Covid protocol changes

5 hours ago, spacejam_on_vhs said:

I haven't heard anything either. My sailing is May 14th. While I don't expect anything to change, I just wanted to make sure before I bought the at home tests. Someone asked them on twitter about updated protocols, and they stated people would be notified by email of any protocol changes for upcoming sailings.

Don't pay for the Kits, get them free from the Government.  Chances are they will be the ihealth kind which can be done online.  It does cost about $20.00 to do the online proctored part of the test.  But, if there is a change to the pre-cruise requirement before you cruise, your not out a dime.  If you haven't got one yet, you will be eligible to get up to 8 of them.

https://www.covid.gov/tests

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:

Don't pay for the Kits, get them free from the Government.  Chances are they will be the ihealth kind which can be done online.  It does cost about $20.00 to do the online proctored part of the test.  But, if there is a change to the pre-cruise requirement before you cruise, your not out a dime.  If you haven't got one yet, you will be eligible to get up to 8 of them.

https://www.covid.gov/tests

I don’t agree with this recommendation. 

Until something changes, the abbots test is the only at home test accepted by Royal Caribbean. 

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

Until something changes, the abbots test is the only at home test accepted by Royal Caribbean. 

Well, we have actual testimony in here that say that they have used others.  Please show where Royal says that they only accept Abbott's tests.  

Boarded Odyssey this morning at Port Everglades- all four of my family used the iHealth proctored test. Showed the negative result image file provided by iHealth and had no issues getting on board. They didn’t scan the QR code or anything, just looked at our phone screenshots.

Hope this helps everybody considering using this test as we weren’t 100% sure if it would be accepted.

Paul

There are a couple others.  AND Facebook has several.

Since there is no guarantee, you will even get the free government test. I would say purchase your proctored test from Optum or Emed. 

Expect mask, separate venues and limited offerings to change.......

Don't look for vax or testing to not be a thing for sailings this year. I understand the protocols haven't "actually" been released but considering the protocols for Italy and Spain have ........and include testing and such, expect it.

iHealth Verified COVID Test Service, $24.99 at iHealth website. You can order test kits 2 for $17.98.

The Verified COVID Test Service is a scheduled virtual meeting with an iHealth proctor to ensure the authenticity of your COVID-19 test. A digital report will be issued upon completion of the test.

Important notes about the service

Calendar

Available by appointment only. (Check the availability here.)

person

One person per appointment.

child

Test takers between the ages of 2-14 years old must be accompanied by an adult.

language

Available in English only. (Bringing a translator is allowed.)

timer

Each unused service is valid for 6 months after purchase.

warning

Only unused iHealth tests are accepted for the service.

FYI when I looked at the protocols page for sailings there was no longer any dates. But there was wording to expect these protocols and if something changes, they will notify.

Where are you sailing from?FloridaAmsterdam, NetherlandsAthens (Piraeus), GreeceBaltimore, MarylandBarcelona, SpainBridgetown, BarbadosCape Liberty, New JerseyCopenhagen, DenmarkGalveston, TexasHaifa, IsraelLos Angeles, CaliforniaOne-Way Cruises (in the U.S. and Caribbean)One-Way Cruises (in Europe)Rome (Civitavecchia), ItalySan Juan, Puerto RicoSeattle, WashingtonSeward, AlaskaSingaporeSouthampton, EnglandStockholm, SwedenTarragona, SpainTransatlantic CruisesVancouver, British ColumbiaVenice (Ravenna), Italy

GETTING READY TO CRUISE FROM U.S HOMEPORTS
Here are the latest protocols for our guests sailing from the U.S. Due to the fluidity of this situation, our protocols are subject to change and we are committed to keeping you informed if they do. Future protocols may require boosters, lowered vaccination ages, and changes to testing. Whenever possible we will provide prior notice for any changes. Just the same, we'll let you know if any requirements are reduced or eliminated.
Guests traveling into the U.S. from another country should be sure to look into any requirements your own home country may have for exiting or re-entering its borders.

