Prescription Meds

Has anybody experienced or heard of people that carry their medications on a ship in other than the containers that the meds came in from the pharmacy, have a problem with it.  Not being able to show proof that you are the legally authorized user of the Meds, what they are and how much?  I've heard of that at airports but not at cruise terminals.  

16 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

It’s always best to carry medication in the original containers.  Should an emergency occur, first responders could look at that bottles and at least have an idea of what someone is supposed to be taking and how other medications may react.  

I totally agree.  But, I have friends that are more worried about the "Security/Law Enforcement part of it.  Or I should say, they are least worried about the Security/Law Enforcement part of it.  

I've told them that if Security/Law Enforcement spots pills/powders/liquids that are not in the proper containers, it's grounds for further investigation.  Can turn into a hassle.  I know, I was one of those Law Enforcement types.  But, it was as a result of something else going on and the questionable substance(s) were found subsequent to a legal search/apprehension/arrest.  But, it's been a while since I have been around such things.

36 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

I totally agree.  But, I have friends that are more worried about the "Security/Law Enforcement part of it.  Or I should say, they are least worried about the Security/Law Enforcement part of it.  

I've told them that if Security/Law Enforcement spots pills/powders/liquids that are not in the proper containers, it's grounds for further investigation.  Can turn into a hassle.  I know, I was one of those Law Enforcement types.  But, it was as a result of something else going on and the questionable substance(s) were found subsequent to a legal search/apprehension/arrest.  But, it's been a while since I have been around such things.

personally, I wouldn’t travel with those types of people 🙂 , but I’m a ”rule follower” and try to make my life hassle free 🙂  we had to have a serious discussion with some family members since they wanted to combine all their meds into a single bottle, and we let them know that they were on their own to get to cruise.  They came to their senses and carry their meds appropriately.

For what it’s worth, here’s Royals take on it. Not sure it counts as a policy, but this is what they say.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-packing-clothing-recommendation

Personal Items:

We suggest that guests transport all their medications in their carry-on luggage to minimize the potential for diversion or loss of medications and advise that all medications remain in their original, labeled prescription containers.  It is also advisable to pack at least three days of extra medication in the event of an unexpected change in the itinerary of the voyage.

This is the 1st time I have heard of carrying medications in original bottles when travelling.   I am on 9 different ones, seems like a lot to carry around 9 pill bottles, maybe more if one is nearly gone.   I just put them in the weekly pill organizer, if trip is longer than a week, I take a 2nd or 3rd weekly organizer that is then vacuum sealed until I start that week. I have traveled the world, 63 countries in just the last 10 years and never had even a question asked.  On the other hand, just a few weeks ago I was traveling, staying about 7 hours away from home when I had my laptop backpack that I keep my meds in stolen from our hotel.   It made for a long day returning home and back the next day, but was so glad to only lose a few days worth of meds rather than the entire bottles.   Insurance will not pay to replace meds not to mention it is a pain to get new Rx for each one.    Reading this though, maybe a good idea for me to pack along a print out of my meds.  

9 minutes ago, Ken Edgar said:

This is the 1st time I have heard of carrying medications in original bottles when travelling.   I am on 9 different ones, seems like a lot to carry around 9 pill bottles, maybe more if one is nearly gone.   I just put them in the weekly pill organizer, if trip is longer than a week, I take a 2nd or 3rd weekly organizer that is then vacuum sealed until I start that week. I have traveled the world, 63 countries in just the last 10 years and never had even a question asked.  On the other hand, just a few weeks ago I was traveling, staying about 7 hours away from home when I had my laptop backpack that I keep my meds in stolen from our hotel.   It made for a long day returning home and back the next day, but was so glad to only lose a few days worth of meds rather than the entire bottles.   Insurance will not pay to replace meds not to mention it is a pain to get new Rx for each one.    Reading this though, maybe a good idea for me to pack along a print out of my meds.  

Yep, it wouldn't hurt to carry the paperwork you get from the pharmacy or at least take a photo of the label on the bottles.  

17 minutes ago, Ken Edgar said:

My wife is also on a lot of meds and she uses a pill organizer as well. It has never been an issue.

Hypothetical scenario...

You have one prescription.  We are encouraged to keep some of our medication in our checked baggage and some in our carry on baggage or purse.  One of the two is not going to be in the original container.  Even TSA or other security needs to have some sense.

I have never had an issue, but just in case, I take a picture of a tablet next to the original prescription bottle, and keep that photo on my phone.

I did miss a carry on item one time after the TSA search.    There are no guarantees, and I wont put all my eggs in one basket.

