Junior suites

IMHO that's a personal assessment.

Some people like to relax more in their room and want more space to relax with. Some people are chasing loyalty status and JS are the cheaper option. It really depends on your definition of worth it.

I would Royal Up to suites on smaller classes of ships but on quantum class, if it is not a full suite I personally wouldn't bother. Coastal Kitchen is meh, so it wouldn't make me more likely to upgrade on Anthem. Priority boarding is okay but only if I am traveling with others. If it is only a couple of hundred dollars more than a balcony, I say yes but if it is $400+, I personally don't think it is worth it. 

17 minutes ago, Mike farrone said:

Just booked a junior suite on anthem. 8 day cruise April 23 to may 1 2023 out of port liberty NJ. Are junior suites worth the extra money. This is my first time in a junior suite?

"Worth it" is a truly a personal perspective. Also, what you paid at that time factors into the value since suite rates can fluctuate significantly.

Here is an article and some videos Matt posted regarding suites:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/26/royal-caribbeans-junior-suites-what-you-need-know

The JS on Quantum class ships are pretty nice.  

The answer to your question really depends on what you are looking for.....extra space to relax, bigger bathroom, more C & A points, embarkation line with other suite guests, access to Coastal Kitchen?

We like the extra space and points but only if the $$ to book a JS over a balcony are not enormous. 

58 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

We like the extra points but only if the $$ to book a JS over a balcony are not enormous. 

Exactly what my wife and I use as our measure of "worth" when considering a JS over OV balcony right now. If the JS is less than double the cost of an OV balcony, then we would strongly consider booking one... Unfortunately, the math has not worked out for us to date! Seems to always hover just a little more than double the cost of an OV balcony. ☹️  We really would love to try a JS or GS...

(Being silly here! 😀) ... Or maybe we'll book this... $45,000 for 2... someone will book it!

image.thumb.png.fca30304de529ca88f32cac0daa5801d.png

image.thumb.png.0cff018fcdcd888ab1e75d0da0ff2fc5.png

55 minutes ago, Mike farrone said:

Just booked a junior suite on anthem. 8 day cruise April 23 to may 1 2023 out of port liberty NJ. Are junior suites worth the extra money. This is my first time in a junior suite?

Thats a subjective personal assessment. What I will say is Sheryl and I love the JS for a host of reasons. Extra space, bathtub and walk in closet chief among them.

We are actually thinking of booking a JS for one of the quick cruises to Bahamas.  We've never stayed in one before and the prices aren't too bad on the short cruise.  But I agree, it's all a matter of what you're personally looking for.

I agree with what most people have said it is a matter of perspective. Since this is your first time booking a junior suite I would say keep it for the sailing and once your cruise is over compare your personal experience in a junior suite to your experience in a balcony only then can you make a determination if it is worth the extra money on the next cruise. 

Personally after I booked our first junior suite and completed the cruise the suite bug bit me and I can say we've never stayed in a balcony since. Just a warning it can be difficult to go back to balcony after experiencing a suite and the junior suite is simply the gateway that leads to even larger and larger suites. 

Bonus for Junior Suite, double points towards your Crown and Anchor level to move up.
Bonus for a Junior Suite on  Anthem, 2 bathrooms (one is a 1/2 bath)....for the J3 an J4 Junior Suite.
I've not yet done a JS on Anthem.  I did a balcony-spacious ocean view-which is quite spacious but all the way forward-so A LOT Of walking and I just completed a week on Anthem in an interior room which has the virtual balcony...and I must say, I would do it again!  I have a JS booked for next year on Anthem.  I'm sure I will love it, and I was willing to spend the $$ for the double points.  I have also gotten a nearly $600 price drop, so whatever you book, keep an eye on the prices, if they fall have your Travel Agent or if you booked direct with Royal, contact Royal, do an adjustment.

21 hours ago, Mike farrone said:

Funnily enough I have my eye on that exact same cruise and am asking myself that exact same question.

We have never been ones to choose expensive real estate on a cruise ship because we are the always-out-and-about type of cruiser and usually just go for the cheapest room with a window. Depending on pricing and ship, that could mean anything from a promenade view interior to an OV balcony but never anything higher than that.

However, our adult son will be joining us on this one and I'm thinking the second bathroom may clinch the deal. Even so, there's still quite a big difference in cost between the JS and the ultra-spacious ocean view so I'm really not sure what to do and that money could be put towards our pre-cruise stay in NY. Decisions, decisions...

