Chat feature question from today’s vlog

Hello I have a question regarding today’s YouTube video from Matt. I am glad to hear about the chat feature. My question is. My wife is getting the surf and stream package, but I don’t need internet, but I want to communicate with her so I will get the chat feature. Is the chat feature included in her surf and stream or will she have to get the chat feature separately?

Also, will she be able to FaceTime the grandkids with the surf and stream feature or does it take up too much data or is the data too slow?

Thank you in advance.

6 minutes ago, TheRick said:

will she have to get the chat feature separately?

Yes. Chat only works with others who purchase the chat feature. It isn't included with the Voom internet package.

6 minutes ago, TheRick said:

Also, will she be able to FaceTime the grandkids with the surf and stream feature or does it take up too much data or is the data too slow?

Yes, surf and stream will typically support FaceTime.

51 minutes ago, TheRick said:

I work while I am on my cruises.  In February I was on Symphony of the Seas and had the Surf and Stream.  I was able to FaceTime without a delay.  I also was able to stream videos, remote desktop and do Zoom Calls and Microsoft Team Meetings.  

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at the app today for our June cruise, and this came up.  As I read it, the implication certainly implies the feature is free…

That said, if it isn’t, I still think the chat should be bundled in with either of the internet packages.

20003B44-41F7-42A5-AEEC-DD5501CAEF46.jpeg

On 4/7/2022 at 10:27 AM, Traveling Mike said:

I work while I am on my cruises.  In February I was on Symphony of the Seas and had the Surf and Stream.  I was able to FaceTime without a delay.  I also was able to stream videos, remote desktop and do Zoom Calls and Microsoft Team Meetings.  

I was on Symphony in Nov 2019 and felt the same way about the internet. Nothing like a WiFi work call poolside with drink in hand.  Just don’t forget to hit Mute.

10 hours ago, Sms said:

I was looking at the app today for our June cruise, and this came up.  As I read it, the implication certainly implies the feature is free…

That said, if it isn’t, I still think the chat should be bundled in with either of the internet packages.

20003B44-41F7-42A5-AEEC-DD5501CAEF46.jpeg

As most know the chat feature used to be free, on our March cruise we had everyone download the app only to find out they now charge $1.99 per person per day for the Royal chat feature. What we did find was that iMessage on our iPhones seemed to work for free when connected to the ship’s free wifi - we were able to communicate with folks back home. It also worked on our Disney cruise … but I’m thinking they may catch on and disable this feature at any time - so maybe not reliable!

10 minutes ago, willowberry88 said:

What we did find was that iMessage on our iPhones seemed to work for free when connected to the ship’s free wifi - we were able to communicate with folks back home. It also worked on our Disney cruise … but I’m thinking they may catch on and disable this feature at any time - so maybe not reliable!

That would be fantastic if it worked - my group all have iPhones.  We will have to try that.  Thanks for the heads up.