ID's accepted. In panic mode!

3 hours ago, jay1021 said:

That is the primary purpose, not the sole purpose.  How many other official or non-official activities have you been involved in that was not travel related but would accept a U.S. Passport as identification?

When I was an election judge passport was valid ID for voting. Accepted for proof of age  for drinking and starting school.  

6 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Okay, I see that now.  I was just looking at her OP.  I'm also rushing trying to help.  I can only imagine what she's going through.

Same, and it was a good thought. I'm a military brat, and during one of the moves we made as a family my parents managed to lose my birth certificate. When it was time to get my learner's permit, the state we were in would not accept my dependent ID card to get the permit, but would accept it to get a non-driver's ID which they would then turn around to use to issue the learner's permit. Playing the bureaucracy against itself is part of the game, and your post actually gave me a thought that I don't think will work here: some DoD/Govt facilities offer recreational passes for non-affiliated visitors. They look like a chipless CAC in my neck of the woods.

14 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Same, and it was a good thought. I'm a military brat, and during one of the moves we made as a family my parents managed to lose my birth certificate. When it was time to get my learner's permit, the state we were in would not accept my dependent ID card to get the permit, but would accept it to get a non-driver's ID which they would then turn around to use to issue the learner's permit. Playing the bureaucracy against itself is part of the game, and your post actually gave me a thought that I don't think will work here: some DoD/Govt facilities offer recreational passes for non-affiliated visitors. They look like a chipless CAC in my neck of the woods.

It's amazing, back when I was in the Army, I could walk into the Personnel Office, without an appointment, and get a new military ID.  So could the rest of my family.  We didn't/don't pay any taxes directly to the U.S. Army for any personal services.  We all pay a lot of taxes to our Cities, Counties, and States for personal services.  But, I'll be damned, all we get is you have to jump through hoops, dot Is, cross Ts, hand over your first born, whatever.  

6 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

It's amazing, back when I was in the Army, I could walk into the Personnel Office, without an appointment, and get a new military ID.  So could the rest of my family.  We didn't/didn't pay any taxes directly to the U.S. Army for any personal services.  We all pay a lot of taxes to our Cities, Counties, and States for personal services.  But, I'll be damned, all we get is you have to jump through hoops, dot Is, cross Ts, hand over your first born, whatever.  

I'm not DoD but kind of DoD adjacent, and the hoops you have to jump through to get a CaC as a civil servant or contractor right now would absolutely boggle your mind (entirely due to staffing at OneStop). New employees, or those who had the misfortune of losing their ID, can easily go weeks without having one right now. Their only task is to get to OneStop at 7a, and hope there are enough spaces left after those in uniform get their appointments assigned.

9 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

I'm not DoD but kind of DoD adjacent, and the hoops you have to jump through to get a CaC as a civil servant or contractor right now would absolutely boggle your mind (entirely due to staffing at OneStop). New employees, or those who had the misfortune of losing their ID, can easily go weeks without having one right now. Their only task is to get to OneStop at 7a, and hope there are enough spaces left after those in uniform get their appointments assigned.

I'll not get political in this venue.  But, I will say that one reason why I retired from the Army when I did is because I could see the direction the Military (DOD) was going.  Nuff said!

8 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

But, their own website says "older than 16 and older".  That means, 16, 17, 25, 84 247, whatever.  🥴

It doesn't make sense. It's not clear at all. I tried looking at a voter ID card. Ironically student ID is listed as what you can use to vote.

He suggested we go and try and if he can't get in he will stay with his Dad who lives less than an hour away. But I would feel too terrible. Part of the cruise was for his graduation this year. 

The point of an ID is of course to ID someone and therefore I would think the expiration would be less an issue than that his picture and name are congruent. To be honest, I don’t recall people looking at our ID’s for long enough to be checking everything. I know he’s got a drivers license, can they also issue him a state ID that they might be able to get to him faster or on the spot? I ask that because when I get my new drivers license they always give me an exact copy on cardboard immediately and then mail me the same one with laminate. If all else fails I think I would take the expired passport, expired license, his birth certificate, and school ID and then if needed (as they may not even notice the date) plead my case in person. But that’s me… Yet in the end If it says online a BC snd student ID are acceptable then they *must* accept that Whether the school is public or private.

