Is testing protocol changing for Canada?

I've got a cruise scheduled for June out of Vancouver BC.  Currently, RCI says I require a test 2 days before.

However, I found this video today: 

Is the protocol changing?  It sounds like the Binax Now proctored test might be sufficient.  Any thoughts?

"As of April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests are no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada."  

Travel to Canada: Requirements for COVID-19 vaccinated travellers

The 72-hour PCR test or 1 day antigen test is for unvaccinated children 5 and older.  The 2 Day testing is the standard Royal Caribbean requirement for fully vaccinated passengers to board a ship.

I have been very excited for my May Vancouver to Alaska cruise but dealing with requirements to enter Canada are a drag.  If this goes smoothly, I'll be very surprised.

I think we are saying the same thing, but to be sure.  The 72 hour PCR/ 1 day antigen test is Canada entry requirements and not a Canada mandated pre-cruise test.  The 2 day PCR/antigen test is the pre-cruise testing that Royal has been requiring all along.   

It's all so confusing... I cannot wait for it all to go away...

27 minutes ago, Peter D said:

I think we are saying the same thing, but to be sure.  The 72 hour PCR/ 1 day antigen test is Canada entry requirements and not a Canada mandated pre-cruise test.  The 2 day PCR/antigen test is the pre-cruise testing that Royal has been requiring all along.   

Canada's cruise travel website shows the 1 day antigen requirement for boarding a cruise ship.  RC's Vancouver protocols FAQ page still says 2 days for antigen. So there's definitely a conflict

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Canada's cruise travel website shows the 1 day antigen requirement for boarding a cruise ship.  RC's Vancouver protocols FAQ page still says 2 days for antigen. So there's definitely a conflict

Good to know.  thanks for the clarification.

4 hours ago, Peter D said:

No testing is required to enter Canada by air or land

I’m also confused. We are sailing out of Vancouver in May after flying in from the US, and flights got changed so now we’ll arrive 2 days before sailing date. Not sure which test to take or when. I hope it gets clarified before then. Should I lean on my travel agent to have requirements confirmed? 

11 hours ago, CruiseMom82 said:

I’m also confused. We are sailing out of Vancouver in May after flying in from the US, and flights got changed so now we’ll arrive 2 days before sailing date. Not sure which test to take or when. I hope it gets clarified before then. Should I lean on my travel agent to have requirements confirmed? 

I am also sailing out of Vancouver in May.  I am flying into Seattle and driving into Vancouver.  So I am technically entering Canada by land.  I do not know if border agency will ask if I am doing a cruise, but if they do will they then say, where is your testing.  I doubt they will.  From their perspective, I am a landing entry and no testing is required.  Once I get to the port, I only expect to interact with Royal Caribbean personnel who will expect to see my vaccination card and negative test results.  The only question is whether it will need to be a 1 day or 2 day antigen....  I expect we will get better instruction directly from Royal Caribbean in the form of a 'healthy sailing protocols' email  (at least I hope so...)

On 4/9/2022 at 8:00 PM, smokeybandit said:

I think the rule of thumb is, when in doubt, assume the stricter protocol (in this case the 1 day requirement) takes precedence.

I’m glad they (Canada) dropped the entry testing. We end in Vancouver and I had real concerns trying to do an eMed aboard Radiance as the Wi-Fi can be ornery at times. 

We still have to take one 2 days before our 3 night land tour and test again before boarding. 

I know I was one of those that said I’d do anything to cruise last year but this makes my head hurt! 😂 Between this Alaska cruise and cruising out of Italy in October, my anxiety level is creeping up and I’m the most chill person! 🤪 Maybe we should buy drink packages after all! I’m gonna need a few stiff ones! 

edited to add: if it weren’t for double points and catapulting us to Diamond Plus, I think I’d be cancelling. 64 points is hard to let go of. 

11 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

The Canadian government has adjusted the testing requirement for cruises. They have changed the antigen test to 2 days before boarding to line up with the cruise lines requirements.

Excellent.  

For reference:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (e.g. RAT) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 2 days before initially boarding the cruise ship.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Surely, this is the most relevant page? I just found it, and it does now seem to be 2 days rather than 1, and it also says that the time of the test and the time of sailing do not matter for antigen tests (within 72 hours is required for PCR tests). So, if you are doing the proctored antigen test to sail on Sunday, as we are, we can test on Friday before we go to the airport to fly to the cruise port. Yay! I'm glad some things are being clarified. But will they be changed again in the next month?!!

10 minutes ago, CruiseMom82 said:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Surely, this is the most relevant page? I just found it, and it does now seem to be 2 days rather than 1, and it also says that the time of the test and the time of sailing do not matter for antigen tests (within 72 hours is required for PCR tests). So, if you are doing the proctored antigen test to sail on Sunday, as we are, we can test on Friday before we go to the airport to fly to the cruise port. Yay! I'm glad some things are being clarified. But will they be changed again in the next month?!!

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.
  • During a voyage
    • Passengers are required to self-monitor for symptoms and report them to cruise line officials, who will then take appropriate action (testing, isolation, and contact tracing).
  • Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • Effective April 1, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers on cruise ships will no longer need to take a COVID-19 molecular test before disembarking in Canada. All on board, including crew and passengers, must continue to monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after arrival in Canada as per the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order.

2 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

At the end of the day Canadian officials have nothing to do with passengers boarding the ships. If Royals policy states 2 days and your negative test is from 2 days prior they are going to let you board I would think

Don’t they? It was my understanding that Canadian border patrol would be at the cruise port in Vancouver…

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

From the article:  “The government maintains that random testing for air travellers is needed to detect new COVID-19 variants.”

I would buy that if the testing could determine which variant the tester has.

The Canadian Government uses those super sensitive swabs and processing cards that can tell what variant you have, if you have rabies, ring worm, an over bite, the gender of your unborn baby (doesn't matter if you are the male or female), hemorrhoids, and several dozen other abnormalities/illnesses.  And it can all be done in 3.5 minutes while you are in the shower at the hotel.  Not to worry, they've you covered.

I'm a naturalized U.S. Citizen from Montreal, Canada originally.  I know their capabilities and I read it on the internet.