passport question

zjennk

We are going on the Ovation to Alaska end of July.  On our past cruises, my husband is the only one with a Passport.  Myself and kids just used our birth certificates. We are stopping at Victoria and now need a passport.  We are starting the process for passports for myself, DD 23, and DS 21. My youngest DD turns 16 mid May.  I don't know if I should get her a passport with the others or wait until she turns 16? If I wait then it will be good for 10 years but I am nervous we will not get it in time.  Thanks

34 minutes ago, zjennk said:

We are going on the Ovation to Alaska end of July.  On our past cruises, my husband is the only one with a Passport.  Myself and kids just used our birth certificates. We are stopping at Victoria and now need a passport.  We are starting the process for passports for myself, DD 23, and DS 21. My youngest DD turns 16 mid May.  I don't know if I should get her a passport with the others or wait until she turns 16? If I wait then it will be good for 10 years but I am nervous we will not get it in time.  Thanks

Just a generalized answer:  I don't think it is ever a bad time to get a "Passport", ESPECIALLY, if you are cruising and there is a possibility you will be entering a foreign country.  JMHO

I may be able to offer some advice, since I just renewed my son's passport. He was born abroad so I am always nervous to have him travel with just his birth certificate, in case TSA doesn't think it looks "right." When applying for the new passport this time, we opted for the expedited process, which costs $60 extra, and we received it in about 4 weeks. The state department right now estimates 5-7 weeks for expedited and 8-11 weeks for normal, but ours was ready sooner than that. We also paid for priority mail, which may have helped. Something else to consider is that it looks like passports cost $30 more for over 16 years old. I could see the advantage of wanting to have it be good for 10 years rather than 5 years, but I personally would not wait until after her birthday unless you are willing to pay for the expedited process, and than it becomes an issue of pay now vs. pay later. I would not count on the standard process to get it to you in time, if you wait till May to start it.

My hubs and I applied for our passports (neither of us ever had one before) on Jan 24 without expedited service and we both received them in about 21 days. Most passport posts I have read in the past few months had similar outcomes so even if it takes a little longer, I think you would still get them before you cruise in July.