I would also be as distressed as you are and I feel so for you. It does at times feel like it is one thing after another and the world is out to get us. I have all my fingers crossed for you!

P.S. I’m sorry if I missed this, but are you working with the TA? Just wondered is she/he had thoughts/options. And this may sound silly, but does your local library (even local college library who offers locals cards) give photo id cards?? That would be a govt ID!

Did you check with your travel agent on the correct policy of what is acceptable documents for individuals under 18 in this emergency situation at the port? Would trust my travel agent over the many Royal customer service agents and waiting on hold for who knows how long who may give incorrect information in the end.

36 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

The point of an ID is of course to ID someone and therefore I would think the expiration would be less an issue than that his picture and name are congruent. To be honest, I don’t recall people looking at our ID’s for long enough to be checking everything. I know he’s got a drivers license, can they also issue him a state ID that they might be able to get to him faster or on the spot? I ask that because when I get my new drivers license they always give me an exact copy on cardboard immediately and then mail me the same one with laminate. If all else fails I think I would take the expired passport, expired license, his birth certificate, and school ID and then if needed (as they may not even notice the date) plead my case in person. But that’s me… Yet in the end If it says online a BC snd student ID are acceptable then they *must* accept that Whether the school is public or private.

I would also be as distressed as you are and I feel so for you. It does at times feel like it is one thing after another and the world is out to get us. I have all my fingers crossed for you!

P.S. I’m sorry if I missed this, but are you working with the TA? Just wondered is she/he had thoughts/options. And this may sound silly, but does your local library (even local college library who offers locals cards) give photo id cards?? That would be a govt ID!

He doesn't have a driver's license. We went to get another ID today and all they gave us was a DMV receipt print out with the info on it and where we can track the ID. 

I booked directly with Royal. 

20 minutes ago, SMOKEY0202 said:

Did you check with your travel agent on the correct policy of what is acceptable documents for individuals under 18 in this emergency situation at the port? Would trust my travel agent over the many Royal customer service agents and waiting on hold for who knows how long who may give incorrect information in the end.

Booked with Royal directly. Won't do it again 

40 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Local library cards, yes. No photo though. Looking at voter ID card now to see if that's an option. 

14 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

Local library cards, yes. No photo though. Looking at voter ID card now to see if that's an option. 

I did not know if his ID was DL or not. Gotcha 

If they will allow a voter’s card with an ID, in addition to a DL, that would be great. Every state is so different on these things. Our local college will let people in the community get a library card there, which are in essence is like student IDs, and they have photos. It could work if there’s a college nearby.

55 minutes ago, SMOKEY0202 said:

The problem is her son is already 18 so the under 18 rules won't help.  I think it comes down to whether an expired passport qualifies as an acceptable photo ID.  Of course, the best option is finding the missing ID!

3 hours ago, Wanderlust876 said:

*** Distegard. No appts available.

Did you get a rush appointment? I was under the impression that it had to be a family emergency? I'm going to call and see. 

:(. Sorry there are no appointments.

I was able to get an appointment as I had a bit more time before the cruise than you have (the appointment was scheduled for just 2 business days before the cruise, per their rules).

There was someone very recently who was allowed to board with a photo of old DL iirc (lost wallet), expired passport is way stronger identity proof than that.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/6/2022 at 10:05 AM, Wanderlust876 said:

I'm on hold with Royal now but wanted to see if anyone has run into this. My oldest son who just turned 18 can't find his ID. We went to DMV today and they are mailing a new one but it won't get to us by Monday. 

I see on the check in it allows me to choose birth certificate plus student ID as an option. Is this OK since he's 18? He is a senior in HS still. 

He has a passport but it's expired. I'm totally panicking right now. 😭

Hi I am following this . Did your son  ever get to board the ship ?