Minor traveling with grandmother - consent form

This is my first cruise and I’m traveling with my 15 1/2 yr old granddaughter. She has passport but I need consent form completed (which I only found out when I received my travel documents from RC 30 days before the cruise and cruise starts 4/29).  Only problem is I live in California and my granddaughter lives in New Jersey. We’re meeting in Vancouver, Canada for an Alaskan cruise and RC is telling me I need to fly to New Jersey to have the consent form notarized. I asked why can’t the parents get their signature notarized in New Jersey, fed ex the document to California and I get a notary here in California to notarized my name/signature?  So now I’m spending over an additional $1000.00 to take this cruise (days off work, airporter, air fare, dog boarding).  So if I don’t have this notarized document on the day of embarkation We won’t be getting on the ship.  

3 hours ago, Mprice5159 said:

This is my first cruise and I’m traveling with my 15 1/2 yr old granddaughter. She has passport but I need consent form completed (which I only found out when I received my travel documents from RC 30 days before the cruise and cruise starts 4/29).  Only problem is I live in California and my granddaughter lives in New Jersey. We’re meeting in Vancouver, Canada for an Alaskan cruise and RC is telling me I need to fly to New Jersey to have the consent form notarized. I asked why can’t the parents get their signature notarized in New Jersey, fed ex the document to California and I get a notary here in California to notarized my name/signature?  So now I’m spending over an additional $1000.00 to take this cruise (days off work, airporter, air fare, dog boarding).  So if I don’t have this notarized document on the day of embarkation We won’t be getting on the ship.  

To be honest, I don't know anything about the "consent" form.  But, if the "consent" form doesn't include it, I'd have a notarized Power of Attorney giving you the ability to make medical decisions in case of a medical emergency while she is in your custody/care. 

Any time my grandkids come to visit with us, they come with that Power of Attorney, no matter if we travel further or not.  

I though a minor for the purposes of that form was 12 or under?  I would try reaching out through Facebook/Twitter (if you don’t have an account I guarantee your granddaughter does!) to @michaelbayley & get a definitive answer.  Phone reps don’t know squat.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-family-legal-documents-do-i-need-to-board

Per their FAQ you don't have to use the suggested form and you can draft your own letter.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. 

Things may be different now but over the years I have taken a couple of minor children on cruises (friends of my son) and also had my son go with others on cruises. In all cases I just drafted a simple letter that said I had their permission and had their parents sign it or that they had my permission and I signed it (depending on who was signing away their kids).

Never had anything countersigned or notarized.

Unfortunately though RCI wins any dispute so if thats what they are insisting on then better safe than sorry.

Good suggestion from AshleyDillo.  Use the Royal form as a template & draft your own “permission slip” omitting where is shows your signature being notarized.  The notarization proves the parents who are NOT present at boarding actually signed the document.  You ARE present so don’t see why a notary has to attest that you did too.

When we took our grandkids with us without their parents we had the parent(s) sign and notarize a simple letter giving us permission to treat the child and sign for them on any activities that require it during our trip. They also gave us their insurance information and we included them on our travel insurance. We presented this at embarkation and held it with us on our excursions. We did not have to have to sign or notarize the letter as it is the parents who are giving permission. It included the cruise dates, cruise line and our names. When we picked the kids up they gave us the letter.

Our grand daughter is 5.  I had our son sign the RCCL form that I printed on their website, and filled out.  We had it notarized, just to be safe.  I also have her insurance card, and original birth certificate to take with us in May.   She does not have a passport.  After reading through this thread, I hope there is nothing I am missing. It will be our first time taking her on a cruise, and I want it to go as smooth as possible.

15 hours ago, Mprice5159 said:

According to Royal's website: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-if-i-am-traveling-with-a-minor-and-i-am-not-their-parent-legal-guardian

Q

What if I’m traveling with a minor and I’m not their parent or legal guardian?

A

Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of a minor traveling with them must present an original, notarized letter signed by the child's parent(s) authorizing the adult to take the child on the specific cruise, supervise the child, and allow emergency medical treatment to be administered, if needed.

This is necessary even when the adult traveling is part of the child’s extended family (i.e. aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc). To make it easy for you, we have a sample letter you can use. The letter can be downloaded here.

In order to use their sample letter, the notary would need the parent and the adult accompanying the minor to be present together.  However, it does NOT say you have to use their sample letter.  Just have the parent write their own letter and get it notarized.  You are not the first grandparent who doesn't live in the same town as your granddaughter and it would be ridiculous to have the situation you describe.  This is pretty clearly a case of a phone agent not understanding the rules.  That's unfortunately very common.