What is technically "fully vaccinated"? [Canada]

22 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We are finally going on our first cruise out of this god awful pandemic in July to Canada [two weeks later Oasis Coco Cay]. Anyway what is Canada's definition of "fully vaccinated". I have 3 shots so that includes the "booster". My wife and son only 2, no booster. Thanks for any help.

Good luck with this:

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/vaccine/COVID_19_vaccine_up_to_date.pdf

I'm guessing, original 1 or 2 doses, depending on the manufacturer, and a (1) booster.

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

For the purposes of cruising I believe they're using the same definition as the CDC and don't include boosters

The link I posted above is actually an Ontario site.  The Canadian Health Ministry's site actually says that it is out of date and will be updated soon.  That's why I said, "Good Luck".   So, I just don't know.  But, it the Ontario DOES say that to be considered fully vaccinated one must have a booster.  How that applies to a cruise?  I don't know.

Search

Search Canada.ca
Search

Menu

MAINMENU 

You are here:

COVID-19: Requirements for fully vaccinated travellers and unvaccinated children less than 12 years of age

Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests will no longer be required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. Until then, follow the pre-entry test requirements. You must still use ArriveCAN before and after April 1.

News release

This page is out of date and will be updated as soon as possible.

fully-vaccinated-en.jpg

Download in PDF format
(252 KB, 2 pages)

Please select a language:Make your selection...العربية (Arabic)中文 (简体) (Simplified Chinese)中文 (繁體) (Traditional Chinese)Paskwāwinīmowin (Cree)فارسی (Farsi)हिंदी (Hindi)ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ (ᓄᓇᕕᒃ) (Inuktitut (Nunavik))한국어 (Korean)Ojibwe Easternਪੰਜਾਬੀ (Punjabi)Español (Spanish)Tagalogதமிழ் (Tamil)اُردُو‎ (Urdu)Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)

Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada

Published: 2022-02-28

Warning: Read this handout carefully. It contains instructions from a quarantine officer, screening officer and the Minister of Health that you are required to meet under the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Quarantine, Isolation, and other Obligations). They are legally binding under the order.

Your compliance with this Order is subject to monitoring, verification and enforcement. If you do not comply, you may be transferred to a quarantine facility, face fines, and/or imprisonment.

Keep this handout for reference for the next 14 days.

I think the bottom line is that everyone who is vaccinated should get a booster shot unless your primary care physician advises against it.  I just got my 4th shot since I am a senior.  (I want to reduce the risk that I might accidentally spread the virus to vulnerable persons.)

The cruising benefit is that I can show that I am both fully vaccinated and up-to-date.  So as cruising regulations or variants change, I am fully prepared.

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Interpretation — fully vaccinated

(2) For the purposes of this Interim Order, a person is fully vaccinated at least 14 days after they complete a COVID-19 vaccine dosage

Which is from

https://tc.canada.ca/en/ministerial-orders-interim-orders-directives-directions-response-letters/interim-order-no-3-respecting-vessel-restrictions-vaccination-requirements-due-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

Interpretation — fully vaccinated

(2) For the purposes of this Interim Order, a person is fully vaccinated at least 14 days after they complete a COVID-19 vaccine dosage regimen if

1. (a) in the case of a vaccine dosage regimen that uses a COVID-19 vaccine that is authorized for sale in Canada,
    1. (i) the vaccine has been administered to the person in accordance with its labelling, or
    2. (ii) the Minister of Health determines, on the recommendation of the Chief Public Health Officer appointed under subsection 6(1) of the Public Health Agency of Canada Act, that the regimen is suitable, having regard to the scientific evidence related to the efficacy of that regimen in preventing the introduction or spread of COVID-19 or any other factor relevant to preventing the introduction or spread of COVID-19; or
  2. (b) in all other cases,
    1. (i) the vaccines of the regimen are authorized for sale in Canada or in another jurisdiction, and
    2. (ii) the Minister of Health determines, on the recommendation of the Chief Public Health Officer appointed under subsection 6(1) of the Public Health Agency of Canada Act, that the vaccines and the regimen are suitable, having regard to the scientific evidence related to the efficacy of that regimen and the vaccines in preventing the introduction or spread of COVID-19 or any other factor relevant to preventing the introduction or spread of COVID-19.

For greater certainty

Which is linked from

https://tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-issued-transport-canada/canada-s-cruise-ship-instructional-reference-tool

First and foremost, I'm not trying to start an argument or debate.  Just clarification.  In the first referenced link, I copied and pasted, in red and larger font, what it says is "interpretation" of fully vaccinated".  I don't see where it says that 1 or 2 or 3 jabs meet the requirements of the Canadian Government.  Maybe it says so somewhere else in the reference but I didn't see it.  I personally believe that the answer is as I stated in an earlier post in this thread but it is a reference to an Ontario document.  Ontario actually says what is is defined as "FULLY VACCINATED".   

Thanks in advance if you can set me, the OP, straight on this.  

For US and Canada fully vaccinated does not require a booster, just whatever the vaccine manufacturer requires (1 or 2) but depending on your ports of call and when you had your least shot you may need a booster since we are going to France a booster was required because it will be more than 270 days since our vaccine was completed. If we didn't get it we would not have been able to leave the ship at the French ports.