health-safety-insurance-icon-tile.png
Vaccination Requirement
All Royal Caribbean guests age 12 and older must present proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with the final dose administered at least 14 days before sailing.
Children age 11 and under do not require COVID-19 vaccination to cruise. However, kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the protocols for vaccinated guests. If you are cruising with an unvaccinated child, there are some specific health protocols you will need to be aware of.
Each guest’s regimen must include at least two doses of vaccine unless the guest received the single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine. This is per U.S. CDC guidance, and no exceptions will be made, even if the guest's resident country has authorized a single-shot regimen for a two dose vaccine.
Royal Caribbean will not accept a Certificate of Recovery in lieu of a vaccination record card for guests of vaccine eligible age.
For guests on cruises that visit Bermuda, note that the local government does not recognize Novovax or Covaxin as approved vaccines — guests whose vaccination series consists of either will not be permitted to go ashore. For additional details, visit our FAQ on Cruises to Bermuda.
All crew onboard the ship and at our private destinations are fully vaccinated and receive a booster dose as they become eligible.

health-safety-testing-icon-navigation.png
Testing Requirements
All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing
Before arriving on boarding day, you’ll need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense, to meet boarding requirements in line with U.S. CDC guidance.
  • Vaccinated guests must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.
  • Unvaccinated kids' pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids' test at the terminal.
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test.
Bermuda Cruises
For guests sailing to Bermuda, additional travel and testing requirements may apply to your sailing. Learn more about this requirement.
International Guests
If you're travelling to the U.S. from another country, you'll also need to take a test to enter the U.S.
Learn more about this requirement
Have questions about which tests are accepted?
Read Our Detailed FAQ On Accepted Tests
Unvaccinated Kids Age 2-11: Additional Testing
In addition to the pre-cruise test, unvaccinated kids will take one or two more tests, depending on the length of the cruise. Royal Caribbean's test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests.
At the Terminal
For all cruises, unvaccinated kids will take a complimentary test when checking in at the terminal. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.
Prior to Disembarking
For cruises that are 5 nights or longer, unvaccinated kids will take a complimentary antigen test onboard before the cruise ends. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.
Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested.
Sailings longer than 10 nights may have additional onboard testing requirements.

18 hours ago, Matt said:

I just did a search and can't find anything disqualifying any FDA approved monitored home test. Caveat, I speed read and could have easily missed that the Abbot test is the only accepted one.

A sample of one or two guests who got through check-in with a non-abbot monitored home test isn't enough to assume you can use any FDA approved monitored home test even though that would seem to make sense.

One other important thing. To my knowledge, you cannot select the kind of AG test you get via the USPS web site set up for that purpose.  You'll get what they send you and it may not be the iHealth monitored home test.

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I got the email for Vancouver cruises. No changes compared to the rest, but unfortunately no mention if they're helping with the currently required USA re-entry testing.

They haven’t been helping Canadians with re-entry testing since December so I doubly they are going to do it the other way

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I doubt they would, but I would like to have seen some acknowledgement of it.  

Yes, agree.  We need to know if we are to be helped in some way, or thrown off the ships to fend on our own [for re-entry into the USA].  One way or another.  Otherwise, how can we plan? 

1 hour ago, LinRon2 said:

Yes, agree.  We need to know if we are to be helped in some way, or thrown off the ships to fend on our own [for re-entry into the USA].  One way or another.  Otherwise, how can we plan? 

You need to make your own plans. As a Canadian I have been dealing with this on the US side for my last cruises. 

There is a company (Empower Clinic) contracted to do testing at the Vancouver cruise terminal. I’m not sure if the cruise lines will assist with this or not but my experience on US cruises is that the cruise line just provides a link to the shore side testing company and it is up to you to make an appointment and pay. I had a look at the company’s website and it is quite pricey ($130CAD) for a rapid antigen test. If you are flying home from YVR I recommend getting tested there as it is considerable cheaper ($79CAD) for the same test.

On a side note, I am shocked that the US still has the requirement for a negative test to fly home. It’s highly unusual for Canada to remove a restrictive measure before the US.

19 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm not sure what you purpose is for posting this link.  However, if you really look into it and others, it reenforces my belief that the Government's free COVID ihealth test kit is authorized for use on Royal.  Again, there is nothing that REQUIRES the Abbott test.  I did read in one place that the eMed kit is required and that's if you are doing a "Cruisetour" (that's why I asked several days ago what a "Cruisetour" is)  before or after and you must bring the kit with you, not a pre-test.  

Royal actually says that the pre-cruise test kit must meet the CDC requirements, which the Government's test kit does, imagine that.  I'm still waiting for some actual documentation that says the Abbott test is the only test Royal recognizes.  

10 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

I'm not sure what you purpose is for posting this link.  However, if you really look into it and others, it reenforces my belief that the Government's free COVID ihealth test kit is authorized for use on Royal.  Again, there is nothing that REQUIRES the Abbott test.  I did read in one place that the eMed kit is required and that's if you are doing a "Cruisetour" (that's why I asked several days ago what a "Cruisetour" is)  before or after and you must bring the kit with you, not a pre-test.  

