xSAILEDx Ovation of the Seas - Oct 9, 2022 - Oct 29, 2022 (19 Night Transpacific Cruise)

• AshleyDillo changed the title to Ovation of the Seas - Oct 9, 2022 (19 Night Transpacific Cruise)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, tonipf said:

keeping fingers crossed that its a go

It all looks very positive and we are getting excited. We are flying in early, spending a week in Honolulu, so looking at what to do. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, 

We are doing the Alaska - Hawaii - Transpacific.

Like many folks, the Transpacific itinerary is a bucket list trip for us and we could never get time away from work but now that we are retired, that is no longer an issue.

We were originally going to do this in 2019 but skidded it out to 2020 then as we all know, the world stopped for a while. Anyway,...here we are and counting down the days. 

We will be flying into Seattle couple of days early from the UK. 

We will also be spending a couple of days in Sydney before flying to Melbourne to spend some time there to catch up with friends. 

This will be our third visit to Australia and we very much look forward to it. 

4 hours ago, ronpes said:

We are doing the Alaska - Hawaii - Transpacific.

That is a fantastic itinerary. It is something we always wish to do, but we were told that due the PSVA as Australian's we are not allowed to sail from a US port to a US port without an international stop. Maybe things have changed and we are now allowed. I will start looking into this.   

Enjoy this amazing run of cruises

We are spending some pre-cruise time in Hawaii and assuming ther cruise protocols do not change, we will need to take a covid test within a couple days prior to boarding. Any suggests on how we should get this done? We are Australian so unsure if we can buy the e-Med proctored tests online and have them shipped to our hotel. Wonder if Royal will offer testing at the terminal, but would prefer not to delay boarding.

Any suggestions as to what others are planning and where we should go.

19 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

That is a fantastic itinerary. It is something we always wish to do, but we were told that due the PSVA as Australian's we are not allowed to sail from a US port to a US port without an international stop. Maybe things have changed and we are now allowed. I will start looking into this.   

Enjoy this amazing run of cruises

Hi there. I had previously looked into this and requested confirmation from my Travel Agent in writing that we are ok. 

The comments below were from there response. Good luck.

They are fine as long as they keep all 3 sailings. The first 2 alone break the Jones Act, but with the 3rd one in there they are safe. They just cannot change their mind, or request to disembark at any different time during the sailing.

10 hours ago, CruisingOz said:

We are spending some pre-cruise time in Hawaii and assuming ther cruise protocols do not change, we will need to take a covid test within a couple days prior to boarding. Any suggests on how we should get this done? We are Australian so unsure if we can buy the e-Med proctored tests online and have them shipped to our hotel. Wonder if Royal will offer testing at the terminal, but would prefer not to delay boarding.

Any suggestions as to what others are planning and where we should go.

Sorry I cant help there as we have the same situation in Seattle. As for the the Transpacific leg, we are assuming that (if it is still required) we will get tested etc on the ship as we will be staying on for the next sailing. 

Last month we sailed a Transatlantic on Anthem and when we arrived in Southampton many folks were staying on for the next leg to Norway. Unless I am mistaken, they were told that they did not need to be tested. However, that satisfied the UK rules etc at that time and of course the rules are constantly changing. 

• 2 weeks later...

we are also going to stay a couple days in Hawaii and Sydney can't wait. But we will be staying in Morea 2 days and there is only booking for first day. I called and they are working on it. Also disappointed we are not going to Bora Bora.

This has been in the works since 2019.  I think Royal was hoping they would change their mind.  

https://www.theluxurycruisereview.com/tahiti-ban-large-cruise-ships/

Also in 2019 the municipality of Bora Bora expressed concerns about the size of visiting cruise ships. After discussions with the municipality, now only 1,200 cruise passengers per day can visit.   Tahiti Tourisme have told us it shows a desire to preserve the beauty of its lagoon as well as the quality of service for which Bora Bora has become famous.

Moreover, the updated industry rules will now only permit voyages to commence or conclude in Tahiti if a vessel carries fewer than 2,501 guests. Larger vessels up to 3,500 guests can cruise French Polynesia, but not turnaround. However, cruise ships with more than 3,500 passengers will not be welcome. A statement from Tahiti Tourisme said: “they are not suited for our destination”.

We like Moorea a lot more than Bora Bora, but we have visited there so can understand the disappointment. We were looking forward to doing a helmet dive  in Bora Bora which has been one of the best helmet dive experiences compared to other countries. I hope we get two full days in Moorea.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, we have now made a start. Yesterday, the cases were retrieved and the luggage labels removed from our last trip. 

Some of the vacation clothes are back in the laundry basket for a quick wash and spin before an iron and we will slowly set things out in the spare bedroom. 

We also plan on going into town this week for a few things that we added to a list from our last cruise. 

I also plan very soon to apply for the necessary visas etc. 

I have a folder in my computer for all travel documents, hotels bookings, flight and vaccination details etc so I will also start to print this all off and put it into a travel folder that I always take with me. 

• 3 weeks later...

A good place to get a test in Hawaii is at the CVS.  You can book an  appointment online to set it up.  The other good option is to buy a proctored test that you can do in your hotel room.  

Anyone else hear that a not only is a vax required for French Polynesia, but also a booster if your vax is older than 9 months?  Their website is really confusing.  In one sentence they say "Travelers no longer have to complete any health formality before their arrival in The Islands of Tahiti, in France or overseas, and the presentation of the health pass/proof of full vaccination schedule is no longer required, whatever the country or area of origin;".  But on the graphic it says the booster is still required. This does not make me happy.  

• AshleyDillo changed the title to Ovation of the Seas - Oct 9, 2022 - Oct 29, 2022 (19 Night Transpacific Cruise)

A good place to get a test in Hawaii is at the CVS.  You can book an  appointment online to set it up.  The other good option is to buy a proctored test that you can do in your hotel room.  

Anyone else hear that a not only is a vax required for French Polynesia, but also a booster if your vax is older than 9 months?  Their website is really confusing.  In one sentence they say "Travelers no longer have to complete any health formality before their arrival in The Islands of Tahiti, in France or overseas, and the presentation of the health pass/proof of full vaccination schedule is no longer required, whatever the country or area of origin;".  But on the graphic it says the booster is still required. This does not make me happy.  

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are looking forwards to the Honolulu - Fr Polynesia - New Zealand - Sydney leg of our b2b from Vancouver BC.  On sea days, I'll be frequenting the flowrider. Have activities booked for Fr. Polynesia but still working on the 3 ports in NZ.  Any inputs on what you are planning for our NZ ports of Napier, Wellington and Picton?

Mahalo!

On 9/27/2022 at 2:54 PM, wavejumper said:

Any inputs on what you are planning for our NZ ports of Napier, Wellington and Picton?

We are going to explore the town. In Wellington, will most liely take the cable care up to the mountain top and walk down through the botanical gardens. A walk along the foreshore. They have a great museum, Te Papa, and also and excellent war museum. Picton is a nice little town, the Edwin Fox museum is nice and far cheaper to just rock up as through the ship is over three times the price.    

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to xSAILEDx Ovation of the Seas - Oct 9, 2022 - Oct 29, 2022 (19 Night Transpacific Cruise)