Covid tests

I hope the people buying these tests realize they can not just administer the tests themselves and show the result to get on the ship.  The at home tests must be proctored by a physician or medical provider.  They have to watch you administer the test and verify the results.  You cant just do an Abbott or other at home test and show at the ship.  The results of an at home test will be recorded different on the app then if a professional does them and registers the results.  I hope this helps so people arent suck because they did the tests themselves and now cant get on the ship.  

1 hour ago, DebColletti said:

I hope the people buying these tests realize they can not just administer the tests themselves and show the result to get on the ship.  The at home tests must be proctored by a physician or medical provider.  They have to watch you administer the test and verify the results.  You cant just do an Abbott or other at home test and show at the ship.  The results of an at home test will be recorded different on the app then if a professional does them and registers the results.  I hope this helps so people arent suck because they did the tests themselves and now cant get on the ship.  

The eMed Abbott tests are proctored home tests.  They are accepted.

1 hour ago, DebColletti said:

I heard they were revisiting the testing protocols April 14, 2022.

Are you thinking of the mask rules that were to expire on April 14?  The CDC has extended them two weeks.  

We purchased 5 Binax test for our cruise Sunday.  There are 4 of us, we thought having an extra might be a good idea.  We were right.  My test went fine.  My wife opened the second for her test and it was missing the swab, good thing we had the spare, right?  WRONG, the next one is also missing the swab!  Now we have to scramble to find an appointment for one of or sons to take their text,.  Amazing that 2 of 5 were "defective", especially for what they charge!  Another hurdle to get over so we can board in 2 days.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:39 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Yes, as long as it looks like this and warns you to not open it until instructed to do so you have the correct tests.  (They don't have to say eMed on them as Optum also sells them). You likely got them from eMed if you have a 6-pack, though).

image.png.e64cc2655ff9948e73772cc8dadd8e30.png

I'd really prefer not to spend the money for a six-pack. Is there way to purchase less tests?

2 hours ago, DDD said:

I'd really prefer not to spend the money for a six-pack. Is there way to purchase less tests?

I'd get the government's telehealth test kits, they're free.  It only costs about 20 bucks to do the proctored telehealth test.

Some in here have said that ONLY the Abbott test kit is authorized by Royal Caribbean.  But, I have yet had anybody show where Royal has said so.  If it is true that Royal only accepts Abbott tests, we are owed the facts, I have 8 of the Free Government ihealth/telehealth test kits, I've got 27 days left until I leave for my cruise.  I've checked in Royal's own website and the Government's test kits meet Royal's requirements.  I have not found the words, "Only Abbott's Test Kits Are Acceptable for Pre-Cruise Telehealth COVID Tests" or words in anyway like that, in Royal's website.  

So, please, if you have verification that Royal will not accept any other test kit other than the Abbott test kit results, post it.  Right now, I'm fairly sure that there are several people sitting on the fence and may wind up spending money that they could be using on an excursion, T-Shirt(s), a few Margaritas, whatever.  This is unfair to create doubt where there may not be the need for it or going with the Government's test kits and be turned away at the Terminal.   Right now, I'm planning on using the Government's test kit. 

IF YOU KNOW THAT ROYAL WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE ABBOTT TEST KITS, SHOW OR LINK TO THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION THAT STATES SO!  THIS IS TOO IMPORTANT!  IF YOU CREATED THE DOUBT, YOU OWN IT TO EVERYONE TO ELEVIATE THE DOUBT.

3 hours ago, 1st Mate said:

I'd get the government's telehealth test kits, they're free.  It only costs about 20 bucks to do the proctored telehealth test.

