VOOM 4 devices question

Eric G

41 minutes ago, Eric G said:

I am sailing in June with me and my wife in one cabin and my son and girlfriend in another cabin.  Can I sign up for the VOOM 4 device package under my name and give each of us one of the devices?

You can but I would suggest you not do it like that because it will all be the same sign on for all 4 devises and if you all are all bringing more than one devise onboard (cell phone, tablet, computer, ect) and you each don't sign out of the devise your are using before signing into a different devise the system will randomly choose one devise and disconnect it automatically from the network even if that devise is currently being used and connected to VOOM.  

My suggestion is buy each package separately this way all 4 of you have your own individual sign in links and then you don't have to worry about being kicked off VOOM should someone forget to logout before login with a different devise.

27 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

You can but I would suggest you not do it like that because it will all be the same sign on for all 4 devises and if you all are all bringing more than one devise onboard (cell phone, tablet, computer, ect) and you each don't sign out of the devise your are using before signing into a different devise the system will randomly choose one devise and disconnect it automatically from the network even if that devise is currently being used and connected to VOOM.  

My suggestion is buy each package separately this way all 4 of you have your own individual sign in links and then you don't have to worry about being kicked off VOOM should someone forget to logout before login with a different devise.

The difference in price is over $200 for a 7 day cruise.  That is pretty significant

37 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

And you will be paying more for 4 individual plans. 
No problem with OP buying a 4 device plan; and everyone just signing off one device if they have the need to access another device. 

There are only 2 of us and NO WAY would I have 1, 2 device package to share.  We almost came to blows the one time I tried it and we kept kicking each other off when trying to change devices.  Now, everyone gets their own plan with their own log-in and peace has reigned ever since.  Well...mostly always....some of the time.

I have split a 4 devise package with strangers and never had trouble with anyone bumping anyone else off.

OP, just make sure your traveling companions under stand to only use one devise at a time and you will be fine.  If anyone will go bonkers if they lose access even momentarily, have them buy their own package.

7 hours ago, Eric G said:

I am sailing in June with me and my wife in one cabin and my son and girlfriend in another cabin.  Can I sign up for the VOOM 4 device package under my name and give each of us one of the devices?

I did the VOOM 4 device package under just me. We used it for my husband and I along with our 2 teenagers. It wasn't a big deal going between my phone and computer (sadly had to work), while the 3 of them stayed only using on their phones. You just re-sign in. I would disconnect from my phone, then connect to my computer. When done with computer, disconnect and reconnect to my phone. This avoids anyone getting kicked off. Takes less than 30 seconds to do. Honestly, you'd be surprised how little you'll have your phones out.Too busy having fun. For me, paying extra for separate accounts isn't worth it. 

“There are only 2 of us and NO WAY would I have 1, 2 device package to share.  We almost came to blows the one time I tried it and we kept kicking each other off when trying to change devices.  Now, everyone gets their own plan with their own log-in and peace has reigned ever since.  Well...mostly always....some of the time”

Totally agree with WAAAYTOO 👆🏼…..May cost more individually (even though I have gotten sales that are close to the multi device plan) but worth every extra penny I have spent for peace of mind. 

For those with Diamond status and above, one should not discredit the option to purchase Voom while onboard.  I find it's better to purchase internet onboard rather through cruise planner, because of the onboard credit. The other thing about purchasing onboard is that it's prorated as week progresses, and if you can go without internet on 1st night, you will likely save some money. 

For example, as Diamond plus, we get 2 free days of internet.  On our March cruise on Symphony, the pre-planner price was $20 per day and the ship price was $26 per day, pre-planner $140 vs onboard $130 ($182-$52 for two-day credit).  Adding to that, I always skip first night.  Cellular service works while in port and for a bit after departure.  I only end up being without service for a few hours on first night.  On morning of day 2, I sign up for service at 6-day prorated cost of $104 ($156-$52 for two-day credit).  Essentially saving $36 at the expense of some first night access.

It should also be noted that the C&A status credits are per person, so it's not advantageous for D+ to get multiple device plans.  For example, on upcoming Oasis cruise, pre-planner price is $24 per day with one device plan at $168 and two device plan at $287.  The listed on-ship price is $27 per day at $189 ($135 with discounts).  If I were to get the 2-device plan onboard, it would only subtract $54.  Instead, I would do a single plan for both myself and wife to get the $54 off both.  It definitely works out in our advantage.

Anyhow, thought I'd share my experiences with VOOM.          

Hi everyone! My husband and I are traveling on Oasis in August and we are Diamond.  We missed the major March sale for onboard purchases.  We want to purchase internet for 2 devices and my parents got the March deal of about 40% off internet but now it’s only 10% off and with Diamond I would think purchasing internet on board is same/better than buying now (I read on a blog post that Diamond is 12.5% off for onboard internet packages?) Do you know if RC runs a second sale perhaps pre summer (in June).  Any advice is much appreciated!! 

1 hour ago, CruiserA said:

Hi everyone! My husband and I are traveling on Oasis in August and we are Diamond.  We missed the major March sale for onboard purchases.  We want to purchase internet for 2 devices and my parents got the March deal of about 40% off internet but now it’s only 10% off and with Diamond I would think purchasing internet on board is same/better than buying now (I read on a blog post that Diamond is 12.5% off for onboard internet packages?) Do you know if RC runs a second sale perhaps pre summer (in June).  Any advice is much appreciated!! 

The sales are constantly running, and regardless of the percentage off listed, the bottom line price rarely changes much.  Personally, I would not wait and would pre purchase. A diamond member gets one free 24 hour period of internet; you could wait until onboard, use your free day, then book a package for the remainder of the cruise, but i have never found that to save money VS pre purchase.

3 hours ago, CruiserA said:

I am also booked for Oasis on August and today's 10%off cruise planner cost for 1 plan, 2 device is $287.  The diamond discount is onboard $ value of one day ($26.99).  Right now, I believe the 2-device plan on the cruise planner is slightly better than the Diamond discount you would receive onboard for the full cruise.  As I mentioned above, if you can go without wifi on embarkation date, you could sign up on morning of day two and save more.  The onboard purchase just takes (the daily rate of $26.99 X number of remaining voyage days)- $26.99.  Keep in mind, you are both entitled to the diamond discount, but if you do a 2-device plan, you will only get one discount.

As for pre-purchasing, you can order now and watch the prices.  If you see a better price, you can always cancel and rebook.     

6 hours ago, CruiserA said:

We want to purchase internet for 2 devices and my parents got the March deal of about 40% off internet but now it’s only 10% off

Ignore the percentages.  What's the $ cost?  If the March 40% off sale cost $60 that would imply the on board cost was $100.  Today the 10% off sale could also be $60 implying the on board cost is $66.67.  Tomorrow a 25% off sale could also be $60 implying the on board cost is $80.  They can change the "on board cost" as often as they want until you are actually on board.  The sale percentage is just marketing to get you to buy.  Even if the current price is higher than your parents paid, it's better to lock in something because you can always cancel and repurchase if you see a lower $ amount.

• 5 months later...