ID's accepted. In panic mode!

I'm on hold with Royal now but wanted to see if anyone has run into this. My oldest son who just turned 18 can't find his ID. We went to DMV today and they are mailing a new one but it won't get to us by Monday. 

I see on the check in it allows me to choose birth certificate plus student ID as an option. Is this OK since he's 18? He is a senior in HS still. 

He has a passport but it's expired. I'm totally panicking right now. 😭

24 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

I'm on hold with Royal now but wanted to see if anyone has run into this. My oldest son who just turned 18 can't find his ID. We went to DMV today and they are mailing a new one but it won't get to us by Monday. 

I see on the check in it allows me to choose birth certificate plus student ID as an option. Is this OK since he's 18? He is a senior in HS still. 

Stay on the phone and talk to them.  Here is the RCL site that states they need a Government Issued ID.

What travel documents do I need to board a cruise ship (U.S. Citizens)? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

31 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

Does your DMV do the digital licenses now? That may be an option. Or some form of non-driver's license. Sometimes they're really wonky about what they can get for you same day.

Post on the other boards, wallet lost enroute with all IDs and did not have a passport.  Port accepted a photo of his expired DL 😳😳🤷‍♀️.  If you have his birth certificate, his student ID (has his picture correct?) and his expired passport, that should be good.  If however, you are flying be aware he will be subject to additional TSA screening.

11 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Does your DMV do the digital licenses now? That may be an option. Or some form of non-driver's license. Sometimes they're really wonky about what they can get for you same day.

He doesn't drive yet so all we asked for was an ID. I was not expecting a 7-10 day wait but that's what she said 😳

10 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Post on the other boards, wallet lost enroute with all IDs and did not have a passport.  Port accepted a photo of his expired DL 😳😳🤷‍♀️.  If you have his birth certificate, his student ID (has his picture correct?) and his expired passport, that should be good.  If however, you are flying be aware he will be subject to additional TSA screening.

Yes, I've seen quite a few posts saying school ID is considered "government" if it's issued by a public school. (It does have a photo). From what I'm reading the ID doesn't have to be "valid" as in current . I'd just hate to drive 12 hours to have problems. I'm also not sure why Royal would give you the option of choosing those two docs during check in if it wasn't Ok but I'm just worried. 

Im still holding, the wait times are loooooong. 

12 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

He doesn't drive yet so all we asked for was an ID. I was not expecting a 7-10 day wait but that's what she said 😳

Uggh... Sorry. How needlessly stressful! I think you can do an urgent travel passport in 5 business days. You may be inside of that window, though.

Alabama used to do the whole mail you your ID card thing... They'd at least print a paper temporary and give you a digital ID while you were waiting. I'm sure it theoretically saves money to have the printing centralized, but with ID being so critical to function it seems like it just makes more problems.

Where are you cruising from? To?  What did you use for ID for on line check in?  Really they just need to be sure there is verifiable proof he is who he says he is.  You’re already on hold so may as well ask but I’m thinking you have enough proof. Try not to panic too much. 😘

42 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

I used to be an investigator for the U.S. Department of Personnel  Management (specialized in Background Investigations for Security Clearances), the policy there was that a U.S. Passport could be used as an instrument of Identification, but not for travel.  So, if you produce a Birth Certificate and are using the Passport for the purpose of identity only, I don't see why it can't be used to get on a ship.  I would guess a Passport is much more creditable, even if expired, than a Student ID.  

36 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Where are you cruising from? To?  What did you use for ID for on line check in?  Really they just need to be sure there is verifiable proof he is who he says he is.  You’re already on hold so may as well ask but I’m thinking you have enough proof. Try not to panic too much. 😘

To Bahamas from Port Canaveral. I used the Birth Certificate plus School ID option for check in. I've got an agent on the line now he is double checking. 

31 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

I used to be an investigator for the U.S. Department of Personnel  Management (specialized in Background Investigations for Security Clearances), the policy there was that a U.S. Passport could be used as an instrument of Identification, but not for travel.  So, if you produce a Birth Certificate and are using the Passport for the purpose of identity only, I don't see why it can't be used to get on a ship.  I would guess a Passport is much more creditable, even if expired, than a Student ID.  

