Double Points - Results

13 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Ceil and I cruised 22 years to get 171 points - all pre Covid and all non-suites.  We averaged about 1.5 cruises per year, but not all Royal.  So we make D+ on our November cruise and sailed for the first time as D+ last week.  Double Points didn't help us at all.  And I don't think they ever will.  Seriously we will never get to Pinnacle...

I think we have been incredibly fortunate with the Double Points offers. It was an incredibly astute move by Royal to offer it. I wish more had been as fortunate.

The promotion has worked out well for us even though we would be Diamond even without it.

We were the "one cruise a year" people but decided to start booking Junior Suites twice per year with the hopes of attaining Diamond by early 2021.  Then COVID happened and 4 of our 5 cruises got postponed.   Thanks to the double-double promotion we achieved Diamond last October, have sailed once in 2022 and have one more double-double cruise coming up end of May that will get us to 150 points (and our first glass block).  

Never thought we would come close to D+ but thanks to the promotion, we should get there at the end of 2023.  Not a chance we will see Pinnacle. 

5 hours ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

benefit from the double points promotion

Yes. The short version: I will be diamond after only 4 cruises with Royal (instead of the 10+ we expected to do).

Long version:

One was pre-covid (7 days in a star suite) - regular 2 pt per night, so 14 points (also our first cruise on Royal).

Then we did an 8 day suite at double (32 pts) and then a 7 day suite (technically a 3/4 day back to back - I'm counting it as one cruise, 28 pts) also at double. We are currently at 74 points.

I'm doing a solo 3-day in May to get us to Diamond. Inside cabin, low cost (about the same cost as a drink package for one person on a 7-day cruise). That way we won't be buying the alcohol packages going forward.

Diamond was our original goal pre-covid and we thought it would take us about 4 years, minimum (ten 7/8-day cruises with the first one in the suite). We didn't expect to be in suites again, but we keep justify the extra $$... I think the star suite changed how we cruise forever.

Our last cruise on Allure (6 night in JS) was a result of a FCC from a cancelled trip (5 nights balcony) on Independance. We love the JS, but werent able to justify it again until we received that FCC. 

So to go from an expected 5 points, to the 24 we received (6x2 for JS, x2 for promotion) was simply wonderful.

6 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

Only 7 7-night cruises in a suite.🥂🛳️

Yep.  So true.  That would only take me about 4 to 5 years to accomplish.  As stated, I'm 70+, I hope I can keep healthy or alive for that time.  🥴  BUT, I am very healthy.  My Dr. says that I have the heart of an 18 year old, transplanted last year (no no, just kidding 🙄 I have my original heart and I wouldn't accept a heart anyway, that's for people that have much more/many more years than I).  My wife and I are blessed to be very healthy, I do hope to be cruising well into my 80s.  So, I guess D+ is attainable.  

25 minutes ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

Our last cruise on Allure (6 night in JS) was a result of a FCC from a cancelled trip (5 nights balcony) on Independance. We love the JS, but werent able to justify it again until we received that FCC. 

So to go from an expected 5 points, to the 24 we received (6x2 for JS, x2 for promotion) was simply wonderful.

Sort of like us last week.  We had a free Bahamas/Caribbean cruise (from points on our BOA RCCL VISA card) for Harmony in 2020 that was cancelled.  So we rolled that into a JR Suite - our first Suite in all of our 22 years cruising on RCCL!  Now I am doomed.  Cecile wants all our cruises to be in JR Suites!!!  So last week, while in our JR Suite, we booked the ANTHEM b2b for the 2023 Norwegian Fjords in room 11636 - a JR Suite...

13 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Sort of like us last week.  We had a free Bahamas/Caribbean cruise (from points on our BOA RCCL VISA card) for Harmony in 2020 that was cancelled.  So we rolled that into a JR Suite - our first Suite in all of our 22 years cruising on RCCL!  Now I am doomed.  Cecile wants all our cruises to be in JR Suites!!!  So last week, while in our JR Suite, we booked the ANTHEM b2b for the 2023 Norwegian Fjords in room 11636 - a JR Suite...

The closet, extra room and the bathroom really do make a difference dont they?  We do love the JS and although we cant justify the cost every time, we shall endeavour to book one as often as we can.

Double points worked great for us! We were gold pre-covid. Had numerous cruises canceled. Took the 125% credit and booked 

4 cruises J.S or higher. Just got off Odyssey and hit diamond. Ended up with 99 points. D+ seems reachable now.

Money we'll save from not needing drink package will go to Jr suite bookings going forward. Timing is everything!

On 4/13/2022 at 12:58 PM, YOLO said:

Ceil and I cruised 22 years to get 171 points - all pre-Covid and all non-suites.  We averaged about 1.5 cruises per year, but not all Royal.  So we made D+ on our November cruise and sailed for the first time as D+ last week.  Double Points didn't help us at all.  And I don't think they ever will.  Seriously we will never get to Pinnacle...

If you really wanted to, there's a way to go from D+ to Pinnacle in one cruise. The time may have passed for that opportunity, though.

We were lowly Gold with 21 points from three 7-night cruises in a balcony cabin. With the Covid cancellations and opting for FCC’s, we took one cruise in December and have a B2B in May. All upgrading to Junior Suites (thank you FCC’s) and the extra points. This will make us Diamond. Pretty nice jump from Gold to Diamond in a short amount of time. I look at it as maximizing points…not chasing points! 

3 hours ago, Cakemeister said:

If you really wanted to, there's a way to go from D+ to Pinnacle in one cruise. The time may have passed for that opportunity, though.

Wow!!!  OK, you hooked me and you probably knew you would.  So please tell me more.  I need more info on this opportunity that has passed me by...

34 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Wow!!!  OK, you hooked me and you probably knew you would.  So please tell me more.  I need more info on this opportunity that has passed me by...

The world cruise next year is 275 days, in a suite = 550 CAS points, plus 170 from Diamond Plus= more than 700! Easy peasy! 🙂

My first cruise as Diamond was Thanksgiving 2019..I crossed the D+ threshold in January thanks to double points and suites and for all the extra saved up vacay time from the canceled pandemic cruises.

Now in typical Royal IT fashion they have since householded me with my brother so they think I'm at the second tier of D+ with the extra amenities and the solo supplement discount 🙄