Traveling with Friends Tested Positive

Your cruise is almost 3 weeks away.  How sick is the other couple?  If they have minor sneezing and coughing and aren’t showing serious symptoms, then I think you’re worrying over nothing. By the time of your cruise, they will be beyond their quarantine period and an antigen test should be negative (my son tested negative 7 days after his positive). Alternately, they can do a PCR test now and use a certificate of recovery to sail.  The real key is going to be if they get “sick” and need medical care. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-recovered-from-covid-19-need-to-be-vaccinated-or-take-a-test-to-sail

If I’ve recently recovered from COVID-19, will I still need to be vaccinated to sail? Will I still have to take a COVID-19 test before or during my cruise?

For Cruises Departing the U.S. ports, Puerto Rico, Canada, Denmark, Italy, and Spain

A Certificate of Recovery will not be accepted in lieu of a vaccination record card for guests of vaccine eligible age. All Royal Caribbean guests age 12 and older must present proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with the final dose of their vaccine administered at least 14 days before sailing. 

For all sailings departing on or after March 11, 2022, a Certificate of Recovery, for a positive COVID-19 case at least 11 days before boarding but no more than 90 days ago, may be provided in lieu of a pre-cruise COVID-19 test result to board the ship if it meets certain requirements. However, certain ports (listed below) will not permit guests to go ashore using a Certificate of Recovery. The following two documents must be presented:

1. A certified medical health certificate from a doctor stating that you have fully recovered from COVID-19. It must meet the following requirements:
    • Official letterhead from a healthcare provider, public health official or telehealth provider showing:
      • Their name
      • Their address
      • Their phone number
      • Confirmation of your recovery and completion of isolation 
    • Must be typed (not handwritten) and signed by the provider
    • Must confirm the sample collection date of the positive PCR test, which must be a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise
  2. A positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise. An antigen test result will not be accepted with a Certificate of Recovery. The test results document from your test provider must include the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your positive result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “positive” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.

NOTE: Though Royal Caribbean will accept documentation meeting these requirements to board, many countries are not currently accepting Certificates of Recovery. In these ports, guests who provided certificates would not be allowed to debark.

The following ports are currently not accepting a Certificate of Recovery for debarkation:

• Curacao
  • St. Kitts
  • Panama
  • Panama Canal
  • Jamaica
  • Bonaire
  • St. Lucia
  • Guatemala
  • Colombia
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • St. Vincent
  • the Grenadines
  • Haiti
  • Cayman Islands
  • Bermud

9 hours ago, Ed MacLean said:

Our friends have spoken to their Doctor and was warned that it takes 30-60 days and can worsen over time.  

It can worsen but for some people there are minimal effects and it lasts a week.  

I'm assuming they are vaccinated since they planned to cruise.  Many vaccinated people quickly recover.

The doctor isn't wrong necessarily, anything is possible, but the vast majority of vaccinated individuals who are otherwise in good health typically report mild symptoms if any and back to normal in a short timeframe.