Yes, one would think. Fingers crossed. 

32 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Isn't the sole purpose of a passport to be an official travel document issued by the government??

7 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

Isn't the sole purpose of a passport to be an official travel document issued by the government??

That is the primary purpose, not the sole purpose.  How many other official or non-official activities have you been involved in that was not travel related but would accept a U.S. Passport as identification?

9 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

That is the primary purpose, not the sole purpose.  How many other official or non-official activities have you been involved in that was not travel related but would accept a U.S. Passport as identification?

I needed my passport three times for official and activities. 1. To renew my driver's license in FL it was one of the acceptable documents. 2. When I bought my house a few years ago my social security card was momentarily misplaced and the bank let me use the passport instead. 3. When I was a student, I stayed at a hostel one time in Manhattan and not only did I need to have a passport to stay there. They take your passport and lock it in a safety box until check out.

Depending on where you live and when you are cruising - same or next day in-person passport service may also be an option.  See https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html and yes, cruise qualifies for international travel definition (did this for daughter back in September as her passport was expired, though being 7, she didn't strictly need the passport).

14 minutes ago, roundabout said:

Depending on where you live and when you are cruising - same or next day in-person passport service may also be an option.  See https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html and yes, cruise qualifies for international travel definition (did this for daughter back in September as her passport was expired, though being 7, she didn't strictly need the passport).

Which is funny because of the whole having to wait a week for a driver's license thing.

How expensive was the same day service?

31 minutes ago, Colombia20102018 said:

I needed my passport three times for official and activities. 1. To renew my driver's license in FL it was one of the acceptable documents. 2. When I bought my house a few years ago my social security card was momentarily misplaced and the bank let me use the passport instead. 3. When I was a student, I stayed at a hostel one time in Manhattan and not only did I need to have a passport to stay there. They take your passport and lock it in a safety box until check out.

Exactly.  Schools, DMVs, Most Government Agencies (State or Federal), and many private businesses will accept U.S. Passports as a valid form of ID.  

11 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

The consensus from the royal rep was that no, they would not accept either. I'm not sure I agree but I don't want to drive all that way to find out. This is a nightmare. 

Im not quite sure why they even offer it as a check in option of it's not accepted. 

I would urge you to still go. if the ID was accepted for online check-in I would think it would be okay. have the expired passport as well and any other ID you have even if not photo. At the terminal if the terminal rep tries to not let you in the building, demand to see a Royal representative. 

16 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

The consensus from the royal rep was that no, they would not accept either. I'm not sure I agree but I don't want to drive all that way to find out. This is a nightmare. 

Im not quite sure why they even offer it as a check in option of it's not accepted. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-documents-do-i-need-to-board

• A Passport Book or Passport Card, valid for at least six months after your cruise, is strongly recommended. U.S. citizens that do not have a passport may present a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate (not a "baby feet" hospital certificate or baptismal paper). Guests age 16 and older that present a Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver's License or picture ID issued by the government. International guests will need a passport book, valid for at least six months after your cruise.

I'm guessing that if your son goes to a City, County, State (public) school and that school issues a photo ID, it is "issued by the government".   

16 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

• A Passport Book or Passport Card, valid for at least six months after your cruise, is strongly recommended. U.S. citizens that do not have a passport may present a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate (not a "baby feet" hospital certificate or baptismal paper). Guests age 16 and older that present a Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver's License or picture ID issued by the government. International guests will need a passport book, valid for at least six months after your cruise.

I'm guessing that if your son goes to a City, County, State (public) school and that school issues a photo ID, it is "issued by the government".   

That is exactly what I read. The rep even asked me if the school was private or public ( it's public) which would be the government. Then went on to say he checked with another department and he had to have a license! I'm not sure I got the most educated answer because obviously not everyone has a license 🤔

I’m sorry but those reps are usually wrong.  I agree with a PP. Royal should be embarrassed by how little correct information they are able to provide.  I think it entirely possible that the person to whom you just spoke was sitting in their dining room.  Put you on hold, went & made a cup of coffee and came back with the safe answer which is no.  Can you reach out through either Facebook or Twitter?  It appears that will get you a faster and more likely correct answer.  Please keep us posted.

