Canceling a Package to Get a Better Price on the Same Package

I have always been a big supporter of purchasing package(s) as soon as they become available and I STILL AM!  Purchasing things like the Deluxe "Drunk'in" Package 😀, is absolutely no problem finding a better price later, canceling the first package and then purchasing the better priced same package.  

So, my question is:  Isn't it possible to cancel a package, like a shore excursion, and it get sold out before you can get the new purchase started/completed.  OR should you first purchase the new priced package before you cancel the original one (I don't even know if you can do that)?  

22 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Don't have to worry about a drink package selling out. Safe bet for dining package would be to call. That way in the event it was sold out they could override it.

Can't buy a package if it was already purchased.

Yes, my concern was/is about those packages that can get "sold out" and obviously the drinking packages can't get sold out.

And that's what I'm afraid of, getting sold out after you purchase an excursion package, canceling it for the purpose of purchasing the same package for a better advertised price and then getting denied because it's sold out.  It makes sense that you can't purchase a package that you have already purchased but you never know what "Land Side" will allow or won't.

But, after thinking about it, I doubt that there would be a sale on an item if it is very near being sold out, especially if there is a bunch of time before embarkation day.  But, I guess anything is possible.

Thanks for the info/response

Overall, I have not had any problem cancelling a previous booked excursion and rebooking for less money.  I did have one instance recently where this did happen.  I saw that the price was cheaper and cancelled my current booking.  I then got errors that it was sold out.  I was aggravated.  Thankfully the availability reset and I was able to rebook it, but I was certainly panicked.    

As for dining, I have seen the 3-day dining sell out, so I would be careful if I were cancelling that.

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have read of more than one account of someone cancelling a cabana with the intention of rebooking at a lower price and when they tried to rebook, it showed as “sold out”.  In that particular situation I would definitely recommend that you call to make the change.

Yep, now this was on Brand X that this happened on.  My old Army buddy and I were on Brand X's website, we had already booked our cruise weeks earlier.  We noticed that they offered a package the allowed you to embark early, I think they called it "Faster to the Fun" or something like that.  He put his information in while I was, he finished up a few seconds faster than I did and I got the "Sold Out" message or what ever wording they use.  We called and there was nothing they could/would do about it.  Our reservations were linked.  This, along with a few other things is why we are no longer loyal to Brand X and I won't use their name again.  

So you can't purchase a package if it's already purchased.

So you would have no choice but to cancel first.

The last couple times I did it, I called Royal. They were able to check how many slots were still available BEFORE cancelling to see if the chance of it getting snatched out from under us was a possibility. I enjoyed that bit of security.

I know many of us here would prefer to do things ourselves but Royal can help. They were also able to immediately unlock the OBC I had used on the initial purchase so I could turn right around and use it on the repurchase, rather than potentially waiting for it to clear the queue 24 -48 hours later.

14 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

So you can't purchase a package if it's already purchased.

So you would have no choice but to cancel first.

The last couple times I did it, I called Royal. They were able to check how many slots were still available BEFORE cancelling to see if the chance of it getting snatched out from under us was a possibility. I enjoyed that bit of security.

I know many of us here would prefer to do things ourselves but Royal can help. They were also able to immediately unlock the OBC I had used on the initial purchase so I could turn right around and use it on the repurchase, rather than potentially waiting for it to clear the queue 24 -48 hours later.

Whenever I see your screen name I think of this:

Was in my cruise planner for one of my upcomming cruises and noticed that a couple has the number of remaining spots listed.  This could be helpful to see if you want to risk the cancel/rebook if the spots are low.  Probably would want to factor in what the savings are for it.  Example, maybe not worth the risk for $5 a person, but for $20 a person then spin the wheel!

image.png.e8abb6d102960392fb26d336e12ead8b.png

Unrelated to the main topic, but I noticed that prices really went UP today for dining and drinks packages for my bookings.  WAY up.  The UDP on my Sept Voyager NE/CAN cruise went from $168PP to $259PP. Yikes.  Maybe they are getting close to selling out.  I noticed the prices were up all around though.

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Maybe they are getting close to selling out.  I noticed the prices were up all around though.

Probably a little bit of that and a sign of the times, everything is going up, way up. 🥵

Royal says they aren't going to add on a fuel surcharge.  I'm not holding my breath on that one.  I can't blame them if they do, though.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Unrelated to the main topic, but I noticed that prices really went UP today for dining and drinks packages for my bookings.  WAY up.  The UDP on my Sept Voyager NE/CAN cruise went from $168PP to $259PP. Yikes.  Maybe they are getting close to selling out.  I noticed the prices were up all around though.

Not just the CP options but even the cruises I have booked. I did some price checking, and some are almost double what I paid. 

On 4/11/2022 at 3:34 PM, michaelp1446 said:

On my last cruise on Odyssey, I was concerned about this exact scenario. They added PDCC at the last minute.

I grabbed a cabana right away-then price dropped. I booked another cabana using my wife's name. 

Once booked at lower price I canceled mine. Worked out great.

Love this idea!

@jay1021  I have done it many times! When I see a price drop for the Coco Beach club…or a Beach Bed…I book it even though I already have one booked. Then I go back and cancel the first, higher priced booking. I’ve also done it for the three meal dining package, although that rarely changes from the basic price. One time I canceled the beach club first to grab a lower price and got blocked out. Lesson learned. 
*Do a test…book something twice, then cancel one.

17 minutes ago, BrianB said:

@jay1021  I have done it many times! When I see a price drop for the Coco Beach club…or a Beach Bed…I book it even though I already have one booked. Then I go back and cancel the first, higher priced booking. I’ve also done it for the three meal dining package, although that rarely changes from the basic price. One time I canceled the beach club first to grab a lower price and got blocked out. Lesson learned.

To be clear, how did you do it?  Did you book the 2nd under another name and then cancel the 1st?  Like others have said and my experience has been, you cannot book the same cruise planner item using the same account.

21 minutes ago, YOLO said:

To be clear, how did you do it?  Did you book the 2nd under another name and then cancel the 1st?  Like others have said and my experience has been, you cannot book the same cruise planner item using the same account.

No. I cruise solo so I don’t have another name to put it under. Every time I have done it, I was booked on the Anthem out of Port Liberty…I don’t know if that makes a difference, but I don’t see how it would. In fact…I’ll go log in now and try to double book something…be right back!

@YOLOI booked another Coco Beach Club…at a much higher price ($160) on my October Oasis cruise..but it would be stupid of me to cancel the $99 dollar one🤪…so I just cancelled the new one. The system took my second reservation and cancelled it without any problem, leaving my first, cheaper one intact. However, I’m thinking as this was done on the older Cruise Planner page, and not the newer one…I’m thinking maybe that’s the difference?