Drink package Question

mikeMTL

Hi Im going on a 4 night cruise on mariner of the seas and thinking about getting the drink package. Seeing as how we board Monday and disembark Friday morning, will I be charged for the Friday even though it can't be used then? Has anyone called RCL to inquire?

51 minutes ago, mikeMTL said:

Hi Im going on a 4 night cruise on mariner of the seas and thinking about getting the drink package. Seeing as how we board Monday and disembark Friday morning, will I be charged for the Friday even though it can't be used then? Has anyone called RCL to inquire?

You'll be on board for less than 4 days, so the 4 daily charges cover your whole trip.  If you put the drink package in your cart, you'll see the daily charge times 4 (plus tax and gratuity) before you check out.  They won't add another day later.

While the package with alcohol includes disembarkation morning (Friday for your trip), you should realize that won't actually include many alcohol options.  The bars will stay open as late as normal Thursday night/early Friday morning which could be midnight, 1AM, 2AM, or ??? depending on the ship, the location, and whether there are actually any customers.  But the bars won't reopen during disembarkation.  Again, depending on the ship, you could get mimosas, bloody marys, and some other options in the windjammer or main dining room with breakfast.  Of course, the non-alcoholic options like speciality coffees and bottled water will be available with either version of the package.

This is really where people need to do some math and not impulse buy the Ultimate Drink Package. Take into consideration anytime you are off the ship also and will you be able to make up for it that day. It has been understood that you are talking around 5 to 6 drinks at around $13/each to make it profitable to you. If someone is a straight beer drinker, that means more to make up for it. Just take your time figuring this out and look at some of the online drink menus to get prices and such and see if it will be worth it.

17 hours ago, Mr. Green said:

This is really where people need to do some math and not impulse buy the Ultimate Drink Package. Take into consideration anytime you are off the ship also and will you be able to make up for it that day. It has been understood that you are talking around 5 to 6 drinks at around $13/each to make it profitable to you. If someone is a straight beer drinker, that means more to make up for it. Just take your time figuring this out and look at some of the online drink menus to get prices and such and see if it will be worth it.

Absolutely.  But you also have to consider whether you would use the non-alcohol options.  If you regularly drink smoothies, specialty coffees, sodas, and/or bottled water, you might only need 2 alcoholic drinks a day to "break even" on the UDP.  If you like wine with your dinner, you also might never have to visit a bar.  There's also people that prefer having no bills after a trip and therefore prepaying a package is better even if they don't quite break even.

3 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Absolutely.  But you also have to consider whether you would use the non-alcohol options.  If you regularly drink smoothies, specialty coffees, sodas, and/or bottled water, you might only need 2 alcoholic drinks a day to "break even" on the UDP.  If you like wine with your dinner, you also might never have to visit a bar.  There's also people that prefer having no bills after a trip and therefore prepaying a package is better even if they don't quite break even.

This is good logic and exactly the logic we used after buying the UDP then realizing we had enjoyed more mock-tails than high test because we had our young kids with us. The cure, we think, is to just get the refreshment package and just Ala carting adult beverages. You get most everything but the alcohol with it and its much less expensive. However, we will always seriously consider the UDP when sailing sans kids because I am in the "prepaying a package is better" camp AND we will be free to day drink. Can't wait for August! 

An unrelated drink package question....

Does anyone know whether the Diamond Plus, 30% on ship discount can be used pre-cruise (through cruise planner or calling C&A?

Does anyone know whether that discount stacks with other promotions ie.  on ship frequently offers buy one, get on 50%?  Could a D+ 30% be also used?

21 minutes ago, Peter D said:

Do you know if it can be stacked with other on-ship offers?  For example, the ship will frequently offer the buy one, get 50%. so on ship price is $88 (1st) and $44 (2nd).  Can you get 30% off that deal in addition? 

I don't believe that you can since you're the only one entitled to the 30% discount and you can only use it on a single package.  I have never tried it so maybe others will have experience to shine some light.

6 minutes ago, Hsimbeck said:

Random thought, but on this topic. I have already purchased the Deluxe Beverage Package.  Do I need to purchase the cafe Select Coffee card?  Or is are they included with my Deluxe package?(this is for a non Starbucks)

GOOD NEWS !!  All specialty coffee is included in the DBP.  You're good-to-go.