I'm so confused about dining reservations

Tammy LR

We're less than 60 days away from our cruise, and I'm getting a little confused about dining. Our app isn't working, but I see our reservation online. 

We purchased the 3 - night dining package. We made one night's reservation, but we can't make reservations for the other two nights until we get on the ship - is this correct?

Also, we have MTD. Can I go online now, and make reservations for each night? If I can, what happens when we get on the ship and schedule the other two nights of our Dining Package? Do I tell them we won't be in the dining room that night?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Correct, the dining package gives you a price break in exchange for not being able to make reservations prior to boarding.  That’s the trade off.

You can(and IMHO) and should make MTD reservations in advance.  Guesstimate when you’ll want to eat.  Once on board, make the rest of your specialty dining reservations.  You can then either cancel the MTD ones in the app or let them know at the hostess station.

Yes, stop at one of the specialty restaurants when you board and you will be able to reserve for the week.  You can also change the 1st night reservation if you want.  It doesn't matter which specialty restaurant you go to so if there is a line at one, try another.

12 hours ago, wordell1 said:

Yes, stop at one of the specialty restaurants when you board and you will be able to reserve for the week.  You can also change the 1st night reservation if you want.  It doesn't matter which specialty restaurant you go to so if there is a line at one, try another.

Great! Thank you so much. I'll make sure it's the first thing we do when we get on the ship. 

13 minutes ago, spacejam_on_vhs said:

Follow up to this topic but if you have the UDP, can you book your reservations on the app once you board this ship? I know you can't book ahead, but I didn't know if there was an option to book on the Royal App once onboard or if you do need to go to one of the specialty dining places.

Yes but it is easier to have the specialty restaurants do them. I found the app had more limited times. I had the UDP on Mariner in Jan and I like to eat at or a little after 8pm. My app wasn't showing like an 8 or 8:15. But the last times around 8:45 and 9pm. The host at Jamie's was able to get my perfect times. And it took her like 3min to do all the nights.