In need of help!!

KimV

My question is, we are taking our 12 year old granddaughter as a surprise for her 13th birthday.  She lives in a different state than us but will be traveling to Florida with us.  She arrives in our state the day before our cruise so she will have to be tested in her home state, correct? In order comply with the 2 day rule she will need to be tested the day before she arrives to our home.  Can we send her the eMed testing from Royal Caribbean and have her parents log on to complete the testing with her even though they will NOT be cruising?  Can this be done without the proctors stating it is for a cruise?  I will also state that we are all vaccinated.  We are really trying to keep this a secret from her until we arrive at the cruise port in Miami.  Not sure we are going to be able to😟  Any help to these questions is appreciated.

The eMed proctors will have no knowledge of the purpose of the test. They follow a strict script, so there's nothing to worry about from that perspective. The biggest issue is that, as a minor, her parents will need to log in to the app, because they have to show their ID, so if her parents are not coming to Florida with her then you will want to have them do the test with her at home first.  

I'd send the test kit to the parents to have her take it before she leaves to see you. If for some unfortunate reason she tests positive, you won't have an upset young lady already with you unable to enjoy the surprise. The test proctors don't know or care the reason folks take the test...they're just verifying that it's done correctly. Happy Sailing! 

What if we choose to use Walgreens for our testing taking the rapid NAAT test and she has the same done by her doctor, will the NAAT test work for Royal Caribbean?  The Walgreens website states that it meets pre-travel requirements...does that include RC?

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

She can be tested the day of the cruise, the day before the cruise or 2 days before the cruise.  When are you planning on telling her?

What if we choose to use Walgreens for our testing taking the rapid NAAT test and she has the same done by her doctor, will the NAAT test work for Royal Caribbean?  The Walgreens website states that it meets pre-travel requirements...does that include RC?

23 minutes ago, bobroo said:

I think your bigger hurdle might be the parental consent forms and the  passport for your granddaughter.  

We are all set there....her mom is flying with her to our house and will have all the necessary paperwork....our biggest worry is getting her tested 2 DAYS before the cruise and making sure the NAAT test is sufficient for RC

Your granddaughter can be tested anywhere.  You can always have her parents help her test "Because she is going to visit her grandparents and we are being safe where the old people do not get Covid".  That way she is tested and not told about the cruise.  As far as she know she needs to do it to be with her grandparents.  I guess that is a half truth. 🙂

1 hour ago, KimV said:

Yes.

42 minutes ago, KimV said:

We are all set there....her mom is flying with her to our house and will have all the necessary paperwork....our biggest worry is getting her tested 2 DAYS before the cruise and making sure the NAAT test is sufficient for RC

If Mom is flying with her to your house, just do an E-Med test when they get there, that's pretty easy

2 hours ago, KimV said:

A NAAT test is fine, not a problem with Royal.

53 minutes ago, Colombia20102018 said:

You are not asking this but just in case you have not thought about it, do you need a letter or some other document to travel internationally with your granddaughter without her parents? 

“The requirements and expectations to take a minor on a cruise that I am not a parent or legal guardian of”would be an excellent future Blog post.

30 minutes ago, Colombia20102018 said:

You are not asking this but just in case you have not thought about it, do you need a letter or some other document to travel internationally with your granddaughter without her parents? 

OP indicated all of that was taken care of.  Mom is bringing documentation when she brings the child.

21 hours ago, Colombia20102018 said:

Yes, there is additional paperwork.  Royal requires a notarized letter giving permission.  When I did this with my Girl Scouts I also had the parents notarize a letter giving me the ability to act on the child's behalf in case of a medical emergency-it was a narrow based letter-during the travel period of  and any extension of said trip based on delays-I also had them give me a photocopy of their medical cards.