Weird route? July 3 2022 Scandinavia & N. Europe

We're booked on Voyager otS, sailing from Stockholm to Visby Sweden, to Helsinki Finland, to Riga Latvia, to Tallinn Estonia, back to Stockholm. It's going to be an amazing trip, and we're super excited...but why all the doubling-back and forth? Doesn't this seem like it would waste a lot of fuel? I'm just wondering (not complaining.)

(EDIT:  I accidently also posted this in the "shore excursions" thread.  Sorry about that.)

map.jpg

I think @smokeybandit is probably correct. I'm pretty sure Visby and Riga are two of the several alternative ports that the cruise lines scrambled to secure in the wake of the St. Petersburg cancellations. A great many of Voyager's itineraries for summer 2022 included a stop in the Russian port.

53 minutes ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

We're booked on Voyager otS, sailing from Stockholm to Visby Sweden, to Helsinki Finland, to Riga Latvia, to Tallinn Estonia, back to Stockholm. It's going to be an amazing trip, and we're super excited...but why all the doubling-back and forth? Doesn't this seem like it would waste a lot of fuel? I'm just wondering (not complaining.)

They are going to burn most of that fuel anyway since the ship will travel all night.  If the ports were a different order with shorter distances, they would add some giant circles to the trip to use up the time at sea.  As long as the distances are short enough that they don't have to run full speed to make it in time, I don't think the order of ports changes the fuel usage too much.

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

they would add some giant circles to the trip to use up the time at sea.  

Or go reallllllly slow. We once took a cruise where the last overnight trek was from St. Thomas to San Juan. It was amazing how slow we went compared to previous days. The motion, the noise, all of it was so very different. At times it felt like we were just coasting to Puerto Rico.