Masks required on White Pass Railroad?

Done

The White Pass and Yukon Railroad cites the Federal Railroad Administration for the mask rules.

OPERATIONAL UPDATES

White Pass & Yukon Route 2022 Operating Season

The White Pass & Yukon Route is welcoming guests for the 2022 season. Reservations are being taken for tours to the White Pass Summit.

Face coverings are required for all of our passengers and crew while aboard our trains and visiting our public spaces in the Skagway depot. Face coverings are mandated by the Federal Railroad Administration. We expect all passengers to abide by this mandate and follow the directions provided by White Pass & Yukon Route staff.

2 hours ago, Peter D said:

I expect that masks will be required, especially if it travels into Canada.

Trains to Canada are cancelled for the 2022 season.  That only impacts the less common trains to Canada and not the trains to the summit and back.

The more common trains to the summit and back are operating normally.

Cross Border Tours – Service Suspended for 2022 Operating Season

After months of working towards restoring the Carcross and Fraser Train Service Combination, we unfortunately must announce that we are unable to provide these offerings for the 2022 Season.  We have delayed this difficult decision for several months in the hopes that we could find a workable solution for all involved and provide passenger service on these international routes.  The challenges of logistics, restrictions, and uncertainty around wait times would have made it impossible for us to provide a consistent high quality service without delays and would create significant disruption to the passenger experience.

We respect and appreciate the time and efforts of our communities, staff, partners, customers, and governmental agencies at all levels in both Canada and the United States over the last year to try to bring this to fruition.  Though we could not complete the task in time for this season, we will continue to work together towards restoring this service for 2023.

For those booked on Fraser and Carcross train service this summer, our reservation staff will be reaching out to discuss your travel options and provide an alternative service on our White Pass Summit Excursion offering.

Does anyone know if there will be any excursions into the Yukon?   I know that I have seen a few that pick up where the train stops going to either the suspension bridge or further into the Yukon, Emerald lake and such before returning to Skagway but not sure if they are operating this summer.  Has anyone been able to book one?

On 4/9/2022 at 11:32 PM, Ken Edgar said:

Does anyone know if there will be any excursions into the Yukon?   I know that I have seen a few that pick up where the train stops going to either the suspension bridge or further into the Yukon, Emerald lake and such before returning to Skagway but not sure if they are operating this summer.  Has anyone been able to book one?

I had one scheduled for Carcross and the Yukon, but it was cancelled by the tour group about a week ago. It was the train with return bus back to Skagway.

6 hours ago, DDD said:

I had one scheduled for Carcross and the Yukon, but it was cancelled by the tour group about a week ago. It was the train with return bus back to Skagway.

I was able to book a 6 hour excursion into the Yukon but it is bus only.  It was the Yukon Discovery Tour through Southeasttours.com   I e-mailed them to make sure it was still on and this is the reply I got back:

Thank you for booking with Southeast Tours!  We are operating tours into Canada!  They are no longer requiring a negative COVID test to enter the country, so that is good news.  They are still requiring proof of vaccination, so make sure everyone in your party has their proof of vaccination as well as passports.

Sounds fun. After the cancellation, I opted for the car rental out of Skagway. I'm traveling with my two college-age grandsons, and I thought that long on a bus for them would be pretty boring.