Royal's Intentions

Ja-sun

So I have been watching, everyday, the price of the Izumi Hibachi experience. The sale price has remained 15%, but the price just went up by $10pp. Is this something they do often? Maybe trying to catch people off guard and make a little extra money? I could see if maybe closer to cruise time, but not 6 months out.

There is no rhyme or reason to the cost of CP purchases. You could see 45% off but it still be the same price as 20% off or even more. Prices will continue to increase because of inflation and other factors. This is normal across all businesses, especially if said business had no actual revenue for 15months. But also take into consideration that Hibachi is a $10 upcharge on top of what you pay for Izumi.

Royal adjusts pricing of many items based on sales trends and historical data on a per cruise basis.  One week suddenly a beverage package may decrease but it only applies to a particular sail date and a specific ship.  A shore excursion price may drop one day until enough people buy it at the lower price then the price goes back up.  

Royal has always done a lot of data mining and data analytics to influence pricing.  Leave no dollar on the table.  It seems to work for them.  Their reported earnings from these types of purchases have consistently yielded better performance compared to similar cruise lines that have more fixed pricing.  

It can work out in your favor if you watch and check prices frequently.  It drives some guests crazy because they don't want to bother looking for the best deal.  I kinda like it because I've saved a lot of money over time putting the effort into checking prices in the cruise planner often.  

Supply and Demand at work, capitalism at work.  If an item isn't selling as fast as you think it should, you lower the price.  If an item is selling well, you raise the price.  If the item is becoming short in supply, you raise the price.  If the item is stocking up, you lower the price.  If your policies say that you raise or lower the price at certain times/dates/milestones, you do whatever the policy says.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I hope they make a lot of money, hire more employees, build more ships, buy more product to sell onboard, create more competition.  

Agreed.....I'm sure they have a complex formula to extract as much money as possible.   Not enough people buying a package, the amount goes down.  Too much demand and the price goes up.  The dollar amount is what you should pay attention to, the percentages are just a way to get your attention.  

Check the cruise planner often and you may be able to snag a good deal and save money.

No rhyme or reason. I am on the first sailing of Radiance next Saturday and the dining prices are just outragous ($229 per person). I am assuming this is going to be similar to a shakedown cruise and you would think dining prices would be lower as they try to get things ironed out but no. Highest prices for 3 dining package I have ever seen on any cruise! Refreshment package is also very pricey. The %off means nothing on the cruise planner.

13 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

No rhyme or reason. I am on the first sailing of Radiance next Saturday and the dining prices are just outragous ($229 per person). I am assuming this is going to be similar to a shakedown cruise and you would think dining prices would be lower as they try to get things ironed out but no. Highest prices for 3 dining package I have ever seen on any cruise! Refreshment package is also very pricey. The %off means nothing on the cruise planner.

Yep, I hear ya.  But, I've found the same thing with everything, not just cruising.  Eggs, cars, milk, everything.  

1 hour ago, Ja-sun said:

Now I'm just hoping it goes back to the one time I seen it at 50%. Not sure how many times they do that but I check every day.

50% is meaningless since the price shown is AFTER the supposed discount is applied.  You want to keep an eye on the actual cost in $ not the percentage.

Example - which is the better deal?
1) $50 for dinner (after 50% off)
2) $45 for dinner (after 30% off)

Number 2 of course because it costs less!  If you bought the first deal, you've fallen for a marketing gimmick.