Covid protocol changes

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Tough to tell right now. Airlines likely will take a wait and see approach about any appeals than risk dropping the mandate then having to re-instate it again.

Exactly.  As much as the airlines want the mask mandate to go away, they are going to be hesitant to do so until the Administration decides if it will appeal. Airlines want it gone, they are over it.

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's the flight attendants that will have to deal with this.  

Minor impact to cruising other than excursions in Alaska on buses, trains, boats, helicopters, etc.  and the 15 minutes boarding a cruise or debarking at a US homeport.

Isn't the mask mandate essentially the stick the CDC was using to incentivize participation in the modified CSO? Not saying cruise lines don't see the benefit in doing so anyway, but removing the penalty may add flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances without a layer of bureaucracy. It could be the first domino to fall in terms of overturning a vaccine mandate (or at least allowing more flexibility for waivers).

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I read, a few weeks ago, that the flight attendants’ union was pushing to keep the mask mandate.  Not sure if that has changed or if the corporate wonks and the flight attendants are in conflict. I sure hope this ruling is upheld.  Time for this nonsense to go away.

The "union" was. The actual flight attendants and pilots want it gone. Corporate wants it gone.

So I think RCL extending their healthy sail protocols through June knowing this was a likely outcome is a sign that things will likely stay as they are through that, but am hopeful they may start getting loose around the edges in terms of relaxing the vaccine mandate on at least a case by case basis. That and masks in AO. Maybe after June I'll hope for relaxed testing protocols.

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I would expect this ruling to quickly be challenged

Biggest takeaway is that once again, the judge ruled that the CDC exceeded its authority just as it did with the conditional sail order.  These types of rulings make it harder for the CDC to implement future restrictions on cruising.

Seems like they changed protocols from Barcelona sailings again

Last week it was this:

image.png.4ec1def2fb62ac13139689c1483764dd.png

Now it is this:

image.png.bdc272ac16ad94403f3f3bbe47dbbb49.png

My question is:
How strictly do they enforce "1 day" ....is it like 24 hours.....So I we test child at 10 AM the day before cruise and we get a boarding time at 11 AM, the test will not be valid anymore?

35 minutes ago, MrHaga said:

Seems like they changed protocols from Barcelona sailings again

Last week it was this:

image.png.4ec1def2fb62ac13139689c1483764dd.png

Now it is this:

image.png.bdc272ac16ad94403f3f3bbe47dbbb49.png

My question is:
How strictly do they enforce "1 day" ....is it like 24 hours.....So I we test child at 10 AM the day before cruise and we get a boarding time at 11 AM, the test will not be valid anymore?

They would say "24 hours" if it was time sensitive within that day.

CDC has updated their page to say masks are now optional. Coast Guard says they won't enforce masks at cruise terminals but leave it up to the cruise lines to determine protocols. TSA also says they won't enforce.  Doesn't look like the administration is going to appeal. Royal posted You probably won't have to wear a mask in cruise ship terminals anymore | Royal Caribbean Blog

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I just got the "Update to protocols" email (which always scares me when I see it) that confirms masks are optional in the terminals

Got it, too. 

"Updated Mask Policy for Royal Caribbean Sailings

As you know, our protocols are fluid and subject to change. We proactively review all of our requirements to meet the guidance of various government and health authorities to ensure the health and safety of our guests and crew.

Due to recent changes in mask guidance, we’ve updated our mask policy, effective immediately, for all of our sailings where we've announced protocols, excluding Singapore departures.

Updated Mask Policy

Masks are optional for vaccinated guests and recommended for unvaccinated children while onboard. In our terminals, masks are optional unless required by local regulation. Some destinations we visit may require masks. Guests under 2 years old don’t need to wear a mask. These protocols are subject to change.

Thank you for your continued understanding as we work diligently to provide you with the very best cruise experience. We look forward to seeing you onboard soon! 

Click the link below to view our sailing protocols and FAQS"

24 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Wonder if this also lifts the mask requirement for Adventure Ocean.

Wording gives me the impression of yes.