17 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

Hypothetical scenario...

You have one prescription.  We are encouraged to keep some of our medication in our checked baggage and some in our carry on baggage or purse.  One of the two is not going to be in the original container.  Even TSA or other security needs to have some sense.

I have never had an issue, but just in case, I take a picture of a tablet next to the original prescription bottle, and keep that photo on my phone, just in case.

I have never heard of putting some in checked bags?  Everything I’ve ever heard or read says to ALWAYS keep prescription meds with you. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

13 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I have never heard of putting some in checked bags?  Everything I’ve ever heard or read says to ALWAYS keep prescription meds with you. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Some of us have enough medications in large bottles, we couldn't keep them all in a carry on even if we wanted.

And I have lost items via TSA in the airport.  My meds are important, and I cannot keep them all in one basket.

37 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

Hypothetical scenario...

I have never had an issue, but just in case, I take a picture of a tablet next to the original prescription bottle, and keep that photo on my phone, just in case.

99.99% will not ever run into a problem, for sure.  However, if the medications are in one of the two locations, I'd suggest the one that you have in the carry-on, is in the prescription container, you've go proof right there at you finger tips.  No problem! 

Sorry, I don’t care if I need an entire carry on just for meds, my family’s meds stay with me.  My son has epilepsy.  If he misses a dose, he seizes.  That med is in my handbag right in front of me in the plane.  I won’t even put it in the overhead!  There’s no way any of anybody’s meds go in a checked bag out of my sight.

This is what I got for hubby's medicine.  There are the plastic zip-lock type bags that fit into the travel pouch.  I have two so that we have extra.  We have never had any issue with the airport, cruise, or anything else with using these.  They are flat and fit into our personal carry-on.  I do take a picture of all his Rx to have with us.  His meds are all 3-month supply bottles making it more cumbersome to take the original bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/Medications-Supplement-Organizer-Multi-Function-TeloTravel/dp/B07KF1XH9Z/ref=sr_1_52?crid=32XFLJMCV0S9C&keywords=travel+pill+organizer&qid=1649937684&sprefix=travel+pill%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-52

When my prescription meds run out, I always try to hang on to an empty bottle to use for travel. I put however many pills I need for the trip in that bottle and leave the rest at home in the other bottle. That way I don't have *all my meds with me in case of a theft or lost bag, but I still have the bottle to prove what they are and that they're mine just in case.

DD & I are both on multiple meds, multiple times a day. Hers are absolutely necessary for her seizure disorder, so running out is NOT an option.  My DH still likes to tell the story of when we went to California for a 12 day trip years ago. I had a six week supply of her meds, separated into 2 weeks supplies each, in 3 different carry on bags for the plane, along with a fresh prescription for each one.  I WAS NOT taking the chance of losing, running out, being stranded, etc.

For our last 12 day cruise -- my intention was 1 week in her multi day holder, 2 weeks in bottles (I ask the pharmacy for smaller labeled bottles so I don't have to bring her whole supply) so that I can refill the weekly holder after 7 days.  Go to do the refill, & realized for one of her meds, I only had 1 week in the bottle.  It got us through the cruise, but I was upset about not having that extra week with me.

For myself, I would bring 2 weeks in the med holders, and took pix of my prescription bottles so that I had that as backup.

Our next is a 16 day B2B, so I think the bottles will be necessary.  

All my meds - Rx, OTC, first aid supplies, etc will be in a carryon bag. I never trust them to packed bags

I always carry my prescriptions with me.  Once going through TSA they asked to see them, never on a cruise.  We also take vitamins and numerous supplements, those we just divide up in little snack bags, 1 bag per day and put in our check in luggage.  Traveled the world numerous times, and no one ever asked about them.  None of my 2 prescriptions are on the controlled substance list. 

This is a really interesting topic, thank you everyone for providing your feedback. My son takes a controlled substance so this is great wisdom that in the future we should travel with the original bottle instead of the pill organizer we have been doing in the past just in case this becomes an issue. I never even thought of this being an issue until now!

On 4/14/2022 at 3:55 PM, Brett B said:

This is a really interesting topic, thank you everyone for providing your feedback. My son takes a controlled substance so this is great wisdom that in the future we should travel with the original bottle instead of the pill organizer we have been doing in the past just in case this becomes an issue. I never even thought of this being an issue until now!

Yes, that is the one I would make sure to take the original labeled container.  My DD takes one controlled substance daily, and 2 we carry "as needed", and they are always in their containers.  Just a caveat -- medical marijuana products may still be problematic.