Cococay Thrill park passes

Ok, so we just booked Athem of the Seas for April 17 sailing.  It's April vacation week so Thrill Park passes are already sold out. 😞 I'm told to check in with the excursion desk when we get on board.  Do they always open up some slots or will spots only become available if there are cancellations?  Am doing a mother/daughter trip with my 13 year old and she is really looking forward to the water slides.... 🤞

2 hours ago, bostonmama said:

Ok, so we just booked Athem of the Seas for April 17 sailing.  It's April vacation week so Thrill Park passes are already sold out. 😞 I'm told to check in with the excursion desk when we get on board.  Do they always open up some slots or will spots only become available if there are cancellations?  Am doing a mother/daughter trip with my 13 year old and she is really looking forward to the water slides.... 🤞

This raises a question in my mind:

So, is there a way to see if a package like the waterpark is sold out before you purchase a cruise or put a deposit down on a cruise, a package that you are purchasing for the almost sole reason of taking your kid(s)/grandkid(s) to?  Seems only fair to me, especially if you purchase a Non-Refundable Ticket.  

I honestly don't know the answer to this question.  I'm assuming you can't see the "cruise planner" until after you put a deposit down or purchase.  

I'd keep checking the cruise planner website at least daily till it closes out for your cruise as well in case more open up. 

From looking at the Cruise Time Tables website, it looks like you'll be sharing the island that day with Independence of the Seas. Hopefully you have some luck since you're not sharing the island with another larger ship like another Quantum Class or Oasis Class ship. 

It is possible they will be entirely sold out though, and its a bummer that Anthem doesn't have any on board water slides either. 

If they are indeed sold out, the lines will be long.  My kids have complained about the long lines in the water park even when it wasn't sold out.  

If you do manage to get passes for it, my advice is go as soon as it opens, as it will only get busier.  And go on the bigger slides first.  Save the wave pool for the middle of the afternoon when the lines for the slides are longest.  

No I don't think there is a way to see Cruise Planner availability until after you have booked.  However, you could find a roll call group (on this site or elsewhere) or a Facebook group for the specific cruise.  Then, ask the people who have already booked the cruise what they see.

For @bostonmama's situation, I think this was a risk of booking a cruise that is only weeks away.  The first people probably booked it almost 2 years ago at this point.  Cruise planner purchases are shut off about 3 days before the cruise in order to transfer everything to the ship's records.  Some people may rearrange their plans right before that so I would keep checking multiple times a day to see if availability has changed.  Once on board, you can only cancel for a refund up to 24 or 48 hours before an excursion (I forget which) so some people may wait until then to change their minds.  It's not hopeless, but I have no idea what your chances are of getting tickets.  As others said though, if it's sold out the lines will be long so go ashore right away!

7 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

No I don't think there is a way to see Cruise Planner availability until after you have booked.  However, you could find a roll call group (on this site or elsewhere) or a Facebook group for the specific cruise.  Then, ask the people who have already booked the cruise what they see.

Not meant as an argument towards you, just my opinion of how I feel about this issue!

This is all fine and good if you are a savvy consumer of cruise tickets and/or a user of Social Media.  I believe cruise lines, like Royal Caribbean have a fiduciary responsibility of (at the appropriate time, like when you are purchasing a non-refundable ticket that includes a day at Coco Cay) informing it's customers that the main draw, for some/many is "Sold Out" with maybe a pop-up window that states that something is "Sold Out", prior to hitting/tapping the purchase button. 

I fully support profit and capitalism.  However, it should be done fairly and in the light.  When I used to be a big Disney fan, when I went to WDW and several of the major rides/attractions were closed (I'm talking pre-pandemic times (construction, maintenance, refurbishing, etc), all at once, for various reasons, I was very disappointed and so were my kids.  I didn't feel like I received a good value for my money and I was hoodwinked into a purchase.  Yes yes yes, you may be able to find a "disclaimer" somewhere in the smallest of print amongst paragraphs and paragraphs of legal lexicon that this can happen.  But, that's still not being totally upfront with things.  

@jay1021  Oh I agree it would better if you could see prices and availability of excursions/packages/etc before booking a cruise.  But given the current setup, social media and some research is the best advice I can offer.

Disney World certainly has its own issues.  Frequent visitors can list some general rules on ride closures (water rides like splash mountain get their annual maintenance during the colder months, only one water park is open at a time during winter while the other gets maintenance, etc).  I think in general Disney is good about posting those things well in advance if you know to look for them.

New or once-a-decade cruisers and Disney guests are going to be at a severe disadvantage if they don't do a lot of research.

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:

Says an experienced/savvy cruiser!  😉

Says common sense.   If I go to Disney at Xmas, it’s gonna be busy.  If I go to a beach in the summer, it’s gonna be busy.  If you go to a water park during spring break ….,

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

Says common sense.   If I go to Disney at Xmas, it’s gonna be busy.  If I go to a beach in the summer, it’s gonna be busy.  If you go to a water park during spring break ….,

🙄  Oh, I didn't know that we were talking about just two times of the year.  

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

5 hours ago, Pooch said:

you can’t purchase a cruise 2 weeks prior to sailing and expect to get popular excursions.  It’s spring break, the ship will be loaded with kids.  Of course the water park is sold out.  

Yes, I understand, thus my original post asking if spots become available.  Probably doesnt matter to you but for others potentially in this situation, when I just logged onto the Cruise planner it showed "2 spots available" but I couldn't select them (someone else must have had them in their cart) so clearly spots become available.  A couple minutes later it shows "sold out."  I'll keep checking.  I'm happy with our low fare for balcony stateroom and I know we'll enjoy our time whether we get into the water park or not. 

On 4/7/2022 at 9:27 PM, bostonmama said:

Am doing a mother/daughter trip with my 13 year old and she is really looking forward to the water slides.... 🤞

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, too! I’m doing a mother-son trip the same week, but the thrill park is not sold out yet on the 19th. I was checking the cruise planner pretty frequently for a while, and I noticed that the beach club would vary from being sold out sometimes to having a few passes available, as people canceled, I assume. So I think there’s hope if you check back often. 🍀🍀

20 minutes ago, TinyDancer said:

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, too! I’m doing a mother-son trip the same week, but the thrill park is not sold out yet on the 19th. I was checking the cruise planner pretty frequently for a while, and I noticed that the beach club would vary from being sold out sometimes to having a few passes available, as people canceled, I assume. So I think there’s hope if you check back often. 🍀🍀

Thanks!!!  Enjoy your trip with your son!!! 🥰

13 hours ago, bostonmama said:

Yes, I understand, thus my original post asking if spots become available.  Probably doesnt matter to you but for others potentially in this situation, when I just logged onto the Cruise planner it showed "2 spots available" but I couldn't select them (someone else must have had them in their cart) so clearly spots become available.  A couple minutes later it shows "sold out."  I'll keep checking.  I'm happy with our low fare for balcony stateroom and I know we'll enjoy our time whether we get into the water park or not. 

Yep, if/when changes are made, that's about all you can do.  

I hope you get what you want!