First time in Royal

Hi everyone!!

We are very excited to go on our first Royal cruise. We are so looking forward to go and have a Perfect Day at Coco.

My question is, there's 3 of us, our trip is 8 day. To have the the Refreshment package is almost 600 dls extra. Is is really worth it?

Is only me and my 2 girls, 9 and 13, and I don't really drink alcohol. Can we survive without the package or donwe really need it?

Thanks for your advice 😊

We can easily get away without purchasing a drink package. Keep in mind that you are allowed to bring on 12 sodas (I think they can't be more than 16 oz. each) or what ever kind of none alcoholic drink you want. We have purchased the drink package before. The soda dispensers do have a wide variety. Sodas, gatorade type drinks, waters etc. We enjoy the flavored water (vitality water?) Regular coffee, tea, and juices are included.

I think it is what works for each individual person but if alcohol is not a concern, and with the sodas I bring with us, we are ok for the week with just paying for an occasional mocktail or drink.

27 minutes ago, Jotorrij said:

Without the package,  what kind of drinks are included during breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Tap water, regular and decaf coffee, hot chocolate from packets, hot tea, milk and chocolate milk, unsweetened iced tea, flavored waters. At breakfast there is also apple, orange and tomato juice available.

3 hours ago, Jotorrij said:

Hi everyone!!

We are very excited to go on our first Royal cruise. We are so looking forward to go and have a Perfect Day at Coco.

My question is, there's 3 of us, our trip is 8 day. To have the the Refreshment package is almost 600 dls extra. Is is really worth it?

Is only me and my 2 girls, 9 and 13, and I don't really drink alcohol. Can we survive without the package or donwe really need it?

Thanks for your advice 😊

Unless you are big soda drinkers, you can easily survive.  You can always purchase soda as you want it.  As others have posted above, there are plenty of free drinks available.

3 hours ago, Jotorrij said:

Without the package,  what kind of drinks are included during breakfast, lunch and dinner?

In the Windjammer they always have some type of juice, usually lemonade, apple and fruit punch on ours. In the dining room it varies. For breakfast in the dining room you can usually get orange and tomato, sometimes cranberry. Also if you bring a reusable water bottle you can fill it with whatever, you just have to use the cups they provide and fill it from that. They don't want a reusable bottle touching the drink dispenser for sanitary reasons. It's a bit of a nuisance but cheaper than buying bottled water for excursions.

If you are cruising on a ship that has a Johnny Rocket's and if you or any member of your party are Milk Shake fans, Milk Shakes are covered by the "Refreshment Package", at least they used to be.  Otherwise, you will be paying for the shakes.  That's a big deal to some of us.  We also like fresh squeezed OJ and the upscale/premium coffee.  But, it's up to you.

REFRESHMENT PACKAGE 

Start your morning off with a cup of premium coffee or tea and freshly-squeezed juice. Stay hydrated for onboard thrills with water or favorite fountain sodas to fill your Coca-Cola® souvenir cup. And refuel for evening adventure with non-alcoholic cocktails. Onboard pricing is currently $29.00 - $38.00/per day for 2021-2022 sailings.

• Fountain soda and refills at any venue
  • Coca-Cola Freestyle beverages*
  • Coca-Cola souvenir cup
  • Non-alcoholic cocktails (mocktails)
  • Still and sparkling water
  • Premium coffees and teas
  • Fresh-squeezed juices

1 hour ago, Lynnea said:

We’re three on an 8 day cruise as well (13yo daughter). I got her the refreshment package because I have a feeling she will want to go off and make friends and would appreciate easily getting a drink, smoothie or whatever. Which one are you on? We’re June 5th on Mariner on the Seas. 🙂

We are going on Allure, June 11th

Our 12 and 14 year old love going to the bar all independent like and flash their sea card to order fancy mock-tails. They also love smoothies and shakes and the like. My hubs and I are premium coffee drinkers and we are both diet cokaholics so the refreshment package for us is very valuable, and since it is way less expensive than the Ultimate Drink Package, we opt for it because we know we'll get our money's worth without having a shocking bill at the end of the cruise. We set up a daily "allowance" before we leave so that if we really want an adult beverage here and there, we have one and it's covered. We aren't big drinkers and since we can bring a couple bottles of wine on board, that helps too.  

When we ported in Orlando last week (first port from NJ) I saw 3 people in front of me carry on water bottles in plastic bags.  It looked like they each had 6 in a bag.  Security did not confiscate it.  I was surprised.  If you attempt it be aware it can be taken from you as I do believe it is only permissible to carry on at your original point of embarkation.

Every cruise, I debate getting a drink package, and every cruise, I decide against it. If my kids (or I) want a few drinks here and there on the cruise, I'm happy to let them and just pay for those a la carte (plus we're bringing our Pur filter pitcher and some sodas on board). I honestly don't want my kids to have unlimited access to sweet drinks - even on vacation - and prefer to drink filtered, free water as much as possible. Also think about how many days you'll be in port and not able to use the package (we'll be off the ship for 3 of our 6 days and have an AI one of those days). Our tabs at the end of our cruises have never even come close to what we would have spent on the drink package. But that's us - no judgement for families who choose differently! Just maybe a few more factors to consider...