Windy Day at CocoCay?

Checking the weather for my cruise next week on Anthem, and it looks like there's gonna be some relatively strong wind the day we're at CocoCay, in the 15-20mph range. I know this was a bigger problem before they built the dock, but is there a chance that kind of wind will put the port stop in jeopardy? I'm hoping it won't, because that's the thing I'm most looking forward to!

11 minutes ago, silenttuba said:

Checking the weather for my cruise next week on Anthem, and it looks like there's gonna be some relatively strong wind the day we're at CocoCay, in the 15-20mph range. I know this was a bigger problem before they built the dock, but is there a chance that kind of wind will put the port stop in jeopardy? I'm hoping it won't, because that's the thing I'm most looking forward to!

Not sure what the parameters are for docking.  However, weather forecasts are notoriously wrong and you can check 5 different weather sources and you will get 5 different weather forecasts.  Your cruise is about a week away, anything can change in that amount of time.   Hope things work out for you!  

We had well over 20 MPH winds in March and swells were so bad, they delayed offloading for over a hr. They had to call to see if it was worth staying docked. But they got the OK and we got off a hr. late, but stayed a extra hr. On dock side, no one stayed as winds were coming from that direction and were brutal. We were at breezy bay, and wasn't to bad. The wind did calm a bit, so it turned out a nice day, but the sun was out. If cloudy, might not turn out nice.

1 hour ago, silenttuba said:

Given the freeboard (distance from waterline to deck) of Anthem is over 18 decks tall, and she is over 1100ft long it acts very much like a gigantic sail.

That being said, much depends on wind direction and berth.  The wind could for example assist in berthing. However, I doubt anything under 25knots would be an issue either way.

The ultimate decision of course, rests with one man. The Captain. He is responsible for the ship in its entirity so it is his call yay or nay.

We were on Odyssey over March Break which is similar in size to Anthem. We also had a very windy day, but we were still able to dock without incident. We spent the day at Chill beach which is really close to the ship as we found this a bit sheltered and not so windy, so it was a fun and enjoyable day!

If you follow RC's chief meteorologist, Jim Van Fleet, on Instagram, you will get real time updates on docking conditions for your day if there is any weather that could affect your cruise.  He will let you know if there is a question about docking, and what they are deciding  It's fascinating all that goes into keeping these ships safe. 

8 hours ago, Templecruiser said:

We had well over 20 MPH winds in March and swells were so bad, they delayed offloading for over a hr. They had to call to see if it was worth staying docked. But they got the OK and we got off a hr. late, but stayed a extra hr. On dock side, no one stayed as winds were coming from that direction and were brutal. We were at breezy bay, and wasn't to bad. The wind did calm a bit, so it turned out a nice day, but the sun was out. If cloudy, might not turn out nice.

Yes, I was on that cruise too and was watching us dock, it took the Captain 3 attempts to dock.

On Oasis a few weeks ago, we docked at coco cay with no issues during super  heavy winds. However, the captain said we pulled in on the side they don’t usually dock on and at a certain angle… a smaller ship was docking there that day as well… not sure which one…. And the Oasis captain positioned the ship to protect the other ship from the wind, otherwise that ship would have had to skip the port stop for safety reasons. Thought that was really cool… and everything was open on coco cat except for the hot air balloon ride. 😎

17 hours ago, fa-li said:

If you follow RC's chief meteorologist, Jim Van Fleet, on Instagram, you will get real time updates on docking conditions for your day if there is any weather that could affect your cruise.  He will let you know if there is a question about docking, and what they are deciding  It's fascinating all that goes into keeping these ships safe. 

I have added this tidbit to my “things about RC that are good to look at” Thank you!

I was on Anthem these past 6 months, I believe it was my November sailing when the captain announced docking might not occur due to high winds, understandable do as to not damage the ship or pier.

well he was able to “park that baby” but independence  could not safely do so and missed out on CoCocay.  So the answer truly is, you never know.

On the Anthem a few months ago…winds and swells were pretty strong as we approached the island. Another, smaller ship was unable to dock and pulled away. Captain Toni announced he will make the attempt to dock, but we may have to settle for a sea day instead. It took a little while, but we did dock. Walking on the pier was very windy! But after we got on the island, we went to the side away from the wind and had a ‘Perfect Day!’.

8 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I was on Anthem these past 6 months, I believe it was my November sailing when the captain announced docking might not occur due to high winds, understandable do as to not damage the ship or pier.

well he was able to “park that baby” but independence  could not safely do so and missed out on CoCocay.  So the answer truly is, you never know.

Ha! You beat me to it! 😂

Captain Toni did a great job getting us docked!