12 hours ago, CVO 7 Million Miles said:

Hello

Will be first time RC cruiser next year because I want to sail on one of the world's largest cruise ships as a bucket list item.

Anyway, I found this thread when searching for: Royal Caribbean Craft Beer

The craft beer situation didn't sound promising on RC but I also found this link:

https://www.glacier-design.com/royal-caribbean-sails-into-beer-sales/
and was wondering if the article is true, RC is now a better craft beer destination that it was in Jan 2017 (date of this thread).

Thanks

Dan

I'm a bit of a craft beer snob, and I can assure you I simply didn't drink any beer on my last Royal Caribbean cruise. Wasn't worth the calories for the mediocrity of the selection.

As a couple others have said.... RC 'craft' beer, is really non-existent... Basically your commercialized main stream 'craft' beer you can get anywhere nowadays. 

BUT..... likewise, I love to try new and different crafts.... so I make it a point to find local brews at all ports of call. 

I have found some interesting brews at Pirate republic brewing in Nassau, and some good brews in St. Martin as well. (cant remember the name right now) 

Just Google search or try trip adviser for some recommendations at your ports of call. 

~Cheers!

Living in Colorado the craft beer market is wide and deep with too much variety to try them all. 

They could never try to carry that sort of selection on a ship.  

By definition craft beers come from small microbreweries producing small batches in contrast to the big name large scale breweries.  Few microbreweries can produce the volume of beer to fill 26 ships week after week around the world on a consistent basis.  Even some of the larger local microbreweries here struggle to keep their popular products available week after week.  Some craft beers just aren't my thing, it's like they got stoned and threw a bunch of stuff together that has no business being in a beer.  That sort of weirdness isn't going to work well on a cruise ship, only the more popular crafts would and they can't keep them on their own shelves let alone supply a mass market.  

16 hours ago, twangster said:

By definition craft beers come from small microbreweries producing small batches in contrast to the big name large scale breweries.  Few microbreweries can produce the volume of beer to fill 26 ships week after week around the world on a consistent basis. 

This is a good point - I think what people here would really be looking for would be more of the 'macrobrewery' non-lager styles (IPAs, Amber Ales, Porters, etc.) from independent macrobreweries such as Stone or Founders. That said, with Anheuser-Bush rapidly buying up some of the larger popular breweries it'll be easier to distribute small amounts of those non-lager/pilsner styles to ships. I don't ever anticipate this being in large amounts (to the point that you made) but I wouldn't be surprised if a greater variety of styles of beer would be available in certain spaces on some ships such as Playmakers or the Pub (as they're starting to do a little of). I think even having a few kegs on hand of one or two of those styles would go a long way, but again I guess that goes to how many people would actually be purchasing those drinks.