Ovation position in Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier

CFL

I've read here on the boards that the ship does a 180 degree turn, but is that just the ship turning around to leave? Or does it turn 90 degrees in both directions so both port and starboard sides have a viewing opportunity? My elderly parents will most like stay on their balcony which is why I'm asking. If only one side has a viewing, I will make sure to take the time to ensure they get on an upper deck for viewing.

8 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

On my cruise, the ship spent at least an hour making continuous slow 360s, with a couple of breaks keeping station.

Which ship were you on? I've read the smaller ships take more time there and do a 360, but the larger ships like Ovation are in and out pretty quickly and only do a 180. 

For my visit on Ovation the ship did a 180° turn to starboard and then returned down Endicott Arm.  Here is a time lapse.

This was Ovation's first ever visit to Dawes Glacier in 2019 so I don't know if they have modified the visit now that she has visited many more times.  

Here is some additional video footage of the experience:

51 minutes ago, twangster said:

For my visit on Ovation the ship did a 180° turn to starboard and then returned down Endicott Arm.  Here is a time lapse.

Stunning video! So it looks like my parents will have an excellent view from their port side stateroom, since the ship turns toward starboard to return (assuming they still do it this way). Thank you for sharing the videos.

Thank you, twangster for this video, deciding if I really needed my camera or just use my phone, seeing this video I know I need my camera with lots of GB's, also binoculars.

I dont have a balcony (virtual), guess I will spend time either 270 or solarium or if its beautiful day like you had, outside somewhere.

3 hours ago, Jonathan kantor said:

Looking for info on viewing this and going through inside passage from those who have been on Ovation. Is it better to watch from your balcony or on deck or from 270? 

It's better to be mobile and take in Endicott Arm from many different areas of the ship.  Stop in and rest for a few minutes on a balcony if you have one, but you will miss something if you plant yourself in any one spot on the ship for more than a few minutes.  Get to a lower outside deck and see the bergy bits of chunks of ice that calved off the glacier recently floating by the ship then pop into Two70 for a few minutes, then pop into the Solarium for a spell, then...

I think anyone who parks themselves on their balcony will see a lot and enjoy it, but they will be missing things you can only experience by moving around the ship and seeing it from different perspectives.   

11 hours ago, twangster said:

It's better to be mobile and take in Endicott Arm from many different areas of the ship.  Stop in and rest for a few minutes on a balcony if you have one, but you will miss something if you plant yourself in any one spot on the ship for more than a few minutes.  Get to a lower outside deck and see the bergy bits of chunks of ice that calved off the glacier recently floating by the ship then pop into Two70 for a few minutes, then pop into the Solarium for a spell, then...

I think anyone who parks themselves on their balcony will see a lot and enjoy it, but they will be missing things you can only experience by moving around the ship and seeing it from different perspectives.   

Yup. I definitely roamed all over the ship while we were at the glacier on Ovation. Definitely saw different things from different angles in every location.