WOW Bands

Hey everyone, 

Going on a RC cruise (Symphony) this June. This is our first cruise and we have been watching as many videos as we can. The one thing we are  interested in getting are the WOW bands. Now, I am hearing they are not offering them. Can anyone confirm this? Just thought they would be so convenient.  Thank you.

I don't know, for sure, but Royal's FAQ still has them explained and what ships they are on.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-royal-caribbean-wow-bands

What are Royal Caribbean WOW Band

In addition to Royal Caribbean’s traditional SeaPass cards, select Royal Caribbean ships* also feature WOW Bands. These ready‑to‑wear, water-resistant wristbands require just one tap, so you can quickly and efficiently navigate the ship.

WOW Bands come equipped with RFID chips that enable guests to:

• Unlock stateroom doors
  • Make purchases at bars, onboard shops, and lounges
  • Access lounges (Suite guests and Crown & Anchor members)

Guests who wish to use a WOW Band in place of their SeaPass card may purchase one onboard for $4.99**. Guests in Grand Suites and above (Golden Suites & Royal Premiere for Spectrum of the Seas and Quantum of the Seas) will continue to receive the WOW Bands in their staterooms at no charge. WOW Bands are not reusable and are unique to each sailing.

For departure and boarding the ship in ports, guests will need a SeaPass card.

* Wow Bands are only available on Symphony of the Seas®, Harmony of the Seas®, Ovation of the Seas®, Anthem of the Seas®, Quantum of the Seas®, and Spectrum of the Seas®.

** Port taxes will be applied. Purchase price is subject to change without notic

I'm just wondering what a wrist band has that is more contagious than my watch or the "Set Sail" card?  In fact, there is less handling of a wrist band than the "Set Sail" card, dontchathink!  

Also, If the WOW Bands are no longer available, permanently or temporally, why hasn't the "Land Side" operations updated their website in the past year and a half?

Don't know if you can tell, I'm not a big fan of Royal's "Land Side" operations.  Love the "Sea/Ocean Side" operations though.

From what I heard the vendor of the wow bands went out of business or stopped being able to supply new bands.

Star class is still offered them though so it's not like the technology isn't unavailable.

During the restart there was a lot of effort put into looking at a lot of aspects of cruising during a pandemic.  Wow bands were a casualty.

At some point they can roll back some of the changes that were required to get the superstrict CDC to allow any sailings to continue.  That roll back won't include every protocol all at the same time.  It will be a process.  Be patient.    

18 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

I'm just wondering what a wrist band has that is more contagious than my watch or the "Set Sail" card?  In fact, there is less handling of a wrist band than the "Set Sail" card, dontchathink!  

Also, If the WOW Bands are no longer available, permanently or temporally, why hasn't the "Land Side" operations updated their website in the past year and a half?

Don't know if you can tell, I'm not a big fan of Royal's "Land Side" operations.  Love the "Sea/Ocean Side" operations though.

Set Sail card? 

49 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Maybe that is the hold-up. Royal could be looking at a redesign of the band or alternative forms.

What they also need to be doing is outfitting the roaming bar waiters with RFID readers.  Having to take off the bands all the time to order a drink, made this tech a one and done for me.

35 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

What they also need to be doing is outfitting the roaming bar waiters with RFID readers.  Having to take off the bands all the time to order a drink, made this tech a one and done for me.

My feeling too. Some reason I want to say when Quantum first started sailing they tried using tablets. However, true to form, Royal IT wasn't the best at implementing tablet based service.

Sure things have changed since. Know on CocoCay they have the are using tablets at the bars. Plus on Wonder over at The Mason Jar Bar roaming waiters were using them.

21 hours ago, jay1021 said:

I don't know, for sure, but Royal's FAQ still has them explained and what ships they are on.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-royal-caribbean-wow-bands

What are Royal Caribbean WOW Band

In addition to Royal Caribbean’s traditional SeaPass cards, select Royal Caribbean ships* also feature WOW Bands. These ready‑to‑wear, water-resistant wristbands require just one tap, so you can quickly and efficiently navigate the ship.

WOW Bands come equipped with RFID chips that enable guests to:

• Unlock stateroom doors
  • Make purchases at bars, onboard shops, and lounges
  • Access lounges (Suite guests and Crown & Anchor members)

Guests who wish to use a WOW Band in place of their SeaPass card may purchase one onboard for $4.99**. Guests in Grand Suites and above (Golden Suites & Royal Premiere for Spectrum of the Seas and Quantum of the Seas) will continue to receive the WOW Bands in their staterooms at no charge. WOW Bands are not reusable and are unique to each sailing.

For departure and boarding the ship in ports, guests will need a SeaPass card.

* Wow Bands are only available on Symphony of the Seas®, Harmony of the Seas®, Ovation of the Seas®, Anthem of the Seas®, Quantum of the Seas®, and Spectrum of the Seas®.

** Port taxes will be applied. Purchase price is subject to change without notic

The bold statement above isn’t correct.  We went on the Harmony in February ‘22 and I used an old WOW band that I had from a previous cruise on Harmony.   They were not issuing WOW bands on the Feb cruise, but, if you had a WOW band from a previous cruise you could get it programmed to use on this current cruise.  I had countless people stop me, or come up to me and ask, where they could get a band.  Guest Services said they weren’t issuing new ones for that cruise, that they would only program WOW bands for cruisers who brought from previous cruises. 

21 minutes ago, TMatl said:

The bold statement above isn’t correct.  We went on the Harmony in February ‘22 and I used an old WOW band that I had from a previous cruise on Harmony.   They were not issuing WOW bands on the Feb cruise, but, if you had a WOW band from a previous cruise you could get it programmed to use on this current cruise.  I had countless people stop me, or come up to me and ask, where they could get a band.  Guest Services said they weren’t issuing new ones for that cruise, that they would only program WOW bands for cruisers who brought from previous cruises. 

Not only is it incorrect, it shouldn't be there at all if it isn't even sold/given anymore.  

So if they are no longer going to have these its very very disappointing 🙁   I'm not sure how it works with this so called Sea Pass  what is it?  So we will have the Sea Pass on our phones but I don't plan to carry my phone everywhere if I want to go to the pool and hang out get into the water get out and get a drink then return I don't want to have to carry my phone to make purchase etc, the idea of a wrist type band that can serve as it did was a gem!   Symphony of the Seas in 47 days  And got a check 1 against it already.  Maybe by the time sail date comes near things will change time will tell. 

Aloha 

5 hours ago, david perkins said:

I'm not sure how it works with this so called Sea Pass  what is it?  

Aloha 

Well, there are two separate items to talk about.  1.  There is a SetSail Pass, that is an item that appears on your device (I guess you can print and carry it to) when you complete the check-in.  It only gives you authorization to embark on the ship and to purchase limited items (drinks) until you get to your cabin and retieve your SeaPass Card.  2.  The SeaPass Card is a credit card looking plastic card that is used for information purposes and Royal Caribbean cruises is a cashless society in itself.  The SeaPass card is use when you purchase anything on the ship, it is used to leave the ship at Ports of Call and to reenter again.   WOW bands or wrist bands were only good for purchases, not getting off and on the ship, you still needed the SeaPass card for that.  

The WOW band and the SeaPass card is Okay to take into the pool.

• 2 weeks later...