Seattle Hotel and transportation recommendations

KevinJ

Sailing on Ovation June 17th, arriving in Seattle June 15th, and leaving the day after the cruise on June 25th. I can see that there is quite a distance between the airport and the cruise port. So where to say and how to do transportation? Stay near the airport and transport to the port or the reverse? I use Marriott since I get my rooms on points. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I stayed in downtown Seattle overnight and took an Uber to the port the next morning, which is a short drive from downtown. I would recommend staying downtown as it is a lot more interesting than the airport area and you will be closer to the port on embarkation day. I stayed sort of near Pike's Place Market which was fun as I was able to walk around and sightsee the morning of embarkation day before heading to the port.

I took the light rail from the airport to downtown on the way in and an Uber on the way back from the cruise ship to airport. Uber/Lyft is more convenient, of course, so I'd recommend that. 

Not a recommendation on my part.  Just a "what I'm doing", post.

We are booked at the Crowne Plaza, (IHG Points) Airport.  We have already made reservations with a shuttle company, Seattle Shuttle.  The cost of the shuttle from the hotel to the port is $75.00 one way for all 4 of us, that includes all taxes, fuel charge, luggage, everything but TIP for driver.  We booked round trip, $150.00 total.  Haven't paid yet, I believe we pay the day of use.  

This is a cut and paste of the email I got from them:

Hello Jay,

Four passengers from Crown Plaza SeaTac to Pier 91 would be $75.

Four passengers from Pier 91 to Crown Plaza SeaTac would be $75.

Would you need any further transfers?

These prices include passengers, luggage, fuel and taxes, but does not include driver's gratuity. 

Please let me know if you would like to make a reservation, and/or have any other questions. 

Thank you,  

At your service 

Brenda Beeson

Reservations

Seattle Shuttle

27131-52nd Ave S 

Kent, WA 98032

P: 206-423-8388

F: 866-532-1508

[email protected]

www.seattleshuttle.net

Visit us on Facebook

www.facebook.com/Seattle-Shuttle-214728525218351/

16 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

@jay1021 thanks sounds like what we want to do. Probably stay nearer the airport to make flights easier.

Yes, that's just one of our reasons for staying where we are.  The other reason, I just don't think Seattle is safe for tourists, especially the elderly.  I won't subject my wife to verbal harassment or physical assault by anyone.  As I have never been to Seattle and am relying on the Seattle Police website for crime stats and Google Earth, I believe the Airport Hotels are probably in a better, not necessarily the best, location.

I've done the light rail from the airport to downtown several times in my various visits to Seattle.  It is a cheap and convenient option for those able-bodied that can handle their own luggage.

I tend to be more price sensitive, so I'd go with either airport or downtown locations for the hotel stays on either end of the cruise because I know if I stay at the airport hotel I can take the light rail into Seattle and explore and get back to the hotel at a reasonable rate. If I stay downtown, it's walkable to the things I would want to see pre-cruise/post-cruise and I can get a cab/rideshare to/from the port or take the light rail to the airport when leaving.

2 hours ago, KevinJ said:

Thanks for all the thoughts. My wife has mobility issues so we do need to do point to point transfers. Not able to move around with our luggage. She's having knee replacement surgery 9 weeks before this cruise so she'll be even less mobile. 

I cruised about 8 or 9 weeks after having total knee replacement surgery.  We are all different and respond differently to different things, especially major surgeries.  I can tell you that the only issue, beside stairs, was people in elevators or narrow hallway bumping into my leg.  I used stairs on purpose as I'm kind of a Neanderthal and think, "No Pain, No Gain".  I only used a cane for about a week after surgery.  When I showed up to my first follow-up appointment without a walker or cane, he went bananas.  I told him to get a grip, and that was that.  5 years later, I'm like new, only very minor issues. 

Edited in:  I must say/be totally up front, I did take a cane with me just in case I got too tired or got into too much pain.  Never happened.

We're doing something close to what Jay said: private shuttle (through Capital Aeroporter) to downtown... $70 w/ tip included. Doing a few days there before the cruise. Our hotel does a shuttle to the port. After the cruise, we'll get a Lyft to our hotel at SeaTac and then take the hotel's shuttle to the airport the next morning.

When it was just us, we took the light rail line to and from downtown. Kids and kid accessories made that kind of unattractive this time around.

We're on Ovation May 27th. I booked the Mediterranean Inn (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/programs/book-a-hotel)and texted them regarding transfers. They have a private service from hotel to port for 10/pp. The same service transports from the airport to the hotel for a fee. I believe it's $65 for a party of 3. I'd text or call if you're interested.

This is a good Prof Cruise article about cruising from Seattle: https://profcruise.com/cruising-from-seattle-in-2022/.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @DDD.  We are also staying at the Mediterranean Inn on Jun 23rd (for the President's cruise) and will be looking to get to Pier 91.  Nice to know they have a private service.  I will look into it.  Did you need to book it in advance?

I texted the Mediterranean Inn after booking. For the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, I'm to text them my flight info. For the airport shuttle, they advised we could set it up when we check in.

15 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Public Transportation.

Also, you are on the cruise right after ours.  Look for ducks.  We will be hiding about 25.

We have ducks too.  Our May 12th cruise will be our first hiding Ducks and our June 24th will be our second !!!  Sorry, you will miss ours.  Will yours be tagged?

7 minutes ago, YOLO said:

We have ducks too.  Our May 12th cruise will be our first hiding Ducks and our June 24th will be our second !!!  Sorry, you will miss ours.  Will yours be tagged?

Yes.  We will be tagging ours.  We do not intend to keep all of the ducks we find.  The idea is that at least a couple of ours will be found and re-hidden and we see them appear in a social media post somewhere next year.  We want to see how long one of our ducks can remain on board.  Hopefully, RCCL doesn't send me a bill for room and board for our ducks. 😆

• 2 weeks later...

We’re staying at Hotel Andre and was able to book transportation from hotel to port. The price is not as much as other post for four people, but I’m sure the distances are different. Does anyone have insight from getting to the hotel downtown from airport? My daughter was recently there and said the light rail at night is a little uncomfortable. COVID a seems to have Seattle hard and the downtown isn’t what it once was a few years ago. I’m not sure. Lyft can accommodate 4 people with luggage. Any ideas would be welcomed. Btw, we too are on the June 17th sailing!

10 minutes ago, Floating Fun said:

We’re staying at Hotel Andre and was able to book transportation from hotel to port. The price is not as much as other post for four people, but I’m sure the distances are different. Does anyone have insight from getting to the hotel downtown from airport? My daughter was recently there and said the light rail at night is a little uncomfortable. COVID a seems to have Seattle hard and the downtown isn’t what it once was a few years ago. I’m not sure. Lyft can accommodate 4 people with luggage. Any ideas would be welcomed. Btw, we too are on the June 17th sailing!

We booked Premier Airport Shuttle to a downtown hotel for $50.60 for two people. They give the option to prepay a gratuity with the booking or to pay a cash gratuity at the time of service.

We are staying downtown at Embassy Suites (using Hilton points) because there are more choices for restaurants and closer to the port.  I have read Seattle traffic jams can be legendary and I would not want to get caught in one from an airport hotel to the port when we have a checkin time window to meet.