Royal actually says that the pre-cruise test kit must meet the CDC requirements, which the Government's test kit does, imagine that.  I'm still waiting for some actual documentation that says the Abbott test is the only test Royal recognizes.  

Since iHealth markets their test as "for re-entry into the US" very few people are willing to promote iHealth as suitable for boarding a cruise ship in the US.

If you can find anything from iHealth that supports their service is accepted by cruise lines in the US that would be very helpful. 

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Since iHealth markets their test as "for re-entry into the US" very few people are willing to promote iHealth as suitable for boarding a cruise ship in the US.

If you can find anything from iHealth that supports their service is accepted by cruise lines in the US that would be very helpful. 

As Matt has stated in the past, and I agree with him, "It doesn't matter what the manufacturer says about their product, it only matters what Royal says about a product".

But, just to satisfy your question about "returning to the U.S., the says "Self-Testing At Home OR ANYWHERE".  

As I said in an earlier post today, Royal's requirement is that the test kit meet the CDC requirements.  The ihealth does.  In fact, the CDC gives you a link to that test and that's the same link I posted a while back to get the Government's test kit.  

image.thumb.png.d14f2d5a1add0c596ff56c6a5cdd060d.png

9 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

As Matt has stated in the past, and I agree with him, "It doesn't matter what the manufacturer says about their product, it only matters what Royal says about a product".

But, just to satisfy your question about "returning to the U.S., the says "Self-Testing At Home OR ANYWHERE".  

As I said in an earlier post today, Royal's requirement is that the test kit meet the CDC requirements.  The ihealth does.  In fact, the CDC gives you a link to that test and that's the same link I posted a while back to get the Government's test kit.  

image.thumb.png.d14f2d5a1add0c596ff56c6a5cdd060d.png

People who have taken valid tests that are on the CDC list have run into issues boarding when the result letter doesn't have the information required.  They weren't trying to cheat the system or use some back alley test, the lab that created the letter missed something that Royal needs to see.  

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

People who have taken valid tests that are on the CDC list have run into issues boarding when the result letter doesn't have the information required.  They weren't trying to cheat the system or use some back alley test, the lab that created the letter missed something that Royal needs to see.  

I don't doubt you.  But, I'm on a lot of social media and so is my wife and we haven't heard anything like that about the iHealth test kits.  THAT IS THE ONLY TEST KIT THAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE!  Again, the only requirement Royal has for pre-cruise testing is that it meets CDC requirements.  

This is a cut and paste from Royal's site(s) that spell out what tests are acceptable.  It is a cut and paste exactly as it is shown on their site except I have enphosized the word A.  It doesn't say eMed or Abbott.  It say "a". 

"Vaccinated guests must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day"

Again, I'm not trying to be the smartest guy on the block, a wise a$$, or even argumentative, or attacking anyone.  I just want verification from an official Royal document.  As I said, I'll be doing this on May 11th, I'll post a picture of the results and I'll let you know if it works.  

Here is the cut and pasted guideline from the Royal Caribbean website:

Q

Where should I go to get a pre-cruise COVID-19 test? What types of tests are accepted? Where do I submit the results?

A

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from North America (U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada), Italy, Copenhagen, Denmark, and Barcelona, Spain

Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status. If you are unclear on test requirements for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is only accepted for vaccinated guests, and only when it is conducted under live video supervision. Learn more about acceptable telehealth tests including our home test kit.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.
  • Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests.

More on Abbott Brand Tests

We get a lot of questions about Abbott tests, the most commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s accepted.

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision. Learn more about our Abbott telehealth home test kit.
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, if taken at home and not supervised by a telehealth representative, is NOT accepted.

Where to Get Your Test

COVID-19 testing is very common nowadays. Most local pharmacy chains offer it, and most county or state websites can help you find a local public testing site. You can also go to a doctor’s office, diagnostic lab, or telehealth provider to get your test. For example, Quest Diagnostics offers appointments at over 1,500 locations in the U.S. with testing at no cost if you are eligible.

For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 2 to 3 days before your sail date, depending on your age and vaccination status. Learn more about how to calculate which days you can take your test.

Make sure that your selected test provider can provide you a valid results document in time for your travel.

Providing Your Results On Boarding Day

You will present your negative test result at the terminal upon boarding. Print out your result if possible for easy access, as you may need to present it at various points. We will also accept a valid results document presented on your phone. 