Some in here have said that ONLY the Abbott test kit is authorized by Royal Caribbean.  But, I have yet had anybody show where Royal has said so.  If it is true that Royal only accepts Abbott tests, we are owed the facts, I have 8 of the Free Government ihealth/telehealth test kits, I've got 27 days left until I leave for my cruise.  I've checked in Royal's own website and the Government's test kits meet Royal's requirements.  I have not found the words, "Only Abbott's Test Kits Are Acceptable for Pre-Cruise Telehealth COVID Tests" or words in anyway like that, in Royal's website.  

So, please, if you have verification that Royal will not accept any other test kit other than the Abbott test kit results, post it.  Right now, I'm fairly sure that there are several people sitting on the fence and may wind up spending money that they could be using on an excursion, T-Shirt(s), a few Margaritas, whatever.  This is unfair to create doubt where there may not be the need for it or going with the Government's test kits and be turned away at the Terminal.   Right now, I'm planning on using the Government's test kit. 

IF YOU KNOW THAT ROYAL WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE ABBOTT TEST KITS, SHOW OR LINK TO THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION THAT STATES SO!  THIS IS TOO IMPORTANT!  IF YOU CREATED THE DOUBT, YOU OWN IT TO EVERYONE TO ELEVIATE THE DOUBT.

I've yet to get the iHealth tests from our government.  My first batch were the regular non-proctored Abbott tests and the second batch were the Roche tests.  Some people received another version from a different manufacturer that were made in China.  No doubt other people received something else.  Some people did get tests made by iHealth.

If you have the actual iHealth tests my understanding is that iHealth will proctor those for an additional fee.  What I've yet to see is the final document that iHealth provides.  If that document contains all the data Royal is looking for then I don't see why Royal would not accept it.  

According to the iHealth website they'll only proctor their test kits so if you know differently I'd love to see that in action.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I've yet to get the iHealth tests from our government.  My first batch were the regular non-proctored Abbott tests and the second batch were the Roche tests.  Some people received another version from a different manufacturer that were made in China.  No doubt other people received something else.  Some people did get tests made by iHealth.

If you have the actual iHealth tests my understanding is that iHealth will proctor those for an additional fee.  What I've yet to see is the final document that iHealth provides.  If that document contains all the data Royal is looking for then I don't see why Royal would not accept it.  

According to the iHealth website they'll only proctor their test kits so if you know differently I'd love to see that in action.

I think all or most test kits are made in China.  Yes, the government test kits I got are Ihealth/telehealth test kits and they are proctored.  And yes, it does cost about $20.00 to do the proctored portion of the test.  But, the tests are "free" (well, we all pay for them).  If nobody else provide a picture or some kind of documentation of the ihealth test results, I will on May 11.  

Look, I'm not trying to be the smartest kid on the block here.  God knows I'm not.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I will admit to it.  But, if I can save a few bucks and/or help others save a few buck by providing correct information, that's what I will/am doing.  Nothing more nothing less.  

9 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

I think all or most test kits are made in China.  Yes, the government test kits I got are Ihealth/telehealth test kits and they are proctored.  And yes, it does cost about $20.00 to do the proctored portion of the test.  But, the tests are "free" (well, we all pay for them).  If nobody else provide a picture or some kind of documentation of the ihealth test results, I will on May 11.  

Look, I'm not trying to be the smartest kid on the block here.  God knows I'm not.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I will admit to it.  But, if I can save a few bucks and/or help others save a few buck by providing correct information, that's what I will/am doing.  Nothing more nothing less.  

My Roche tests are made in South Korea and the Abbott Binax (non-proctored) are made in the USA.  

By all means try the IHealth proctored service and let us know how you make out.  I know some of the data that will be required will include the lab CLIA number, lab director or physician, name of lab, address of lab, the time and date the sample was taken, subject name, subject date of birth, results, type of test, method of sampling (i.e nasal swab), identifier number unique to this test, statement of FDA emergency use authorization, possibly more.

Where people have run into problems with a testing letter is when the testing site didn't include all of that information on the results letter.  Some people visited a family doctor who typed up a letter that stated negative but it didn't have subject date of birth, or the CLIA number or how the sample was taken (throat samples are not accepted) or that the test has FDA emergency use authorization as examples.  Those are the people that have been turned away and scramble to find another rapid test near the port despite being tested already.  

