Alaska Cruise - Antigen testing in Vancouver

Scoular

Hi All,

We cruise out of Vancouver on 5th May on our first Alaska cruise and we’re arriving a few days early to explore and so need to find a reliable Covid testing facility locally. 

I’ve found two so far:

1. Fairmont Hotel - fast-test is the provider. They say results of an antigen are received in 15 minutes or less. They’re 131.25CAD each (there are 2 of us). You can book an appointment online. 
2. Go Rapid Test - They say results of an antigen are received in 2hours or less.   They’re 103.25CAD each or 109.20CAD each with a QR code. This is technically drive through but apparently you can walk through too. You can’t book an appointment time as it’s drive-through.

My questions are, has anyone had experience with either of these providers previously? Any other recommendations? Does anyone know if the QR code is a requirement? I haven’t seen this separate before. 

Thanks in advance!

As someone booked from Vancouver in early May a few days before you (on a different ship) I feel like we will be trailblazers figuring out the testing for Canada requirements.  

At the moment I can't imagine there are many cruise ships guests who are also Vancouver residents who may have dealt with any testing site downtown.   

"Shoppers" is a popular pharmacy in some Canadian provinces including British Columbia.  They have offered testing at better prices.  You can google them and go through the motions of booking a test appointment on their website, assuming they are still doing testing.

11 minutes ago, Peter D said:

What about bringing the EMed test kits with you and do they testing remotely using them?  I assume you can do the test over a facetime type smart phone connection.  Is that correct? 

We’re coming from the UK, the RCI ones don’t service the UK market. I thought about doing that with a UK provider but would hate for them not to accept it. 

4 hours ago, twangster said:

As someone booked from Vancouver in early May a few days before you (on a different ship) I feel like we will be trailblazers figuring out the testing for Canada requirements.  

At the moment I can't imagine there are many cruise ships guests who are also Vancouver residents who may have dealt with any testing site downtown.   

"Shoppers" is a popular pharmacy in some Canadian provinces including British Columbia.  They have offered testing at better prices.  You can google them and go through the motions of booking a test appointment on their website, assuming they are still doing testing.

I have googled them. They only service Ontario. Looks like BC have stricter rules than the US, not pharmacy’s etc. 

If you hear any other suppliers though, please do let me know! Enjoy your cruise 🙂

I believe you can still book antigen appointments at the Vancouver airport through CVM Medical.  The cost is $79 and results take approx 30 minutes.   If you are arriving 2 days prior to cruise and can confirm that the test can be taken 2 days prior in order to board the ship, this would be the most convenient and likely cheapest option.

We are coming in 2 days earlier and have a rental car booked so thinking just to go across the border to Walgreens or CVS in Blaine or Bellingham so we could get them for free through our insurance.  I've also hear that Costco in Canada is doing them for $18?   I haven't confirmed this and not sure if you have to have a membership already to get it there.  If so may be worth it to avoid the border crossing hassle although our hotel we booked is in Langley and not so far from the crossing.