Alaska Airlines Has Some Serious Labor Issues.

Moby Dick

I hope you already have airlines reservations to Seattle or other locations in AK booked through other airlines.  Many media outlets are reporting things in the airline industry aren't looking good for future travelers.  Just one more thing to worry about before my AK Cruise on May 13th.  We're booked on Southwest but they have had/are having issues too.  Shortage of pilots. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireStory/alaska-airlines-cancels-dozens-flights-pilots-picket-83814477

And getting worse.

Just experienced this with flights from DC to West Coast Thursday on JetBlue.   Delays, labor shortages, and other reasons had them asking me to come back Friday.  I begged my way on another flight, connected in Boston to another lengthy delay and issues and arrived to Vegas at midnight.  Coming back last night (different airline/no issues) I saw more people with cancelled flights and delays on JetBlue. 

I mostly flew on Southwest last year and out of 30 flights, 80 % of my flights delayed by more than 2 hours or cancelled.  The struggle for them is real.

I am driving 9 hours to TN later this month to avoid the hassles and costs of flying.  

American and Delta seem to be doing better. 

WOW, just for fun, we looked at our tickets from ATL to SEA, that we purchased in November 2021, and it has gone up by over $1,000.00.  Man, I'm glad we purchased as soon as Southwest opened up their May flights.  Now, I just hope nothing goes wrong with it.  Went from >$700.00 for two to >$1,800.00.  

9 hours ago, jay1021 said:

WOW, just for fun, we looked at our tickets from ATL to SEA, that we purchased in November 2021, and it has gone up by over $1,000.00.  Man, I'm glad we purchased as soon as Southwest opened up their May flights.  Now, I just hope nothing goes wrong with it.  Went from >$700.00 for two to >$1,800.00.  

Oof. Yeah, flight cost to SEA is part of why we're waiting to take another Alaska trip. Cruise was cheap, flights not so much. 🤣

1 hour ago, GKMCruising said:

Oof. Yeah, flight cost to SEA is part of why we're waiting to take another Alaska trip. Cruise was cheap, flights not so much. 🤣

My wife is a price hawk, she found a price drop about a month ago and called, we got the $30.00 per ticket credit.  Not that that is going to do us any good.  The credit isn't a credit to your C.C., it's a future flight credit only good for a year.  Something we probably won't use as I normally don't fly.  I wouldn't fly this trip if it wasn't for the cost of gas and hotels.  Both of which are ridiculous.    

• 3 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 10:08 AM, similarbmk said:

That's why it's important to use only reliable airlines operating for a long time.

This way, you can be sure that your flight will go smoothly and according to the schedule. When I need to get to another state urgently, I use private planes because their flights are much more stable. I can always find out the cost of the flight, as well as view the available planes. They are more expensive, but I know I will be in the right state at the right time.  https://www.flylargent.com/cost-estimator