If you can find a sample iHealth test result letter that may help direct your decision making.  

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

My Roche tests are made in South Korea and the Abbott Binax (non-proctored) are made in the USA.  

By all means try the IHealth proctored service and let us know how you make out.  I know some of the data that will be required will include the lab CLIA number, lab director or physician, name of lab, address of lab, the time and date the sample was taken, subject name, subject date of birth, results, type of test, method of sampling (i.e nasal swab), identifier number unique to this test, statement of FDA emergency use authorization, possibly more.

Where people have run into problems with a testing letter is when the testing site didn't include all of that information on the results letter.  Some people visited a family doctor who typed up a letter that stated negative but it didn't have subject date of birth, or the CLIA number or how the sample was taken (throat samples are not accepted) or that the test has FDA emergency use authorization as examples.  Those are the people that have been turned away and scramble to find another rapid test near the port despite being tested already.  

If you can find a sample iHealth test result letter that may help direct your decision making.  

I'd like for someone to post a picture of the Ihealth test results.  That would be great!

55 minutes ago, twangster said:

Just for clarification:  The CLIA number or Certification # is not optional.  It is required by Royal's requirements.  See:

• You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

However, if you go to page 1 of this tread, you will see an example of an approved and negative eMed test result.  It doesn't have a CLIA # or Certification # on it.  But, it is acceptable to board on Royal.  

A post shortly after I posted what I quoted above, page 1, say that perhaps the larger well known labs don't have to provide it.  I agree!

7 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

Just for clarification:  The CLIA number or Certification # is not optional.  It is required by Royal's requirements.  See:

• You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

However, if you go to page 1 of this tread, you will see an example of an approved and negative eMed test result.  It doesn't have a CLIA # or Certification # on it.  But, it is acceptable to board on Royal.  

A post shortly after I posted what I quoted above, page 1, say that perhaps the larger well known labs don't have to provide it.  I agree!

The example on page one is truncated.  The CLIA information is on the bottom half of the eMed letter that wasn't included by the poster.  I have several eMed result letters.

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

The example on page one is truncated.  The CLIA information is on the bottom half of the eMed letter that wasn't included by the poster.  I have several eMed result letters.

Well, you are the first and only one to say that, even after I brought it up several days ago.  Do you have a copy of the whole document that you can post here, redacted, of course.  

6 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

Well, you are the first and only one to say that, even after I brought it up several days ago.  Do you have a copy of the whole document that you can post here, redacted, of course.  

I choose not to post because I know there are people out there who will attempt to hobble their own letter to bypass the intent of the process.  I'm not accusing you of that, but someone out there is looking for enough data to do just that.   

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

I choose not to post because I know there are people out there who will attempt to hobble their own letter to bypass the intent of the process.  I'm not accusing you of that, but someone out there is looking for enough data to do just that.   

Oh, Okay.  Riiiiiiiiight!

Okay, I'll call uncle on this.  I'm losing my patience with this subject and I value this forum too much to get kicked off.  

So, if you are in the group that insists that only Abbott is acceptable for Royal, go for it, spend the extra $50.00 p.p. or so.  You may be right, I don't know and I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong, if I am.  Obviously, I hope that I'm right because a lot of people could save a ton of money (perspective).

I'll be following up after I do the iHealth test.  See you in other thread!

1 hour ago, 1st Mate said:

Okay, I'll call uncle on this.  I'm losing my patience with this subject and I value this forum too much to get kicked off.  

So, if you are in the group that insists that only Abbott is acceptable for Royal, go for it, spend the extra $50.00 p.p. or so.  You may be right, I don't know and I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong, if I am.  Obviously, I hope that I'm right because a lot of people could save a ton of money (perspective).

