30 Days To Go....Any Advice??

So, we have 30 days to go for our 1st B2B on Symphony. I am super stressed about the test prior to sailing. Does anyone have any suggestions for 'Pre-Month' behavior....Hibernation? Quadruple masking? Social Distancing from my husband? What?? Hope this is not a weird question but I have learned so many valuable things from this forum.

The two weeks prior to our cruise in Feb. we started pulling back from public things. We homeschool anyway, but we went back to grocery pickup, kids didn't have any extra curricular activities the first week and we masked the week before the cruise at our co-op, scouts, etc. DH masked at work when he had to go in and worked from home when he could.

These days, you cannot really predict what is going to happen.  I can only speak for myself, but as I led up to the most recent cruise in March, I just lived my life, business as usual.  Follow reasonable precautions, ie frequent hand washing, minimize huge crowds where prudent.  I didn't worry about the pretesting, because I cannot really do much about it.  You can hibernate for 30 days, and still test positive.

I just got off the Symphony and it is a great ship.  Try not worry about it and have fun.

7 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

The two weeks prior to our cruise in Feb. we started pulling back from public things. We homeschool anyway, but we went back to grocery pickup, kids didn't have any extra curricular activities the first week and we masked the week before the cruise at our co-op, scouts, etc. DH masked at work when he had to go in and worked from home when he could.

Sounds like reasonable precautions!!

6 minutes ago, Peter D said:

These days, you cannot really predict what is going to happen.  I can only speak for myself, but as I led up to the most recent cruise in March, I just lived my life, business as usual.  Follow reasonable precautions, ie frequent hand washing, minimize huge crowds where prudent.  I didn't worry about the pretesting, because I cannot really do much about it.  You can hibernate for 30 days, and still test positive.

I just got off the Symphony and it is a great ship.  Try not worry about it and have fun.

These too, sound like reasonable precautions. I know I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing but honestly, I've been waiting to darn long for this cruise and am hoping nothing goes wrong at the last minute!! Thanks...

My wife and I did a home pre test Covid test (courtesy of the us govt) before the Binax proctored one so we wouldn’t be blindsided if we had an asymptomatic positive when we did the real one. It made the proctored one a lot less stressful knowing we had already tested negative prior to.

10 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

My wife and I did a home pre test Covid test (courtesy of the us govt) before the Binax proctored one so we wouldn’t be blindsided if we had an asymptomatic positive when we did the real one. It made the proctored one a lot less stressful knowing we had already tested negative prior to.

I thought about this as well.....I have some of those gov't tests kicking around. May try this. Thanks.

We will be acting precruise the same way we do in the two weeks before we see our adult immune suppressed daughter: N95 mask, well fitted, anytime we are indoors in public spaces, no parties, no indoor restaurants. We still get together with very close friends and family, people we can trust to be honest with us about their level of exposure, and who will happily test before spending indoor time with us.

This is more extreme than most would advise, especially with low community spread right now. But in terms of peace of mind going into a COVID test, it works. For us, it’s about not being the ones to kill our child, so doesn’t seem overly taxing. 

2 hours ago, GatorCruiser said:

I'm sure that would technically invalidate your results on the proctored test. Not saying one shouldn't do it, but be wary of advertising the fact.

This is just my opinion, your milage may vary.  It only takes a brief contact to contract the COVID virus.  So, any contact with someone that has COVID could cause you to have/be carrying the COVID virus.  So, wearing a masks when you go out or in route to the terminal won't help, unless you are wearing the N95, I think it's called.  The cloth mask offers no protection at all.  The mesh of a cloth mask is much bigger than the virus.  Basically the same for paper masks.  

What am I trying to say?  Don't sweat it.  Just do what YOU think is right, for you, but I wouldn't stress over it.  If you think wearing a mask helps, go for it.  But, it will be hard to avoid contact with others, especially as you move closer to the embarkation date.  The good news, if cruising closed loop, you can take you pre-test 2 days (which is virtually 3 day) before you embark.  There are more things working for you rather than against you, especially if you are already healthy.  I'm 70, in great health.  I've been stuck 3 times and I've had COVID, I haven't had a mask on since I had COVID.  My COVID was like a very mild cold.  I wouldn't have know I had it if it wasn't for something else going on in my life that I needed the test for.  I'm one of those that believes that my number is in a book somewhere, it can't be changed, and when my number comes up, there's nothing I can do about it.

Again, JMHO.  

1 hour ago, LizzyBee23 said:

They want all of your nose gunk in the vial that's getting tested for COVID. If you just swabbed out your gunk for another test, you might not have as much to give.

Got it...Thanks.

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:

This is just my opinion, your milage may vary.  It only takes a brief contact to contract the COVID virus.  So, any contact with someone that has COVID could cause you to have/be carrying the COVID virus.  So, wearing a masks when you go out or in route to the terminal won't help, unless you are wearing the N95, I think it's called.  The cloth mask offers no protection at all.  The mesh of a cloth mask is much bigger than the virus.  Basically the same for paper masks.  