Actually, this is a great find.

On the old version of the FAQ page you have this text:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220420225125/https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-wear-a-face-mask-onboard-my-cruise

image.thumb.png.f2d1eb3f630643e58e1a8f9dbe6cb656.png

ANd here's the new version as it exists now, with that snippet removed

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-wear-a-face-mask-onboard-my-cruise

image.thumb.png.238c269c07ed6db74eabc77412f0c5f2.png

@Matt are you able to confirm this, or is this just a copy oversight when adding the blurb about terminals?

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Bayley, re: USA re-entry testing requirements. I hope he's in the loop on something and not just guessing.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/05/05/royal-caribbean-talks-higher-demand-covid-higher-capacity-and-more

"And I think we're all hopeful that that's going to change fairly soon in returning to the United States."

The vax threshold is now 90% instead of 95%.

Still absurd that you can't quarantine in your own cabin (unless you're a solo traveler within 36 hours of disembarkaton). That's some March 2020 stuff right there.

Also missed on the CDC's part is they didn't remove the language that says masks are required in the cruise terminals

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/05/05/cdc-lowers-number-of-vaccinated-passengers-highly-vaccinated-voyages-95-90

On 5/5/2022 at 12:21 PM, smokeybandit said:

Michael Bayley, re: USA re-entry testing requirements. I hope he's in the loop on something and not just guessing.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/05/05/royal-caribbean-talks-higher-demand-covid-higher-capacity-and-more

"And I think we're all hopeful that that's going to change fairly soon in returning to the United States."

From his lips to God's ears.

4 hours ago, Frances said:

We are leaving on June 5 from Copenhagen n have not heard much info from RC n TA on testing. Where do we test. We are not bringing our own tests. No info on activities either

Not difficult to find: Getting Ready to Cruise | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises 

They're not going to tell you exactly where to get tested, but they do give you the guidelines required. They even tell you you can use the eMed tests.

"Guests traveling into Denmark from another country should be sure to look into any requirements your own home country may have for exiting or re-entering its borders.

On arrival, all guests from non-EU or Schengen countries must present a negative Covid-19 antigen test taken within 24 hours of their flight departure time.

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing

All guests sailing from Denmark will need to take one test before boarding, as detailed below. Tests must be supervised with the result provided on a certificate which includes the guest’s name and date of birth. Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests. All tests are at the guests’ expense.

• Vaccinated guests who are up to date must show a negative result for an antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Vaccinated guests who are not up to date will have a 1 day window to take this test. Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for an antigen test taken no more than 1 day before boarding day.
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.

eMed Tests Kits for Guests Traveling from the U.S.

Through our testing partners, U.S.-based vaccinated guests may purchase antigen test kits for vaccinated guests that you can complete online with a supervised virtual video visit, wherever you are, 24 hours 7 days a week to meet travel testing requirements for cruise or flight. Learn more

• 2 weeks later...

I just received an email for my Wonder of the seas cruise on June 2nd updating the protocols.  

It looks like fully vaccinated passengers, as defined by the EU standards (full boosters or last shot within 270 days) can take the antigen test 2 days prior to the cruise vs 1 day. Those not fully vaccinated, still need to be within 1 day.

Those not fully vaccinated also have additional testing for shore excursions. I'm not sure what changed here because I haven't paid a whole lotvof attention because my family is fully vaccinated.

14 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

I just received an email for my Wonder of the seas cruise on June 2nd updating the protocols.  

It looks like fully vaccinated passengers, as defined by the EU standards (full boosters or last shit within 270 days) can take the antigen test 2 days prior to the cruise vs 1 day. Those not fully vaccinated, still need to be within 1 day.

Those not fully vaccinated also have additional testing for shore excursions. I'm not sure what changed here because I haven't paid a whole lotvof attention because my family is fully vaccinated.

I also received an email for my June 26th sailing on Odyssey from Rome. I'm glad to see our testing changed to 2 days prior. That way we can test at home before flying. Still going to use our emed tests, but now I won't have to pack two tests for the five of us.