Genies arranging parties

Lexster

18 minutes ago, Lexster said:

I've seen mentions of Genies being able to arrange parties and I was curious, is this parties with people the guests know or, like...random people invited? If a couple, say, wanted to have a party, would the Genie find people to attend it or something?

I guess you can ask your Genie to find randos but it is primarily other guest, that those staying in the suite, know. 

25 minutes ago, Lexster said:

I've seen mentions of Genies being able to arrange parties and I was curious, is this parties with people the guests know or, like...random people invited? If a couple, say, wanted to have a party, would the Genie find people to attend it or something?

A Genie will try to do whatever you request.  There are some restrictions, however.  For example:  Every guest to the party that wants to drink, if they aren't Star Class, they must purchase all alcohol.  For those that don't drink alcohol, aren't Star Class, and don't have the Coke/beverage package, they'd have to purchase their non-alcohol drinks.  I've also heard (don't know how true it is) that because of the fact that Star Class get's their drinks, alcohol or non-alcohol, at no extra charge, the Genie may not want to invite non-Star Class cruisers to a Star Class party.  

I have had many parties in suites over the years while Star Class.  Most of them involved CC cabin crawls so these were people who were non- SC guests and virtual strangers to us.  The Genie arranged food to be brought in (primarily meat platters and “finger desserts” from Giovanni’s/Jamie’s) and all non-alcoholic beverages were provided at no additional cost.  I simply told the beverage steward what I wanted and how much, and it was all delivered. We would generally purchase a couple of bottles of wine and sparkling wine.  Beer was also complimentary; we never had any problems getting whatever we wanted. I recall one of the larger crawls (I think we had over 50 participants for that one) and our out-of-pocket for wine was less than $80.  It’s true that if you want liquor, that changes everything.  That triggers per person charges and in the end, we just skipped the liquor and stuck with soft drinks, beer and wine.  They were always very successful and fun events.  Room service will bring plates, glasses, napkins….everything you will need.  They come and set everything up and come back and take it all away.

We have also hosted parties where the guests were friends who were cruising with us and some friends made onboard.  Same set-up. Same results.

Having said all of that, I have read, recently, that the Genies aren’t as willing to arrange big [complimentary] events as they once were.  I haven’t had a big blow-out in a few years.  If that’s true (and I have no reason to doubt it) my recommendation would be to just treat it as a spontaneous “small event” rather than making a big deal about it.  IOW, instead of advising the Genie ahead of time (which is something we always did with the cabin crawls), just kinda spring it on them and downplay it as if it’s not really a party…just a little spontaneous get-together.  My guess (and that’s all it is) is that “management” saw these “organized” events as an opportunity to generate a little cash flow by charging for something that previously had been complimentary.  Just a guess…

Remember to tip the room service and beverage people.  This kind of event is a lot of work….which is why I kinda quit doing them !

I have been invited to a few of parties in the big suites.  I am nobody and book the most cost-effective cabin.  I have been invited because I run Slot Pulls, Cabin Crawls and Poker Pub Crawls for people on the Cruise Critic or Facebook groups for our cruise.  Most of the time it is people rewarding me for my extra work or they are wanting to know more about the person that has done something for them.  Join your Cruise Critic and/or Facebook groups for your cruise.  You will see people that you want to meet them in person.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have had many parties in suites over the years while Star Class.  Most of them involved CC cabin crawls so these were people who were non- SC guests and virtual strangers to us.  The Genie arranged food to be brought in (primarily meat platters and “finger desserts” from Giovanni’s/Jamie’s) and all non-alcoholic beverages were provided at no additional cost.  I simply told the beverage steward what I wanted and how much, and it was all delivered. We would generally purchase a couple of bottles of wine and sparkling wine.  Beer was also complimentary; we never had any problems getting whatever we wanted. I recall one of the larger crawls (I think we had over 50 participants for that one) and our out-of-pocket for wine was less than $80.  It’s true that if you want liquor, that changes everything.  That triggers per person charges and in the end, we just skipped the liquor and stuck with soft drinks, beer and wine.  They were always very successful and fun events.  Room service will bring plates, glasses, napkins….everything you will need.  They come and set everything up and come back and take it all away.

We have also hosted parties that where the guests were friends who were cruising with us and some friends made onboard.  Same set-up. Same results.

Having said all of that, I have read, recently, that the Genies aren’t as willing to arrange big [complimentary] events as they once were.  I haven’t had a big blow-out in a few years.  If that’s true (and I have no reason to doubt it) my recommendation would be to just treat it as a spontaneous “small event” rather than making a big deal about it.  IOW, instead of advising the Genie ahead of time (which is something we always did with the cabin crawls), just kinda spring it on them and downplay it as if it’s not really a party…just a little spontaneous get-together.  My guess (and that’s all it is) is that “management” saw these “organized” events as an opportunity to generate a little cash flow by charging for something that previously had been complimentary.  Just a guess…

Remember to tip the room service and beverage people.  This kind of event is a lot of work….which is why I kinda quit doing them !

Yep, every situation/Genie/Food Service Manager/request/and the way something is asked for/etc etc is different.  We've never held a party or a cabin crawl.  So, I don't have any personal experience with it.  But, I've heard/read the good, bad, and ugly of it.

Most definitely, tip often and generously.  Most of the crews, the ones below management, supervisor, entertainment level come from very depressed 3rd world countries.  They're just trying to make some money to send home and support their extended families and not breaking any laws while doing it.