24 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

That is exactly what I read. The rep even asked me if the school was private or public ( it's public) which would be the government. Then went on to say he checked with another department and he had to have a license! I'm not sure I got the most educated answer because obviously not everyone has a license 🤔

I'd call back and ask to speak to a manager!

I wouldn't mind expediting his passport but I'd have to drive to DC....about 4 hours away, sometime before Friday. 

Guess you have to determine how bad you want a stressless boarding process and to ensure you can get on the ship for your cruise.

I wouldn't mind expediting his passport but I'd have to drive to DC....about 4 hours away, sometime before Friday. 

9 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

Guess you have to determine how bad you want a stressless boarding process and to ensure you can get on the ship for your cruise.

Not to mention having peace of mind for covering any contingencies that could result in a need to fly internationally (everyone, regardless of age, needs a passport for that - which was the reason why my daughter has a passport).

7 minutes ago, roundabout said:

Not to mention having peace of mind for covering any contingencies that could result in a need to fly internationally (everyone, regardless of age, needs a passport for that - which was the reason why my daughter has a passport).

I whole heartedly agree with that reason.  Personally I would not set foot outside a US teritory (to be honest I would not even leave the continental US (CONUS) with out a valid pasport) without a valid passport.  Yes you can go to an embasy and get a temp and there are other ways, but nothing TRUMPs a good old passport.  I not only helped manage my childerns passports up until the last renewal at age 26-28ish, which make them good for 10 more years, I told them if money is the issue I would pay for renewals, they just have to manage the timing.

1 hour ago, roundabout said:

*** Distegard. No appts available.

Did you get a rush appointment? I was under the impression that it had to be a family emergency? I'm going to call and see. 

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:

Absolutely

Regardless of a terminal agents understanding of the school ID being government issued, there is no disputing a passport being government issued photo ID, expired or not.

1 hour ago, Wanderlust876 said:

Atlanta has an office and that would be on your way (probably). Both appear to be by appointment only, so you'd have to start calling ASAP to see where you could even get an appointment. I know it's a drive, but at this point the only sure thing is to get the passport or call your DMV and see if there's anyway to expedite that process. Or make the drive and risk being turned away in FL.

8 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Atlanta has an office and that would be on your way (probably). Both appear to be by appointment only, so you'd have to start calling ASAP to see where you could even get an appointment. I know it's a drive, but at this point the only sure thing is to get the passport or call your DMV and see if there's anyway to expedite that process. Or make the drive and risk being turned away in FL.

There are currently no appts available before Monday. I'm on the fence at this point. 

15 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

There are currently no appts available before Monday. I'm on the fence at this point. 

Does your state offer ID Cards, I'm not talking about Driver's Licenses?  Just an ID Card.  If they do, can they get one to your immediately?  What about some other City, County (voter ID (if it has a picture), or State.  Check all avenues.  

Edited in: Is your state Driver's License an enhanced one?  That might be why they can't get one to you before Monday.  That's why I'm think just an ID Card might be possible.  

Man, I feel bad for you.  

I know a guy.................. never mind 🥶

7 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Does your state offer ID Cards, I'm not talking about Driver's Licenses?  Just an ID Card.  If they do, can they get one to your immediately?  What about some other City, County (voter ID (if it has a picture), or State.  Check all avenues.  

Man, I feel bad for you.  

I know a guy.................. never mind 🥶

She said her son isn't a driver yet, so presumably they're going the non-driver route.

I am so sorry this is happening to you.  I assume you've done the mom thing and turned his room/belongings inside out to be sure it's really truly lost? Gone back through when he last had the ID?  Checked lost and found at school?  Checked friends' houses? I'm sure you've covered all this, but have to ask.  The number of things my family has sworn are lost forever, only to be found later, is high.