Voom vs. Internet Cafe - Oasis

Ocalarnd

I know there are a number of threads about Voom, but can someone help me with a basic "first timer" question?

We only want the ability to occasionally check email from our dog-sitter/house-sitter and elderly parents in case there is any issue over the week. So we do not need streaming of major data. Do we still need Voom for 1 device to have this minimal level of contact, or is there a free email access via an internet cafe or other limited WiFi connection? Specifically on the Oasis (summer trip).

Also is the current $11/day 1 device rate on the Planner the normal rate?

Thanks to all those of you willing to contribute and help.

If you're looking to just check in every now and then, I would recommend finding a place with wifi when you're in port.  It seems to be everywhere now.  Are you Eastern or Western Caribbean?  I know the Margaritaville in Falmouth has internet and it's really (really) close to the ship.  But you need to get the password from a worker.  

If you're looking to just check in every now and then, I would recommend finding a place with wifi when you're in port. 

I agree. Based on what you're asking for, you will be best off with using free, or low-cost WiFi in port.  

The Voom packages are designed for use throughout your cruise.  You can certainly buy it and make it simpler on yourself, but if you are only going to check a hand full of times, it may not make financial sense.

I guess I was hoping there was an area on the ship with a small WiFi presence with minimal bandwidth to allow for quick email updates. Hence the hope for the Internet Cafe.

I am not keen on using WiFi in a foreign port due to cyber security concerns. And my understanding is that there may be "wired" internet access in the Internet Cafe (but is even that free or pay?), but I was not planning on taking a laptop (although I might for DVD player use for kids at night).

Any other suggestions are also appreciated.

I guess I was hoping there was an area on the ship with a small WiFi presence with minimal bandwidth to allow for quick email updates. Hence the hope for the Internet Cafe.

There is and you can connect to the WiFi and get a smaller package or even a per-minute rate.