Finally: CDC Drops Cruise Travel Health Notice

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I think it definitely opens the door to changes. You can't say "well there's no concerns over cruising" and also  say "well here's all the crazy stuff you have to do to cruise"

The CDC does still mention being up to date with vaccinations in its statement.

15 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

The CDC does still mention being up to date with vaccinations in its statement.

Right, but if there's no concerns for cruising, why do I/cruise lines need to test to get on, for some test to get off, have rooms available to quarantine, make crew wear masks, make new crew members quarantine etc, etc.

21 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Right, but if there's no concerns for cruising, why do I/cruise lines need to test to get on, for some test to get off, have rooms available to quarantine, make crew wear masks, make new crew members quarantine etc, etc.

I don't know.......I don't work for the CDC or the cruise lines lol

Maybe they are saying there is no risk because of the protocols? Who knows what the CDCs thought process is.

10 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I don't know.......I don't work for the CDC or the cruise lines lol

Maybe they are saying there is no risk because of the protocols? Who knows what the CDCs thought process is.

Not sure they even have a process, feels like they make it up as they go along.

One of the reasons the CDC dropped the notice for cruising is because of all the precautions the ships were taking. Because of Royal's strict policies, this is why the positive cases have been greatly diminished. I feel that if they go back to normal procedures, like pre-covid, we will be back to a high positive rate, which will enact more restrictions by the CDC again. I personally would rather have a couple, than all, back in place.

24 minutes ago, Ja-sun said:

One of the reasons the CDC dropped the notice for cruising is because of all the precautions the ships were taking. Because of Royal's strict policies, this is why the positive cases have been greatly diminished. I feel that if they go back to normal procedures, like pre-covid, we will be back to a high positive rate, which will enact more restrictions by the CDC again. I personally would rather have a couple, than all, back in place.

Cruise lines were following even more strict protocols back when Cruising was a Level 4 danger.

I would rather follow a few then go back to the way they were. According to the news, it seems Covid is still pretty active around the world, and people travel for these cruises. If things get too lenient, then the amount of positive cases, on the cruises, will go back up. Prompting the CDC to raise the levels again.

Honest question non political or to start any skirmishes,....

At what point do we just rip the band aid off and go on with our lives and our health as we individually see fit, without the protocols.

This is the only industry held to these standards, none apply for hotels, or going down the road of Disney(where you can go into all theme parks back to back, during the course of a week and not be subjected to the processes as a cruise).

I feel fully comfortable going out into public knowing that individuals I may be around in a restaurant or at a game or show might not be vaccinated or maybe symptomatic/asymptomatic. I would feel the same way on a cruise if the opened it up wide open. 100% pre March of 2020.

Just my thoughts.

I like the analogy @Matt used on his livestream that getting rid of the protocols is like saying ‘hey our team is in first place, we should get rid of our best players, we don’t need them’. I don’t like the testing either but it is what has made cruising able to happen and keep numbers low.

25 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I like the analogy @Matt used on his livestream that getting rid of the protocols is like saying ‘hey our team is in first place, we should get rid of our best players, we don’t need them’. I don’t like the testing either but it is what has made cruising able to happen and keep numbers low.

Thanks.

I just don't see the cruise lines getting rid of vaccine or testing requirements. It has worked so well, even during Omicron's peak. That's a safety net I don't see the cruise lines giving up.

Not to mention not one cruise line has even hinted at dropping these requirements. 

I love the CDC dropping the warning. Should have been done months ago, but proof is in the pudding with the lack of cases.

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

It’s a bad analogy…that would fit better if saying they getting rid of vaccine requirements all together. The pre-cruise test for vaccinated individuals needs to go…it’s more like sending down your top prospect to get more AB to be better. 

43 minutes ago, Matt said:

Thanks.

I just don't see the cruise lines getting rid of vaccine or testing requirements. It has worked so well, even during Omicron's peak. That's a safety net I don't see the cruise lines giving up.

Not to mention not one cruise line has even hinted at dropping these requirements. 

I love the CDC dropping the warning. Should have been done months ago, but proof is in the pudding with the lack of cases.

When looking  at ship status on the CDC web page there are still cases being detected across all lines. I personally just feel a little safer getting on SOS nest month if they keep the current requirements..

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

9 minutes ago, Leroyr55 said:

When looking  at ship status on the CDC web page there are still cases being detected across all lines. I personally just feel a little safer getting on SOS nest month if they keep the current requirements..

If you tested everyone who got on an airplane you would find positive cases and they don’t require any pre-flight covid test. Yes, I know they still require masks but that’s more on the unions than the airlines themselves. Disney is wide open no masks and yet no required negative test. 

9 minutes ago, Leroyr55 said:

12 minutes ago, Leroyr55 said:

The problem with that ship status is they don't tell you how long it's been in that color. For all we know a Yellow ship may have had cases 6 weeks ago and none since.

