Celebrity Beyond

DJ VINCE

Anyone sailing on the Beyond soon ? We have been on Carnival and Royal only, but this new Celebrity really calls our attention.

We are just a bit afraid that we might be let down by the activities and entertainment on board compared to the Oasis class ships as it is more targeting an older audience. (We are in our late 20's).

A comparison learns us that when you add up everything Celebrity is not that much more expensive as it includes gratuity, basic wifi, drink package and obc.

3 hours ago, DJ VINCE said:

Anyone sailing on the Beyond soon ? We have been on Carnival and Royal only, but this new Celebrity really calls our attention.

We are just a bit afraid that we might be let down by the activities and entertainment on board compared to the Oasis class ships as it is more targeting an older audience. (We are in our late 20's).

A comparison learns us that when you add up everything Celebrity is not that much more expensive as it includes gratuity, basic wifi, drink package and obc.

We're booked for March '23.   Sailed Edge - liked it, but as the first of its class, had some nuances that could be improved, but the dining model was very impressive as the food. Will be sailing Apex prior to Beyond,  and read some of the Edge errors were corrected on Apex.  And read Beyond incorporates lessons learned from both - definitely looking forward too.   I think Edge class really stepped up dining and entertainment experience from Solstice and Millennium class ships.  You'll enjoy the more inclusive nature of the Celebrity packages.

I am early 30s and I love Celebrity.  They don't target families per se, but they aren't targeting older guests only.  They do lots of activities, games, etc that keep people entertained.  So while there aren't slides and such, there will be a lot to do if you choose to.  Not sure if you like shows generally, but I always enjoy Celebrity's and they tend to have a different one every night. 

My wife and I are in our early 30s, and we loved our cruise on the Edge! We follow Captain Kate on TikTok, so we talked with her throughout the cruise, also with Rinku and Nathan, both in her tiktoks. The crew really makes the cruise special, they went above and beyond. We loved going to the shows, watching the "show" at the martini bar every night, I did some of the activity competitions around the ship, very fun! Also, loved the live entertainment around the ship.

received_1181891982321113.jpeg

received_210267397756054.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

DJ Vince ~

The answers to questions such as yours are really subjective.  We started cruising in 2007 when we were in our......'s - let's just say we were younger.  🙂  Sailed mainly on Carnival and RCCL but have sailed two cruises on the Equinox and one on the Reflection.  We were on Carnival this past May, will be on the first sailing of the Allure out of Galveston on Nov 13th, will be on the Beyond B2B  this coming Feb, and are booked on Carnival's Jubilee in Jan 2024 so it is obvious that we feel each line has it's own merits that entice us to sail with them.   Were I still in my 20's and enjoyed all the non-stop activities on an Oasis class ship, I might think twice about X.  They are very good at what they do but it is definitely a more subdued environment.  We have had difficulties with the "shore based" administrative X staff but have never had anything but a great experience on board.  I guess, bottom line, you might want to try a seven day cruise on X and make your own decision.  I will have to say that after 33 cruises, the "worst one" we have been on was still Wonderful!!    Good luck - but you really can't go wrong.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, YouthD said:

My wife and I are in our early 30s, and we loved our cruise on the Edge! We follow Captain Kate on TikTok, so we talked with her throughout the cruise, also with Rinku and Nathan, both in her tiktoks. The crew really makes the cruise special, they went above and beyond. We loved going to the shows, watching the "show" at the martini bar every night, I did some of the activity competitions around the ship, very fun! Also, loved the live entertainment around the ship.

received_1181891982321113.jpeg

received_210267397756054.jpeg

We just got off Beyond, Capt Kate was only a passenger but she still was welcoming to meeting everyone and even did Bugnaked Trivia.  Did you win?? That was the only way to hold her on our sailing.  😄 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone sailed Beyond lately in either Retreat or Aqua class?   We sail in about 90 days and the APP is showing the neither Luminae or Blu is open on sea days.  Not sure if this is because we're still  90 days out or a reduction  in available lunch venues on sea days.    Anyone know?   Not really an attractive change if so.

On 12/4/2022 at 1:11 PM, cruisellama said:

Has anyone sailed Beyond lately in either Retreat or Aqua class?   We sail in about 90 days and the APP is showing the neither Luminae or Blu is open on sea days.  Not sure if this is because we're still  90 days out or a reduction  in available lunch venues on sea days.    Anyone know?   Not really an attractive change if so.

We were in Aqua.  As I understand it, Luminae was open on sea days. 

• 1 month later...

Just disembarked from Beyond and had a great time. Celebrity is my line. This ship along with Edge and Apex are designed specifically to target the 27+ straight and gay couples with no kids, fresh walets-  who need locations to take Instagram pictures. Champaign glass shaped hot tubs, comedic modern art, clear plunge pools including many cruisers with thong style bikinis. The ship also includes needles tech.  I'am very happy with a light switch with and a toilet flusher.  These cabins have 3-4 mood light settings, electronically controlled window shades - this is clearly for the 27+ crowd.  Having said that they do have a kids club. There is traditional cruise food as well as art on the plate style and other trendy type vegan etc.  The entertainment on our 5 night voyage included a comedian, a Broadway review  (featuring modern musicals / numbers).  However they also had a "soultown" show- which is clearly directed at the 60 plus cruisers. I would note that all of the slots are also high tech including wireless cell-phone chargers on most. Also, I hope you are sitting down - NO BINGO - they prefer Deal or No Deal- which was interrupted on my cruise since Captain Kate turned the ship around to perform a rescue. Certainly a picture with Captain Kate says it all for your Instagram or Tik Tok...  The gym has the most high tech equipment, including Pelatons and all manner of classes and personal training.  The same can be said of the spa treatments. The ship has 3 separate DJS which sometimes battle during silent discoes or take turns on the pool deck parties playing different styles of music. 

