Oasis of the seas from Cape Liberty

For the first time ever, we're going to cruise from Cape Liberty (Oasis of the seas, October 2nd!)

I got a couple questions regarding this port, that i hope someone could answer:

How far is it from Times Square (Our hotel is located in times square).

Considering NYC can get really busy with traffic; would you recomend booking an hotel right near the port for the night before (This would mean leaving our Times square hotel for an hotel near the port to make sure we make it) or this wouldnt be needed? 

Thank you so much for reading, Octavio. 

35 minutes ago, octaviocloss said:

How far is it from Times Square (Our hotel is located in times square).

Depends on traffic. Pop your hotel address into google maps and take a look.

35 minutes ago, octaviocloss said:

Considering NYC can get really busy with traffic; would you recomend booking an hotel right near the port for the night before (This would mean leaving our Times square hotel for an hotel near the port to make sure we make it) or this wouldnt be needed? 

If you are going to do tourist stuff in Manhattan, stay in Manhattan. 

If you are flying in the night before and just sleeping in a hotel and doing nothing touristy, fly into Newark Airport and stay at a Newark Airport hotel.

This blog post should be helpful: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruises-new-york-new-jersey

100% agree with Matt and here a few things to note:

Times Square hotels are ridiculously expensive so make sure you research that. If you get a good deal it's worth it. What is the plan to get from Times Square to Cape Liberty? Are you driving? What day of the week is it? Every day is busy over there but there is usually a sweet spot on Sunday mornings where there is way less traffic but this is early morning. If you do a car service or something like Uber, book in advance.

Newark isn't the best area of NJ...so for real, don't expect to be able to walk places from your hotel. 

for reference I work in NYC and live on Long Island. I don't know how long it takes to get from NYC to Cape Liberty. When you check, I'd check times of the day and days of the week to get a better idea.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Depends on traffic. Pop your hotel address into google maps and take a look.

If you are going to do tourist stuff in Manhattan, stay in Manhattan. 

If you are flying in the night before and just sleeping in a hotel and doing nothing touristy, fly into Newark Airport and stay at a Newark Airport hotel.

This blog post should be helpful: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruises-new-york-new-jersey

We staying in NYC for a whole week before heading to the ship, that’s why we booked the hotel in Times Square; I might move my last night there from that hotel to Newark airport hotel Matt, that’s exactly the info I needed. Thank you so much, glad to be here. 

13 hours ago, octaviocloss said:

We staying in NYC for a whole week before heading to the ship, that’s why we booked the hotel in Times Square; I might move my last night there from that hotel to Newark airport hotel Matt, that’s exactly the info I needed. Thank you so much, glad to be here. 

Before moving your last night, check to see if any hotels, close to the terminal, offer free shuttle service. We are doing the same as you, but we found a hotel that will let us park there while we are on the cruise. Saves the parking lot fee.

I lived right next to the Lincoln Tunnel on the Jersey side. If you’re traveling on a Sunday morning, traffic is light in both directions. On a weekday, traffic can be a mess going into the city, both through the tunnel and every approach to it, especially the NJ Turnpike. Coming out of the city on weekdays is a bit better, but still gets congested on the Jersey side when you get out of the tunnel. 
On a Sunday, without any unforeseen issue, you can make it from Times Square to the tunnel entrance quickly…then zip through and onto the NJ Turnpike South. From there it’s a quick ride to the cruise port, all highway until the approach road. Also, if you’re driving, the fee in the parking garage is $25 per night. But it’s right next to the cruise terminal…very convenient.

Before considering moving to a hotel near the port for your last night realize that you will likely be sitting in Saturday traffic in the city.  This will definitely increase the cost of a yellow cab (not recommended) and potentially increase the cost of an Uber/Lyft (preferred method).  Sunday morning travel in NY is typically light, unless it is the NYC Marathon-but that's in November.