Travel to Bermuda

While I fully support the Government of Bermuda to do this, I have no "right" to enter their country, I'll not be cruising there as long as they have an "APPLICATION" to enter and a $40.00 cost just to get the "APPLICATION".  That is my "right".  That is tantamount to a tourism tax that I'm not willing to pay.  I'm already paying a port tax and docking fee, not to mention the taxes I pay on purchases of goods and services.  This is, in my opinion, a tax that will never go away.  

Too bad, really, I enjoyed Bermuda when I cruised there in 2019.  A beautiful country and a very respectful people.  We, my wife and I opted to use the public transportation system (bus) to go to various parts of the island.  Everybody, the locals, couldn't have been more hospitable, we never felt threatened in anyway, not one bit.  We observed a teenager, late teens, without any prompting from anyone else on the full/standing room only bus, get out of his seat and give it to an elderly lady that just got on.  I don't think you'd see that too often in NYC, just for one example.

Your milage may vary!

https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation

We’re thinking about Bermuda for next year.  While I agree it’s a tourism tax, I don’t think it will prohibit us from going. We’re numb to being nickel and dimed, it’s par for the course.  Tolls on bridges and tunnels, hotel tax, paid WiFi on ships, paid parking, it goes on and on. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

15 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

While I fully support the Government of Bermuda to do this, I have no "right" to enter their country, I'll not be cruising there as long as they have an "APPLICATION" to enter and a $40.00 cost just to get the "APPLICATION".  That is my "right".  That is tantamount to a tourism tax that I'm not willing to pay.  I'm already paying a port tax and docking fee, not to mention the taxes I pay on purchases of goods and services.  This is, in my opinion, a tax that will never go away.  

Too bad, really, I enjoyed Bermuda when I cruised there in 2019.  A beautiful country and a very respectful people.  We, my wife and I opted to use the public transportation system (bus) to go to various parts of the island.  Everybody, the locals, couldn't have been more hospitable, we never felt threatened in anyway, not one bit.  We observed a teenager, late teens, without any prompting from anyone else on the full/standing room only bus, get out of his seat and give it to an elderly lady that just got on.  I don't think you'd see that too often in NYC, just for one example.

Your milage may vary!

https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation

I had to pay for a NZeTA to travel to New Zealand.  It was ~ $40 USD.  

Incredible trip, good use of $40.   

50 minutes ago, mark794 said:

if you don't get this visa, can you still board your cruise at the home port?

no. you will need the show approved bermuda travel authorisation paperwork during the checkin at the terminal. it is part of the required documents to board the ship

3 hours ago, greenline627 said:

Anyone traveled to Bermuda since you need to fill out an application to enter the Country? I went to the site now we are still 50 days or so till the cruise but it starts by clicking on you ship Adventure of the Seas is not listed.

We are going in August so I looked up all the requirements early and it looks like the list updates weekly to show cruises about 30 days or so out. So you're a little early. I would personally check every day to see if my ship has populated yet if I was just 50 days out, but then I'm "that person"...ha ha ha. I have set a reminder for myself to start checking daily around the 40 day mark. Enjoy your trip! This will be our 3rd time to Bermuda and I will NEVER get tired of visiting this beautiful island. 

~T

Heading to Bermuda on Adventure in May.  Below is the guidance I received from a Royal Healthy Sailing communication.  Prior to this I did assume that I only needed to apply for authorization if I was going to disembark but this confirmed all passengers need to apply.  My agent does a great job keeping me up to date on this stuff and I'm pretty actively involved in keeping up to date with this stuff.  However, I could see someone who is more 'set it and forget it' about their vacation missing this step.  These country-specific requirements aren't part of the online checkin (yet) so unless you have a great agent, or are otherwise actively involved it's possible you could miss the email about this requirement.

Reminder!
All guests 2 and older must apply for the Bermuda Travel Authorization to enter the country. Applications can be purchased for $40 as early as one month before travel here. This Travel Authorization is required regardless of whether you will be disembarking in Bermuda and must be presented on boarding day at check-in.

• 2 weeks later...

No changes yet. I am traveling to Bermuda at the end of May. I am 30days out and my form just became available to me today.  You can apply 30 days out and then just upload your covid results.  I have been reading they are quite behind on approvals and many are having to call or email, at the last minute, to get their approval.  The Gazette, paper in Bermuda, just had an article where there was a petition formed to end this TA, but I highly doubt anything is going to come about it anytime soon.  So, off to apply for our TA today.... 

• 2 months later...

I just learned of this requirement three days ago and my cruise is July 28.  Thank goodness, I checked online sites to see the latest cruise news. If not, I would have showed up at the port totally unprepared.  Thanks to everyone who takes time to share online, it is a great help.

Edited by Cruise411
Words missing