I'll be following up after I do the iHealth test.  See you in other thread!

I'm not sure who you are directing that towards but I encourage you to try iHealth and let us know if it works.  

The iHealth website says the proctor service is $24.99.  I buy the eMed tests in 6 packs shipped overnight for $186.  That's $31 each.  For $6 more I'll go the path of least resistance that I know works but I have enough cruises booked to warrant a 6 pack.

At the Optum store the two pack approved or "known to work" proctored Abbott tests are $69.99 with shipping for two or $35 each.  Granted a $10 savings is nothing to sneeze at, but it's not a matter of an extra $50 pp.  The Optum 3 pack is $99.99 or $33 each so $8 pp more than iHealth.

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not sure who you are directing that towards but I encourage you to try iHealth and let us know if it works.  

The iHealth website says the proctor service is $24.99.  I buy the eMed tests in 6 packs shipped overnight for $186.  That's $31 each.  For $6 more I'll go the path of least resistance that I know works but I have enough cruises booked to warrant a 6 pack.

At the Optum store the two pack approved or "known to work" proctored Abbott tests are $69.99 with shipping for two or $35 each.  Granted a $10 savings is nothing to sneeze at, but it's not a matter of an extra $50 pp.  The Optum 3 pack is $99.99 or $33 each so $8 pp more than iHealth.

Okay, you suckered me into one more answer.  $50.00 is correct, for a single cruiser, +/- a few bucks.  I believe the minimum you can buy through Royal's website is the 2 pack.  

I was directing my comment to anybody that wouldn't/hasn't provide anything more than links that don't say what they say it says, antidotal stuff, and outright misinformation.  With all the arguments in here against the iHealth tests, NO ONE has provided a single document or link to an official document that says, "Royal only accepts the Abbott test" or word to that effect.  NOT ONE!  I'm still waiting but I'm tired of all the obfuscation.  

hello  booked my test with Ihealth. 

will be using this proctored test on May 3rd at 5AM my cruise is May 5th. I did not want to spend  the money on Abbott when I have 4 free ones. Now if Royal wants to bar my boarding for this so be it.....

I will post my success here

4 hours ago, skings8 said:

hello  booked my test with Ihealth. will be using this proctored test on May 3rd at 5AM my cruise is May 5th. I did not want to spend  the money on Abbott when I have 4 free ones.

But not totally free. You paid for the proctored appointment, yes? 

I am all for saving a few dollars, but someone will read this, not do their research and feel some type of way when things don't go as plan. 

I have taken enough of the Binax test to know the CLIA# is on it and everything that should be on there, is.

The iHealth test are fairly new and aren't proven or reliable because the proctors aren't 24hrs and you are actually supposed to use 2 test to confirm whether or not, you are positive. RCG tries to use the path of least resistance. Hence allowing us to use a home proctor test by Abbott.

I understand trying to help people save money but pushing the iHealth test, shouldn't be a thing. If at all possible, someone should try but have a backup in case the information needed is not correct.

9 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I am all for saving a few dollars, but someone will read this, not do their research and feel some type of way when things don't go as plan. 

I have taken enough of the Binax test to know the CLIA# is on it and everything that should be on there, is.

The iHealth test are fairly new and aren't proven or reliable because the proctors aren't 24hrs and you are actually supposed to use 2 test to confirm whether or not, you are positive. RCG tries to use the path of least resistance. Hence allowing us to use a home proctor test by Abbott.

I understand trying to help people save money but pushing the iHealth test, shouldn't be a thing. If at all possible, someone should try but have a backup in case the information needed is not correct.

I'm only answering this post because I have been accused of something not true.  I am not PUSHING anything on anyone.  I'm merely asking for someone to show where Royal only accepts Abbott.  I have never told anyone to buy the iHealth test kits and use one.  I'm still waiting for someone to provide the official documentation.  To date, NO ONE HAS!  Just obfuscation and anectodical statements.  I've also said very plainly and often that I could be wrong and I will say so if the iHealth or others aren't accepted by Royal.  

