Does cruising too much make you too critical?

4 hours ago, twangster said:

10 out 10 times I wear my pin when I visit guest services.   Guest services makes up a lot of BS as excuses or policy that isn't real.  When I don't wear the pin 50% of what you hear is made up BS.  When I wear the pin that drops to around 25%.  

Abso-frick'in-lutly!!!

100% agree

It seems to me that these are 1st world problems coming home to roost. If you have the money to cruise frequently and are complaining about RCL, why not try a more luxurious line? I never got the impression that cruising on RCL was for the elite. As a family that cooks and cleans up after our meals, cuts our own grass, keeps our own house and raised our children, cruising is a ton of fun. We also visit the national parks and sleep in tents, so again cruising is the lap of luxury. Post pandemic peoples manners have really regressed, too much time in a vacuum or echo chamber hasn't been healthy. Appreciate everyday as the gift it is, you never know when the ride is over. This site is overwhelmingly filled with great positive and generous people. THANK YOU ALL!

Complainers like to complain. I dislike entitled people and people who aren't empathetic to other's situations. I get about 5 weeks' vacation that gets split into two periods, so I normally cruise 2x a year as I have limited vacation and don't live near a port. I normally do a cruise and some land base traveling each time. Because of covid and the double point promotion, I cruised more than normal this last year.

I can honestly say I have had some not too great service and food but not so much that I complained or ruined more experience. I took those negative experiences and shrugged them off. I understand nothing will be perfect and going from ship to ship and class to class, I will have to alter my expectations. If you cruise 3 weeks in a row on different ships, you can't expect the Jamie's on Mariner to taste exactly like the Jamie's on Harmony. Nor should I expect every crew member to cater to me, it is nice, but there are potentially 2600+ of "me" to contend with. A lot of us got the "privilege" of cruising with such low capacity that if we don't look at the big picture, we would have insane expectations. 

I will also say that every pinnacle I met has been pretty nice. I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing that pin, it cost over $150k. IMHO those D+ are often the most entitled. When they complain, they always mention it. 

I don’t wear the Pin-pin…but to each his/her own. I don’t fault anyone for choosing to wear it or not. We’re all different. I’ve seen fellow passengers who were nice, and others who were nasty. Didn’t matter whether they were ‘pinned’ or not. I just avoid the negative, mind my own business, and don’t let anyone else’s bad attitude affect me. Couldn’t care less. I never feel an urge to get into an argument. Online, I’ll just scroll away…in person, I’ll just stroll away.
After decades of being in a high profile job, I have finally learned how wonderfully refreshing floating around in anonymity can be.😁

On 4/11/2022 at 4:41 AM, fishernrex said:

Can you go on too many cruises?

I travelled internationally weekly for a number of years (admittedly, not 23!) and I still get just as giddy getting onto a plane as I did every time then. Interestingly, since I no longer have any status with the airlines, when we fly it is likely to be in the cheap seats at the back, instead of the 1st class upgrades I came to enjoy before. I still enjoy the experience. I am glad, though, that cruise status doesn't reset!

Similarly, I did six years in the Navy, but I think I enjoy the cruises more because those years on board a ship got into my blood. I still get the knot in my stomach crossing the gangplank and have to fight the urge to salute the Ensign (flag). Some habits die hard. 

So, for me, at least, the answer is no I don't think I can go on too many cruises or too many flights, either.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, DunkelBierJay said:

Moving to Emerald from Platinum (would be diamond now if not for you know what) in two weeks, and my plan is to put the pins I get on my rattiest RC hat, wear it on the beach, get sea water on it and let them get nasty.

I've had MDR lunches with several Pinnacles on cruises and find the ones I've met to be really nice and great sources of knowledge, especially ones who you have to drag their status out of them.

We get pins for platinum, emerald, Diamond?  Had no idea and haven’t gotten one yet.  Hubby will love it!

20 minutes ago, Pooch said:

We get pins for platinum, emerald, Diamond?  Had no idea and haven’t gotten one yet.  Hubby will love it!

Yeah, those pins should be available if you don't have one but want one for some reason. 

You can find all of them for sale on eBay if you don't mind spending the money - 🙃 .

Here is a RCB discussing the emerald pin: 

10 minutes ago, Pooch said:

You know hubby, those darn things are going right on his hat!!

So I think putting them on a hat is an OK idea.  I really wonder about those people earlier in this blog who say they are constantly putting them on and taking them off.  Seems like too much work for lazy me. 🙂