Self Serve Buffet is Back!

Moby Dick

6 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Now if we could only impress upon some people that this isn't their own tasting bar.  And get parents to watch their kids while at the buffet.  

48 minutes ago, Wanderlust876 said:

Seriously?!?! This was one of the reasons I booked Royal as opposed to a few other cruise lines.  It's so gross, especially now. 

Don't take this as a put down or anything else.  I have nothing buy the best of intentions here:

Two ways to avoid any grossness, get to the buffet early and be the first or one of the first there (that's what I like to do, but I usually only go to the buffet for breakfast and eat as much bacon as I can handle 😃) OR don't go to the buffet.  There are other venues to eat at that is free/included. Or, I just thought of this, ask one of the crew to put food on your plate from an unopened container or from the back side where nobody has touched it, not sure if that is possible though.  

16 hours ago, Wanderlust876 said:

Seriously?!?! This was one of the reasons I booked Royal as opposed to a few other cruise lines.  It's so gross, especially now. 

According to the blog post, they will still have single-serve options. That was also on our cruise. For example, there was muesli that the attendants put on your plate, or cups of it that were already plated where you just had to grab the cup of it and go. That may be a better option if there are concerns about people touching everything.

I will say I think it will be faster. I heard they are having some staffing issues, and it was a challenge for 1 attendant to try to serve two lines at each station, especially when people would stand in front of two different sections of the same side (like the fruit and the oatmeal).

Reading the comments on the facebook post for this article it seems most people are a bit bummed by this and I have to agree I am one of them.

Ignoring that it was changed  because of Covid, it was a good idea over all (generally cleaner food areas, less food waste, less people cutting in line and/or milling around at stations in confusion) and I was hoping they'd find a way to keep it going - whether it meant hiring more stiff to shifting people around to make it work - but alas...it did not. T_T

On Liberty right now, and all the stuff people complain about at self serve all already evident by day 3.  Hard to understand because every person I spoke with at the Top Tier event yesterday thought they should go back to crew serving.  It is not any quicker at self serve like some say, I know as I was on last week also, both sailings relatively saame number of guests, just more kids this week.  It is actually slower, more milling around and more picking through dishes.  No additional single servings that were ever there in the past.  No addtions roaming servers or table cleaners than last week.

Will it stop me sailing, NO, will they get low marks on their survey for windjammer, Every sailing from now on.

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

On Liberty right now, and all the stuff people complain about at self serve all already evident by day 3.  Hard to understand because every person I spoke with at the Top Tier event yesterday thought they should go back to crew serving.  It is not any quicker at self serve like some say, I know as I was on last week also, both sailings relatively saame number of guests, just more kids this week.  It is actually slower, more milling around and more picking through dishes.  No additional single servings that were ever there in the past.  No addtions roaming servers or table cleaners than last week.

Will it stop me sailing, NO, will they get low marks on their survey for windjammer, Every sailing from now on.

I'm not sure it's really fair to give a low score on a survey for something the passengers are doing. The staff are the ones who will be penalized when they have zero control over it.

Was on enchantment last week and loved the idea of the crew serving on the buffett..in the past people used their hands to take food..then ate something they took with those hands ...then went to take more food with those same hands that were in their mouth..totally grrrooosss! Yes there were staffing shortages but it is a much better option to have the crew serve  to avoid possible contamination and to not waste as much food!

22 hours ago, Lexster said:

I'm not sure it's really fair to give a low score on a survey for something the passengers are doing. The staff are the ones who will be penalized when they have zero control over it.

the staff includes the food service manager who has at least some control over it.  Anytime i have ever provided a low raating the survey software they use asked me to provide a reasoon for that rating, that is where I get to tell them the rating was low because they went back to self serve at the buffet.  About the only way I know that I can comment on my displeasure with this change, so I will continue to use it

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

the staff includes the food service manager who has at least some control over it.  Anytime i have ever provided a low raating the survey software they use asked me to provide a reasoon for that rating, that is where I get to tell them the rating was low because they went back to self serve at the buffet.  About the only way I know that I can comment on my displeasure with this change, so I will continue to use it

There are numerous places you could comment your displeasure including emailing their support or contacting them on social media. I'm just saying, I've worked at companies that ask customers to do surveys. They're used to punish workers who don't get perfect scores. Management doesn't always use the best logic when it comes to that stuff. But, do what you think is best, I'm just letting you know that it will very possibly affect staff members who didn't do anything wrong.