I think all the people posting in hear are adults and able to make decisions for themselves, they don't need me to "Push" anything.  I've researched and researched everything I can think of/can find.  Nope, nothing says anything about using Abbott only.

BTW, from what I read, all, if not most, medical authorities recommend taking 2 tests to be sure.  Note that the recommendations doesn't say for iHealth or any other brand:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/self-testing.html

When To Take an At-Home COVID-19 Test

Test Yourself If…

Timing

You have any COVID-19 symptoms

Immediately

You were exposed to someone with COVID-19

At least 5 days after your exposure

If you test negative for COVID-19, consider testing again 1 to 2 days after your first test

HOWS THIS FOR YA:  Folks, if in doubt, use Abbott, we know for sure that they are accepted by Royal.  There, how's that.

12 minutes ago, 1st Mate said:

I'm only answering this post because I have been accusing of something not true.  I am not PUSHING anything on anyone.  I'm merely asking for someone to show where Royal only accepts Abbott.  I have never told anyone to buy the iHealth test kits and use one.  I'm still waiting for someone to provide the official documentation.  To date, NO ONE HAS!  Just obfuscation and anectodical statements.  I've also said very plainly and often that I could be wrong and I will say so if the iHealth or others aren't accepted by Royal.  

I think all the people posting in hear are adults and able to make decisions for themselves, they don't need me to "Push" anything.  I've researched and researched everything I can think of/can find.  Nope, nothing says anything about using Abbott only.

BTW, from what I read, all, if not most, medical authorities recommend taking 2 tests to be sure.  Note that the recommendations doesn't say for iHealth or any other brand:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/self-testing.html

When To Take an At-Home COVID-19 Test

Test Yourself If…

Timing

You have any COVID-19 symptoms

Immediately

You were exposed to someone with COVID-19

At least 5 days after your exposure

If you test negative for COVID-19, consider testing again 1 to 2 days after your first test

HOWS THIS FOR YA:  Folks, if in doubt, use Abbott, we know for sure that they are accepted by Royal.  There, how's that.

Oh, and I would still say, I'd get the iHealth test kit......  I don't believe that's "Pushing it on someone!!!!!!  And I'll continue to say so until there is evidence that it's not accepted by Royal.  

On 4/16/2022 at 9:46 AM, twangster said:

13 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

My EMED results have a CLIA seal on the bottom left of the page, but no CLIA number. 
I have several CVS tests results, none of which have a CLIA number 

2 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

My EMED results have a CLIA seal on the bottom left of the page, but no CLIA number. 
I have several CVS tests results, none of which have a CLIA number 

I have never used CVS but the pop-up testing sites have had the CLIA number. Maybe the big labs use the seal. I can see how brands like CVS, Abbott and Walgreens are established enough they don't need to have the actual number. 

Just because a port worker accepts someone's results doesn't mean that the results actually follow what Royal deems as acceptable as it is spelled out in their testing requirements page.

If you end up getting a nitpicky port employee who is going to search your NoName Testing Lab results for all the info that Royal states needs to be on there, then you better have results that have everything on there. 

The big name pharmacies and eMed are known so the port employee is less likely to scrutinize those documents and instead knows where to search for the info they want to see (passenger's name, date of birth, test type, test date and test results). 

This is why we highly suggest folks using the tests mentioned on Royal's site. It doesn't mean alternatives aren't accepted, but it's best to guide people to what is documented on Royal's site as a sure thing.

I'm tempted to try the iHealth proctoring service just to see what info the results include since those are the ones I got for free, but we still have a free testing site around the corner that I use. And even though it has worked in the past for me and has all the info required, I still don't trust some poor port worker having a bad day and refusing it so I always bring one of my tests I ordered from eMed so I can go test on the spot if needed.