Destination Egypt

Ja-sun

We did a cruise on Brilliance - long, long time ago, Easter 2009 - that did the Eastern Med with a port stop in Alexandria. We did a full day excursion to the pyramids at Giza and the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.

Camel + pyramids:

1831941625_CamelsatGiza_5.thumb.JPG.45ee8746bead6656a567415535d3ab02.JPG

The Sphinx:

163990221_TheSphinx_6.thumb.JPG.3da2bd2a00563562768d3c0f0415bb6a.JPG

Crossing the Nile in the Cairo rush hour:

505889178_CrossingtheNileinrushhour.thumb.JPG.f47ee7926d1386c408f070eec22d1670.JPG

Yes, Royal Caribbean has excursions to Cairo/Giza, etc. They have limited cruises to Europe and they stop in Alexandria and/or Port Said. I would recommend an excursion as opposed to getting there on your own, as both Alexandria and Port Said are located ~2 1/2 hours from the Pyramids.

You can see some excursions listed here, but they may not all be current:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=AX11&DestinationCode=

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=AX10&DestinationCode=

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=AX42&DestinationCode=EUROP

23 minutes ago, JennaRCB said:

Yes, Royal Caribbean has excursions to Cairo/Giza, etc. They have limited cruises to Europe and they stop in Alexandria and/or Port Said. I would recommend an excursion as opposed to getting there on your own, as both Alexandria and Port Said are located ~2 1/2 hours from the Pyramids.

You can see some excursions listed here, but they may not all be current:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=AX11&DestinationCode=

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=AX10&DestinationCode=

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=AX42&DestinationCode=EUROP

I tried your links. None of them work for me. They must of been taken down.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

We did a cruise on Brilliance - long, long time ago, Easter 2009 - that did the Eastern Med with a port stop in Alexandria. We did a full day excursion to the pyramids at Giza and the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.

Camel + pyramids:

1831941625_CamelsatGiza_5.thumb.JPG.45ee8746bead6656a567415535d3ab02.JPG

The Sphinx:

163990221_TheSphinx_6.thumb.JPG.3da2bd2a00563562768d3c0f0415bb6a.JPG

Crossing the Nile in the Cairo rush hour:

505889178_CrossingtheNileinrushhour.thumb.JPG.f47ee7926d1386c408f070eec22d1670.JPG

That's awesome. This is what I want to do. Hopeful they will bring it back.

26 minutes ago, Ja-sun said:

I tried your links. None of them work for me. They must of been taken down.

13 minutes ago, Ja-sun said:

That's awesome. This is what I want to do. Hopeful they will bring it back.

Strange that Jenna's links didn't work for you; I was able to open them all.

This one is the excursion we did:

image.png.026432a85660bf8c94cf11dceebac268.png

25 minutes ago, KLA said:

Well, I have a new 'dream' port stop. That looks like it would be incredible. 

It was amazing to see the pyramids, sphinx and the exhibits in the museum up close and in person but it was scary travelling in a convoy with an armed guard and the traders around the pyramids and sphinx were very, very aggressive. If you've ever walked past the market in Labadee, it's that on steroids.

I think it's something that's really worth seeing and I'm glad I got the chance but I'm not in a hurry to go back.

7 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

It was amazing to see the pyramids, sphinx and the exhibits in the museum up close and in person but it was scary travelling in a convoy with an armed guard and the traders around the pyramids and sphinx were very, very aggressive. If you've ever walked past the market in Labadee, it's that on steroids.

I think it's something that's really worth seeing and I'm glad I got the chance but I'm not in a hurry to go back.

Yeah, I've heard that before. I think that's why this is a travel destination that would appeal to me as a port visit as opposed to a place I would feel confident travelling independently. 

I did those excursions independently and can attest at how aggressive the vendors are. Also, we had little kids running alongside our modes of transportations trying to sell us stuff. It is definitely not a place you want to travel as a solo woman. Even my tour private tour guides were a little aggressive.

Yeah I would definitely recommend a tour! I visited Egypt for two weeks last summer and was traveling with my friend and her family. They are Egyptian and live in Cairo so it was super easy traveling for me, but I think I would be totally lost on my own! I felt safe everywhere I went, though.

Vendors can be super pushy at tourist sites for sure. However, outside of pushy vendors at tourist sites, the locals are all very friendly. Honestly at the tourist sites, it's less of a hassle to just give a few Egyptian pounds in tips rather than deal with the haggling. 😅 But remember this phrase: "La, shukran" (No thank you!). I probably said this about 40 times a day in tourist areas!!

I loved Alexandria so if your cruise has two port days (1 in Alexandria and 1 in Port Said), I would recommend doing the Pyramids excursion when in Port Said. Alexandria has a nice waterfront area to walk around.

5 hours ago, Ja-sun said:

I'm currently looking and only see Egypt ports on Celebrity, but that's still RC. I might have to go with Celerity. I'm going to post a different message asking about different ports here this afternoon.

There are some Egypt cruises offered in 2023 on Rhapsody of the Seas: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-to/alexandria-egypt?&country=USA

The itinerary looks awesome!

On 4/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, JennaRCB said:

There are some Egypt cruises offered in 2023 on Rhapsody of the Seas: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-to/alexandria-egypt?&country=USA

The itinerary looks awesome!

I'm looking at RC's sister company Celebrity. They have a cruise Oct 23. Ten night with two days in Egypt. Looks pretty interesting. 

11 hours ago, Ja-sun said:

I'm looking at RC's sister company Celebrity. They have a cruise Oct 23. Ten night with two days in Egypt. Looks pretty interesting. 

I have been looking at this cruise as well as one on rhapsody. I know Rhapsody is quite old and smaller, and celebrity one is a new ship but when you add the cost of flights and accommodation just to get to Europe it all adds up so I will be going RC as price is too good not to.

11 hours ago, khas said:

I have been looking at this cruise as well as one on rhapsody. I know Rhapsody is quite old and smaller, and celebrity one is a new ship but when you add the cost of flights and accommodation just to get to Europe it all adds up so I will be going RC as price is too good not to.

There is a cruise to Egypt on Royal? I didn't see any. Just to the holy land but Egypt wasn't one of their stops.