14 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Bonus for Junior Suite, double points towards your Crown and Anchor level to move up.
Bonus for a Junior Suite on  Anthem, 2 bathrooms (one is a 1/2 bath)....for the J3 an J4 Junior Suite.
I've not yet done a JS on Anthem.  I did a balcony-spacious ocean view-which is quite spacious but all the way forward-so A LOT Of walking and I just completed a week on Anthem in an interior room which has the virtual balcony...and I must say, I would do it again!  I have a JS booked for next year on Anthem.  I'm sure I will love it, and I was willing to spend the $$ for the double points.  I have also gotten a nearly $600 price drop, so whatever you book, keep an eye on the prices, if they fall have your Travel Agent or if you booked direct with Royal, contact Royal, do an adjustment.

Do you only get the double C&A points if you book a Junior Suite in your original booking or is it the same if you successfully Royal Up?

18 minutes ago, jbmakingmemories said:

Do you only get the double C&A points if you book a Junior Suite in your original booking or is it the same if you successfully Royal Up?

You have to actually book the JS. With Royal Up, you get all the other perks but only the points corresponding to your original cabin type.

Sometimes it can we worth paying the difference to upgrade. I've seen people report that the difference in price was the same, less or just a few dollars more than the minimum RU bid.

26 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

You have to actually book the JS. With Royal Up, you get all the other perks but only the points corresponding to your original cabin type.

Sometimes it can we worth paying the difference to upgrade. I've seen people report that the difference in price was the same, less or just a few dollars more than the minimum RU bid.

Thanks for the quick response, Fiona! The difference between the minimum bid and paying to upgrade is significant. We perfectly enjoyed our OV balcony on Odyssey in November and are struggling to determine if a JS is worth the $500 cost to Royal Up (min. bid).

22 hours ago, Mike farrone said:

Just booked a junior suite on anthem.

Hey Mike,

We did a 5 day cruise out of New Jersey on the Anthem in 2019. We had a JS on deck nine that was a J3 category. We REALLY liked the extra room and bathrooms. Yes, bathrooms. A full bath room with tub/shower and a 1/2 bath across from the full. We did a B2B this year on the Odyssey with a J3 junior suite and were very happy with room and baths. For us, the extra cost was worth it. We're not interested in the BIG money suites. A JS fits us perfectly plus you have the option of dinner in the Coastal Kitchen. 

33 minutes ago, jbmakingmemories said:

Thanks for the quick response, Fiona! The difference between the minimum bid and paying to upgrade is significant. We perfectly enjoyed our OV balcony on Odyssey in November and are struggling to determine if a JS is worth the $500 cost to Royal Up (min. bid).

That would totally not be worth it to me. I have an obstructed balcony on Odyssey next month and the minimum bid for a JS is $80 pp. I passed. I'm happy with the cabin I have and would rather spend that money on something else.

I did however bid slightly over the minimum $100 pp for a shot at a GS as that has a bit more value attached than simply some extra space.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-suites-program

i would check out this link. When i was doing my royal up bids i skipped the junior suite and only went for grand or two bedroom ocean view. The suite perks are so minimal for junior suites it wasnt worth the $400 (total) minimum bid (serenade, 7day alaska cruise). I picked my own cabin that im sort of happy with, pending a large upgrade, but i wouldnt pay all that much for a juinor suite when you dont really get the suite privileges like free drinks etc. 

We have our first JS on Radiance this May in Alaska. I booked it the day Alaska sailings were released. I knew I wanted an Aft cabin and we’re bringing our new college graduate with us. Really no “benefits” for us except for the extra room and that coveted corner Aft. No CK on that class. 

Now perhaps the biggest benefit for this particular cruise is it was booked during double points and we have a 3 night land tour beforehand so a total of 10 nights=40 points. 

We are perfectly happy in a standard OV balcony and will continue to book them. I’d rather take more cruises then spend a lot of money on suites. We’re transitioning to our “bucket list” cruises so now will have expensive air fares to consider too. We live in Florida so have been lucky to drive to ports. 

I may come back in June and edit this post after our JS experience. What’s the saying? “Never say never?” 😂

I booked a jr suite on adventure out of Galveston (4 nights) during a double points promotion that sailed this past Jan.  Essentially earning quadruple points.  It was cheapest ive ever seen a suite (my family of 5 cruised for about $1800. Thats with a jr suite and an interior room(basically $90/person/day). So it was worth it to me on that particular cruise. The points got me into Platinum status, which got me free parking in Vegas via MGM tier matching.  The room benefits were nice, but in normal times im more of an interior room guy.  Im trying to get to Diamond some day without breaking the bank and this was the best opportunity ive seen to do so.

Couldn't pass up that deal. And ive never seen such cheap suites. Without those factors, it wouldnt be "worth it" to me.  Maybe if they offer double points again,  during the slow season, and during a global pandemic. 🤣 If i had to do it again(and had the vacation days) i would have done b2b2b and fast tracked my way to Diamond.