What am I trying to say?  Don't sweat it.  Just do what YOU think is right, for you, but I wouldn't stress over it.  If you think wearing a mask helps, go for it.  But, it will be hard to avoid contact with others, especially as you move closer to the embarkation date.  The good news, if cruising closed loop, you can take you pre-test 2 days (which is virtually 3 day) before you embark.  There are more things working for you rather than against you, especially if you are already healthy.  I'm 70, in great health.  I've been stuck 3 times and I've had COVID, I haven't had a mask on since I had COVID.  My COVID was like a very mild cold.  I wouldn't have know I had it if it wasn't for something else going on in my life that I needed the test for.  I'm one of those that believes that my number is in a book somewhere, it can't be changed, and when my number comes up, there's nothing I can do about it.

Again, JMHO.  

I do still wear a mask when going out. I have all the floral, sequined, cute paper masks....one for every outfit, but for the last month I have been wearing the KN95s. You make some good points so I will try to relax and just enjoy the ride!!

About 2 weeks prior to both our recent cruises (Freedom and Allure), we did take a step back from the friends circle. Additionally, we made sure to observe social distancing in public, mask up if around those we didnt know, and became obsessive about hand sanitizing. All things others have said, but it does reinforce the idea.

On the covid front, I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying - limit time with folks outside your circle, strong masking when you can't help but be around others, frequent hand washing/sanitizing.

But I also want to just toss in regular wellness tips I've done before any large gathering: at least a week or 2 before I do daily doses of emergen-c on top of my daily vitamins and supplements. Upgrading to an antiseptic mouthwash twice daily. And I carry this through the trip/event.

If I'm traveling, wiping down travel surfaces to my location (when possible - ie airplane armrests, tables and seatbelts or hotel remotes, handles and phones)

What My husband and I are on Wonder on April 8th we live in Chicago which together with the state of Illinois finally some weeks ago dropped all covid restrictions.  However on Tuesday March 22rd we put our masks back on when ever we go out grocery shopping or other things, we stopped dinning in at restaurants if we don't feel like cooking we order and pick up our food to go with our mask on. We stopped having people come over to our house, we've limited our interactions to phone calls or FaceTime with family and friends. The reason we are doing this is because our goal is to pass that test get on Wonder of the Seas on April 8th.  In my opinion this is what I'v been asking for since the beginning of the pandemic.  The government give me the information but let me make my own decision on what mitigation and precautions I want to to take.   When people post on here that they've tested positive and had to cancel their cruise last minute I do feel for them but I also wonder if they took the necessary precautions in the weeks leading up to their cruise to protect themselves to make sure they pass the test.  Learning to live with covid as we are now doing does not mean covid no longer exists and as long as cruise line require pre-cruise testing each person has to make an individual choice leading up to their cruise.  

What I ask myself is this what is more important to me? Not wearing a mask while grocery shopping over the next 2.5 weeks?  Hanging out with friends and family,  dinning out and sitting down inside at a restaurant in this cool dreary Chicago weather?  Or not wearing a mask while cruising stacking up the sun and dinning at Mason's on Wonder of the Seas in the warm waters of the Caribbean?  It a no brainer the Caribbean wins every time so I do what I must to make sure I pass that test.

1. Don't panic.  I will panic for you instead because this stresses me out too! 😁

2. Two (2) weeks of limiting contact might be overkill, but better safe than sorry.  I need to empty out the fridge anyways, so I will do one last grocery trip and start limiting exposure.

3. Wear N95 masks.  I have done so from the very beginning of the pandemic.  I was a essential worker and had to physically appear at work (or appear to work lol) since the beginning.  I got covid that summer...why? One possible answer may be that the restrictions started easing and I stopped wearing a mask.  I am not here to debate masks.  I will say this, covid or no covid, I don't want anyone sneezing or coughing on me if they are sick, and I wouldn't want to do that to you.  But shit happens.  Wearing a mask may help.

4. Limit your childrens' outside exposure.  Kids, even mine (I am super OCD), are just cesspools of nastiness.

5. Look up the FAQ section on Royal's website.  There is a nice illustration for when you can test.  

6. If you are flying into port city, don't test after getting off of the plane.  Really.  Being trapped inside a metal cylindrical tube for hour(s) with recirculating air and all walks of people...why chance it?  Test an hour before getting to the airport.  Take the negative result.

7. Have a contingency plan.  This is something many people don't talk about.  Write down the numbers and contact info for your airline, TA, Royal, etc.  If you test positive, you will be in an emotional state, regardless of the level.  Have numbers ready to cancel plans and get refunds.  Why get upset after testing positive and get even more upset that you can't find the number for the airline, etc.? Another aspect of a contingency plan is talk to your family about whether this would be a all in or all out scenario.  If I test positive, my spouse and kids know that they are to go without me and enjoy.  If my spouse tests positive, the kids and I stay home too.  Our upcoming cruise is mainly for my spouse for her enduring tax season as a CPA.  I am okay with staying home if my spouse cannot go.