As far as the drink package goes, with the pricing changes - either buy the premium or drink sea water.  The only thing included on the basic package is Coors light and diet coke (as an example).  Not a single martini, non-fat -double shot, no whip whatever latte is included, or any of those post modern cocktails that take longer to make than to drink are included. The best is on embarkation day, the first bar you have to pass is the Martini Bar and you realize that nothing on the menu is included in the basic package - conveniently located next to guest services for the on-board premium upgrade fee.

Having said that everyone cruises different.  Having been on both Edge and Beyond, Celebrity would love nothing more than to entice the 27+ crowd away from Virgin Voyages- and I would note that Virgin is struggling since they have not marketed to anyone over 40, yet many 27-40s still have mortgages and recent alimony payments for their first marriages and therefore cannot afford the rockstar suite.  That being said, Celebrity has not forgotten about their 60's crowd and I think they have done a pretty good job of keeping most happy.  

On 1/11/2023 at 5:51 PM, esmoov said:

Just disembarked from Beyond and had a great time. Celebrity is my line. This ship along with Edge and Apex are designed specifically to target the 27+ straight and gay couples with no kids, fresh walets-  who need locations to take Instagram pictures. Champaign glass shaped hot tubs, comedic modern art, clear plunge pools including many cruisers with thong style bikinis. The ship also includes needles tech.  I'am very happy with a light switch with and a toilet flusher.  These cabins have 3-4 mood light settings, electronically controlled window shades - this is clearly for the 27+ crowd.  Having said that they do have a kids club. There is traditional cruise food as well as art on the plate style and other trendy type vegan etc.  The entertainment on our 5 night voyage included a comedian, a Broadway review  (featuring modern musicals / numbers).  However they also had a "soultown" show- which is clearly directed at the 60 plus cruisers. I would note that all of the slots are also high tech including wireless cell-phone chargers on most. Also, I hope you are sitting down - NO BINGO - they prefer Deal or No Deal- which was interrupted on my cruise since Captain Kate turned the ship around to perform a rescue. Certainly a picture with Captain Kate says it all for your Instagram or Tik Tok...  The gym has the most high tech equipment, including Pelatons and all manner classes and person training.  The same can be said of the spa treatments. The ship has 3 separate DJS which sometimes battle during silent discoes or take turns on the pool deck parties playing different styles of music. 

As far as the drink package goes, with the pricing changes - either buy the premium or drink sea water.  The only thing included on the basic package is coors light and diet coke (as an example).  Not a single martini, non-fat -double shot, no whip whatever latte is included, or any of those post modern cocktails that take longer to make than to drink are included. The best is on embarkation day, the first bar you have to pass is the Martini Bar and you realize that nothing on the menu is included in the basic package - conveniently located next to guest services for the on-board premium upgrade fee.

Having said that everyone cruises different.  Having been on both Edge and Beyond, Celebrity would love nothing more than to entice the 27+ crowd away from Virgin Voyages- and I would note that Virgin is struggling since they have not marketed to anyone over 40, yet many 27-40s still have mortgages and recent alimony payments for their first marriages and therefore cannot afford the rockstar suite.  That being said, Celebrity has not forgotten about their 60's crowd and I think they have done a pretty good job of keeping most happy.  

Thanks for your honest review and I'm glad you had the same feelings as my wife and I on our Apex sailing in December.  We're a younger couple (27) and we certainly felt like the E class ships are catered more towards the millennial crowd with a spattering of venues and entertainment for the Gen Xers.  However, outside of the E class ships, Celebrity is not focused on the same target audience which puts them in a weird place among their existing customers who enjoy the more "classic" cruising atmosphere.

When you mention that this is partially targeted towards gay couples, where are you gathering that assessment from?  I noticed some self-led LGBTQ+ meet-ups listed on the daily planners, but besides that what about the ship/experience would say that Celebrity or the E class is catered towards gay couples?  Just curious.

Bingo, yes, bring it back!  But we did enjoy Deal or No Deal as there were opportunities for everyone to participate and make a little bit of money back in freeplay or even a cash prize.  We turned our $30 freeplay into $120 at one of the slots (paid $50 to purchase the cards).

Funny that you mention the classic drink package and the martini bar, because on our cruise on Apex they were able to make 3 of the martinis on the menu at no extra charge when we had the classic package.  I think a lower tier gin may have been used.  Did you ask them and they said no or did you just look at the menu and assume the drink price would not be covered?  Also, there are many drinks on the menu that you can ask to be made with classic level liquor for no extra charge.  Next time you go on a cruise with X, try this route.  One more thing about the drinks, if the price of a drink is higher than the max price for a classic or even premium package, you can just pay the difference plus gratuity on that drink.  Often times you'll save money paying on a per drink basis rather than upgrading for the entirety of the cruise to premium.

I'd agree that Celebrity is competing for the Virgin Voyages customers with their E class ships.  As you alluded to, I do feel X has a slightly better angle as Virgin is adults only while X has the kids club which allows families with children to cruise.  You mentioned just what I've thought before that who in Virgin Voyage's target market's has the disposable income to justify dropping that amount of money on a Rockstar suite?  I will say that Virgin's percentage of suite cabins (5%) is much lower than the percentage on the E class ships (~12%) which probably makes them easier to fill.  My wife and I would love to try Virgin at some point to see what they have to offer and leave the kids with grandma and grandpa, but I'm waiting for my Chase points to accumulate so I can transfer them to Virgin points to get a balcony at a great point value.  The last offer was something like 120k points for a cruise worth $2500, so 2c per point.

Thanks for your thoughts and I'd love to hear what you have to say in response to some of my questions here!