Woohoo! Semi-live blog on Oasis, April 17-24

mk-ultra

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I really enjoyed your [if somewhat disjointed….but highly entertaining] “live” blog.  I can’t say a thing about a live blog that turns into a not-so-live blog as it happens to me every time.  Great sense of humor.

Can you give us some morsels about the suite ?  Enough room ?  Miss the balcony ?

Sure.  Suite-wise zero complaints.  Caveat: I was solo.  For one guy it was perfect.  There is a battleship-grade door between the main bedroom and what would be 2nd accommodations in the entry area living room with the convertible couch. I think this is an awesome cabin for a couple and very serviceable if you have close friends or kids that can use their own space (they get their own toilet, but everyone needs to share the bath/shower).

Didn't miss the balcony a bit.  That surprised me.  It's a brief one-deck jaunt to deck 15 and being outdoors.  I love having a balcony, but nope... no regrets. The view absolutely trumps it.

Oh, how the heck did I fail to mention this?  I'd told Shane (Genie) I'm a big fan of Filipino food.  Via Genie magic, I had a couple of surprise full-on Filipino meals in CK & got to meet the chef that prepared the grub.  Included:

• Rice (duh)
  • Pancit bihon
  • Sinigang
  • Chicken adobo
  • Pork apritada
  • Lechon

Probably the best food I've ever had on a ship.  Heck, some of the best Filipino food I've had anywhere (my friend Luis' mom is going to slap me for saying that  - Filipina aunties can wield a chankla too).

On 4/19/2022 at 5:37 AM, mk-ultra said:

babaganoush (spell check just had a stroke)

On 4/24/2022 at 8:30 AM, mk-ultra said:

I don't think I've been kicked in the head that many times outside of work.

OMG!  Your humor is great!  I'm just catching up on blogs after being away for a bit, and enjoyed yours.  Thanks for posting!  

Maybe Shane can get you out of jury duty!

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2022 at 7:50 AM, mk-ultra said:

On the road!

Flight out from SFO yesterday started out great.  Quick stop into the Centurion lounge for the mandatory, "I'm officially on vacation" bloody mary.

Wheels up on time just before 0900 and we had a really spectacular tail wind which shaved 40 minutes off of the trip.

Landed in Miami and that's where the fun began.  No gates available.  OK, that happens.  Continue reading book.  30 minutes... 1 hour... 90 minutes... 2 hours.  I think the flight crew was at least if not more miffed than the pax.  Door opened to applause at the 2:15 delay mark.

Miami airport was having some kind of meltdown.  People sleeping on the floors; lady with a kid said they'd been waiting almost 3 hours for their luggage to get to the carousel.  Anyway, our flight's luggage came out in about 45 minutes and the ~15 minute taxi ride to the hotel was uneventful.

The hotel is nice.  It's a little away from the "dynamic" Miami stuff but still in a good location with an estuary and decent view of a slice of Biscayne Bay.   AMEX FH&R scored again.  Went from a floor 16 "city view" to a floor 30 water view.  I'd take some room photos, but meh?  It's a hotel.  Nice big tub, which I will poor-man's Jacuzzi.  It's a bit windy for the pool on 16.   You can see the ships in port from the balcony.  🙂

Plan for today is to just pedestriate myself around and check out the area.  1130 show time for Boaty McBoatface tomorrow.

IMG_3286.thumb.jpg.511ecca37fc873a24f60b1f322550ef7.jpg

IMG_B3B891EEF166-1.jpeg

Thanks for the post and helpful reminder that flying remains chaotic and you can be delayed just getting off the plane and waiting for bags!