As flying from Europe to Wonder of the Seas b2b next month, we were really nervous about the testing in Europe and also in the US… ”Luckily” we caught covid (only three weeks before departure! 🙊) and now we don’t have testing problems, just need a proof of recovery.
We were also trying to be extremely careful with who we met, wore masks etc., but still got it. So I guess you can do only so much. 😔

12 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

They want all of your nose gunk in the vial that's getting tested for COVID. If you just swabbed out your gunk for another test, you might not have as much to give.

I was thinking of doing the same thing that was mentioned.  BUT, on the day that I do the official pre-test, I'd do the pre-pre-test an hour or so before the pre-test.  And I'd make sure that I didn't change my environment between the two tests (in other words, I wouldn't leave my home or invite anyone in, keep everything exactly like it was).    

ALSO, and I'm not trying to advocate purposely cheat the system.  But, a healthcare worker that does the swabbing told me that if you had COVID you could come up positive for about 90 days after your infection.  She suggested that just before you do a test, again if you had COVID within 90 days of the infection or the end of the infection, rinse out your nose with a saline solution.  

2 hours ago, Cruiser4 said:

As flying from Europe to Wonder of the Seas b2b next month, we were really nervous about the testing in Europe and also in the US… ”Luckily” we caught covid (only three weeks before departure! 🙊) and now we don’t have testing problems, just need a proof of recovery.
We were also trying to be extremely careful with who we met, wore masks etc., but still got it. So I guess you can do only so much. 😔

Yes, I believe you will have to be tested, complementarily, by Royal on the day of embarkation.  So, yes, limit your exposer as much as possible and get the "good" N95/KN95, whatever.  Not cloth masks or paper (surgical mask) masks.  Maybe even some saline solution just before the Royal test, just before you leave the hotel and use unused "good" masks on the way to the cruise terminal.  

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Great news !  We are booked on this cruise, too !!

The bad news is...we will have to cancel since they are still requiring vax and testing.

Too bad...I would have loved to meet you both.

Hopefully, soon !

Oh know I would have love to meet you... I think as more people in Caribbean are vaccinated the testing requirement may go away maybe this fall but I don't know when the vaccine requirement will go away perhaps in 2023.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 11:00 PM, SpicyCherry said:

Thank you everyone....This is like a buffet. I'm gonna try a little bit of everything!! Never heard of the saline thing....I'll have some standing by just in case.

So folks, at 12:15am this morning we took our Emed Home Test in preparation for our 4/30 sailing on Symphony. NEGATIVE!!! WOO-HOO🎉🎉🎉 And yes, we used the saline prior. The test was extremely easy and quick just like everyone says it was. I’m so glad it’s over. Just got to Miami and ready for cruising!!

14 minutes ago, SpicyCherry said:

So folks, at 12:15am this morning we took our Emed Home Test in preparation for our 4/30 sailing on Symphony. NEGATIVE!!! WOO-HOO🎉🎉🎉 And yes, we used the saline prior. The test was extremely easy and quick just like everyone says it was. I’m so glad it’s over. Just got to Miami and ready for cruising!!

So HAPPY for YOU! You give us hope!

Have fun!

We have tried to limit ourselves in the past in the weeks leading up to a cruise.  However, we are BIG theme park junkies and just couldn't stay away.  Went to the parks, carried about our daily lives, and we tested negative. Of course I was a wreck up to that point.  Fully vaxed and I have had covid 3 times already, so I'm not sure if my immunity is good now or what.

8 hours ago, FF86 said:

We have tried to limit ourselves in the past in the weeks leading up to a cruise.  However, we are BIG theme park junkies and just couldn't stay away.  Went to the parks, carried about our daily lives, and we tested negative. Of course I was a wreck up to that point.  Fully vaxed and I have had covid 3 times already, so I'm not sure if my immunity is good now or what.

I was a complete wreck all day yesterday….could hardly eat and had to have a few stiff drinks🍸🍸, and I  do mean a few, to calm my nerves. My hands were  literally shaking as I tried to open up the test!! Man, I’m glad that’s over!!😮💨

14 minutes ago, Mike n Ky said:

Hope you enjoy the Symphony as much as we have. Only advice is don't do the Abyss...it's boring and I got stuck and had to work to get to the bottom.

Oh don’t worry. We don’t have any plans to even go there….I’d be the one to get stuck too. Who needs that!!

12 hours ago, SpicyCherry said:

I was a complete wreck all day yesterday….could hardly eat and had to have a few stiff drinks🍸🍸, and I  do mean a few, to calm my nerves. My hands were  literally shaking as I tried to open up the test!! Man, I’m glad that’s over!!😮💨

So glad it worked out! Yes, it is nerve-wracking. Going through the same thing as we are 15 days out.