If you get a positive test result on your pre-cruise test, please call us at 1-800-256-6649 so we can rework your cruise plans.

8 hours ago, MWag1810 said:

Here is the cut and pasted guideline from the Royal Caribbean website:

Q

Where should I go to get a pre-cruise COVID-19 test? What types of tests are accepted? Where do I submit the results?

A

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from North America (U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada), Italy, Copenhagen, Denmark, and Barcelona, Spain

Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status. If you are unclear on test requirements for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is only accepted for vaccinated guests, and only when it is conducted under live video supervision. Learn more about acceptable telehealth tests including our home test kit.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.
  • Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests.

More on Abbott Brand Tests

We get a lot of questions about Abbott tests, the most commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s accepted.

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision. Learn more about our Abbott telehealth home test kit.
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, if taken at home and not supervised by a telehealth representative, is NOT accepted.

Where to Get Your Test

COVID-19 testing is very common nowadays. Most local pharmacy chains offer it, and most county or state websites can help you find a local public testing site. You can also go to a doctor’s office, diagnostic lab, or telehealth provider to get your test. For example, Quest Diagnostics offers appointments at over 1,500 locations in the U.S. with testing at no cost if you are eligible.

For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 2 to 3 days before your sail date, depending on your age and vaccination status. Learn more about how to calculate which days you can take your test.

Make sure that your selected test provider can provide you a valid results document in time for your travel.

Providing Your Results On Boarding Day

You will present your negative test result at the terminal upon boarding. Print out your result if possible for easy access, as you may need to present it at various points. We will also accept a valid results document presented on your phone. 

If you get a positive test result on your pre-cruise test, please call us at 1-800-256-6649 so we can rework your cruise plans.

Not sure what your Point is with this.  Please explain, do you think Abbot Tests are "REQUIRED BY ROYAL"?  If so, how do you get to that opinion?

20 hours ago, 1st Mate said:

Not sure what your Point is with this.  Please explain, do you think Abbot Tests are "REQUIRED BY ROYAL"?  If so, how do you get to that opinion?

Chill. They cut and paste guidelines so folks can read and interpret for themselves.

If the iHealth telehealth proctored results contain all the information required by Royal, there's no reason to assume they wouldn't be accepted.

Nowhere does it say the Abbott tests are required. They put the clarification out there as Abbott has an at-home test with a nearly identical name to the one that comes with the proctor. Abbott also produces the ID-NOW which is one of the NAAT tests that labs and pharmacies had available, so Royal just wanted to make it clear which Abbott tests were acceptable. Doesn't mean they are the only accepted ones.

Plenty of labs are using different branded tests. The crucial part is that the results have all the info Royal indicates is required.

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Chill. They cut and paste guidelines so folks can read and interpret for themselves.

If the iHealth telehealth proctored results contain all the information required by Royal, there's no reason to assume they wouldn't be accepted.

Nowhere does it say the Abbott tests are required. They put the clarification out there as Abbott has an at-home test with a nearly identical name to the one that comes with the proctor. Abbott also produces the ID-NOW which is one of the NAAT tests that labs and pharmacies had available, so Royal just wanted to make it clear which Abbott tests were acceptable. Doesn't mean they are the only accepted ones.

Plenty of labs are using different branded tests. The crucial part is that the results have all the info Royal indicates is required.

Thank you.  You ae making my point, for sure.  Oh, and I am "Chill".

Going to be quite interesting to see how the Administration handles this ruling.  The judge's opinion on it was very informing, and basically swept away all of the rationale for the government.  But much like any lawsuit, they will appeal and probably get a stay in the interim.  I think all this will do is force them to not extend the mask mandate beyond May 3rd.  They will argue it's set to end on May 3rd anyway, so this will just kind of act like a stop on more extensions after that.

From the CNN article:

Mizelle suggested that the government's implementation of the mandate -- in which non-complying travelers are "forcibly removed from their airplane seats, denied board at the bus steps, and turned away at the train station doors" -- was akin to "detention and quarantine," which are not contemplated in the section of the law in question, she said.
"As a result, the Mask Mandate is best understood not as sanitation, but as an exercise of the CDC's power to conditionally release individuals to travel despite concerns that they may spread a communicable disease (and to detain or partially quarantine those who refuse)," she wrote.

Not familiar with the legal arguments being made, but that's an interesting interpretation.

Also, I second this week will be interesting in the skies. Have about 4 weeks to get it figured out before we take our turn, so hoping for common sense to prevail.