Military Discounts

lotoma

My son is buying 3 staterooms for family vacation. As a Veteran of Foreign War, I understand he receives a military discount from RCCL. Since he is also paying for the other stateroom for immediate family, mom and dad, brother and sister, are those rooms also eligible for military discounts?

thank you.

Normally discounts are earned based on guests staying in each cabin.  The credit card paying for them, or holder of the credit card doesn't matter.

Having said that I did see someone on another social media channel that claimed their military discount applied to other cabins, so... ?  🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, lotoma said:

My son is buying 3 staterooms for family vacation. As a Veteran of Foreign War, I understand he receives a military discount from RCCL. Since he is also paying for the other stateroom for immediate family, mom and dad, brother and sister, are those rooms also eligible for military discounts?

thank you.

Only the stateroom your son is occupying is eligible for the military discount.  Note: military discounts are not available for all cruises and cannot be combined with other discounts.

48 minutes ago, Hoppy2cruise said:

Only the stateroom your son is occupying is eligible for the military discount.  Note: military discounts are not available for all cruises and cannot be combined with other discounts.

What special pricing is available on a Royal Caribbean cruise?

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following: 

1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.
  2. Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed RED (Reserve retired personnel) or BLUE (Active Duty retired personnel) Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess a green NDI-75 card (retired personnel). All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.
  3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.
  4. Spouses of actively deployed military personnel are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. This rate also applies to all other guests traveling in the same stateroom. Spouses of deceased military personnel are also eligible for the military rate. As proof of eligibility, spouses must present the Pink or Tan Dependent Military ID upon check-in.
  • All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom. 

I am retired active duty Army.  That fact is in my Crowne & Anchor membership.  Some cruises I get a military discount and others I don't.  I don't see any logic behind it.  I'm sure there is, I just don't see it.  In fact, I have two Royal invoices that are still active (I haven't cruised yet), one doesn't show any "military discount" and the other does.  The weird thing is, the military discount is shown under my wife's name (no one else's), who is NOT a veteran or has been in the military.  Go figure.

57 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

I am retired active duty Army.  That fact is in my Crowne & Anchor membership.  Some cruises I get a military discount and others I don't.  I don't see any logic behind it.  I'm sure there is, I just don't see it.  In fact, I have two Royal invoices that are still active (I haven't cruised yet), one doesn't show any "military discount" and the other does.  The weird thing is, the military discount is shown under my wife's name (no one else's), who is NOT a veteran or has been in the military.  Go figure.

Separated (not retired USAF), my guesstimate would be that only 10%-15% of my cruises, lifetime, have qualified for the discount. I have no idea the criteria used to determine eligibility, but I am happy to get it when I can.

15 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Separated (not retired USAF), my guesstimate would be that only 10%-15% of my cruises, lifetime, have qualified for the discount. I have no idea the criteria used to determine eligibility, but I am happy to get it when I can.

Exactly!!!  I hate it when I see/hear former military raising hell with businesses that don't extend a military discount.  It's embarrassing!  

We have been fortunate to find military discounts on all our current/past cruises.  They often don’t show up right away so I am always looking for one.  And I have always found them to be combinable with whatever other discounts are available to us.  For our October Explorer cruise, the discount came to $620, by far the biggest we’ve gotten.  But then it dropped to $200 and disappeared entirely for a while.  No rhyme or reason I can see.🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, rbdavis3591 said:

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

I’ve never been asked for proof, has anyone else? I have a veterans ID card that was given by my county but I don’t usually travel with my DD Form 214..

57 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I’ve never been asked for proof, has anyone else? I have a veterans ID card that was given by my county but I don’t usually travel with my DD Form 214..

I've got a "Retired ID" and Royal has never asked for it or any other proof of military service.  I guess, if I remember correctly several years ago, I just told them I was a vet and they believed me.  The "veterans ID" issued by the VA, unless something has changed, is something relatively new.  Before the "Veterans ID" it was quite common for vets to carry an official copy of their DD 214.  That "Veterans ID" sure makes things a little easier.

2 hours ago, teddy said:

Not all cruises qualify for the military discount.  

I think that is right.  I also think there are some other discounts that apply.  If they apply, they won't stack certain other discounts.  One of those, "if you get this, you don't get that" type of thing.  It's Okay, I'm cruising anyway, "military discount" or not.  I'm a cruiseaholic.  

6 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I always carry proof but have never been asked.  I feel like the people checking us in at the terminal don’t know what kind of discounts you might have and so don’t ask for proof.

We use a TA.  They will run your state, age and military.  For us, the military discount was never the best discount.  

Point being a TA can look at every aspect.  They do the work for you and you don't pay them.  RCCL does.  

Off topic, but best part they will be your liaison ....no need to be on hold on the phone for repricing.  

Just saying....

I use a TA but I also check my price way more often than she does.  I’ve had yet to have her find a reduction before I do.  She is good about getting it taken care of.  And every military discount I’ve gotten has been on top of whatever discount I’m already getting.  I’ve never had it not be stackable.  Just lucky I guess.