I don't disagree with @Matt in what has worked in the past might continue to work, but if those players are at the end of their prime and new and upcoming player are ready to fill that roll(pre-March 2020) what gives. 

Lets look at it from a numbers based approach of roughly

79,800,000 cases of Covid in the US, say 25,000,000 were before the shots gives us 50,000,000 after

255,362,450 Fully vaccinated or 76.9% of the US 

332,400,000 US citizens 

305,362,450 vaccinated/natural immunity or 91% protected to some degree

and of those 91% how many that aren't in that category are cruising or would cruise.

(all Numbers are rounded roughly from the CDC website FWIW)

I fully understand this only takes into account the US and there are great number of awesome Cruisers from outside the US and other countries are higher or lower then us.

I'm looking for where peoples comfort level is in all of this. I still think at some point the band aid needs to be removed. 

42 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Everyone is different in their risk aversion.

Agreed. I heard a joke the other day that everyone that takes more precautions than you makes you think they are being overly cautious, and everyone that takes less precautions than you is reckless. It's a personal feeling for us all.

43 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

“Return to normal” will be a very gradual process methinks. It won’t be 2019 for some time. 

Couldn't agree more. It will take a long time for certain protocols to completely disappear, as in years.

3 hours ago, Midwest Cruiser said:

I don't disagree with @Matt in what has worked in the past might continue to work, but if those players are at the end of their prime and new and upcoming player are ready to fill that roll(pre-March 2020) what gives. 

Lets look at it from a numbers based approach of roughly

79,800,000 cases of Covid in the US, say 25,000,000 were before the shots gives us 50,000,000 after

255,362,450 Fully vaccinated or 76.9% of the US 

332,400,000 US citizens 

305,362,450 vaccinated/natural immunity or 91% protected to some degree

and of those 91% how many that aren't in that category are cruising or would cruise.

(all Numbers are rounded roughly from the CDC website FWIW)

I fully understand this only takes into account the US and there are great number of awesome Cruisers from outside the US and other countries are higher or lower then us.

I'm looking for where peoples comfort level is in all of this. I still think at some point the band aid needs to be removed. 

The CDC is just one piece of the puzzle what we all have to keep in mind is cruises from the US all stop at at least one international port. I know a lot of focus has been placed on the CDC and rightfully so.  However as much as we all would like to see the pre-cruise covid test dropped I don't think we will see cruise lines take that step just yet especially out of the US.  I think dropping the required pre-test would only be done when destinations in the Caribbean feel comfortable enough and have enough of their population vaccinated.  Right now more that 50% of Caribbean residents still have not been vaccinated, and most islands still have covid requirements that cruise lines still have to abide by.  It isn't a free for all just yet I think it still going to take time for that pre-cruise test to go away.

You know very well that Royal wants to get back to 100% and pre-covid times, but any little change, and they take them back a step, then that means less people on the ships. Which means less money for Royal. This would eventually be passed down to us someway, somehow. I think it's smart for them to err on the side of caution for now. Until the numbers go down.

I hear what you are saying, but technically the numbers are down. The question becomes how long does society continue to kvetch over case counts. To me once there is a decoupling of case counts from severe disease, hospitalization, and deaths, then as a society we move on. Heretofore, increasing case counts has predicted an inevitable increase in hospitalizations and deaths. Once this cycle is broken through immunity, it becomes a much more benign and less worrisome disease and the majority of society moves on

15 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

The CDC is just one piece of the puzzle what we all have to keep in mind is cruises from the US all stop at at least one international port. I know a lot of focus has been placed on the CDC and rightfully so.  However as much as we all would like to see the pre-cruise covid test dropped I don't think we will see cruise lines take that step just yet especially out of the US.  I think dropping the required pre-test would only be done when destinations in the Caribbean feel comfortable enough and have enough of their population vaccinated.  Right now more that 50% of Caribbean residents still have not been vaccinated, and most islands still have covid requirements that cruise lines still have to abide by.  It isn't a free for all just yet I think it still going to take time for that pre-cruise test to go away.

I agree that the CDC is a piece of the puzzle and another big one is obviously the Ports of Call. I would thing if they opened up the cruises to everyone and you weren't allowed off the ship if you were unvaccinated would probably be acceptable for the time being for them. I know I would be happy just to get on a cruise ship. I do also agree it will be the testing dropped 1st which would be a great start. 

14 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

What Royal should be considering is the logistic of testing. 

Everyday we see less and less places with covid testing available. It's going to get very complicated specially for those who can't use the in home tests. 

That's what I see as the first thing that would get removed hopefully soon. Looking at the other topics in here and that is starting to become the big problem.

28 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

What Royal should be considering is the logistic of testing. 

Everyday we see less and less places with covid testing available. It's going to get very complicated specially for those who can't use the in home tests. 

That would have to come down from the CDC to change testing.  

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That would have to come down from the CDC to change testing.  

I'm referring to making easier for the non US travelers to take a test before cruising, maybe with a partnership with a 3rd party lab or any other option different that "look for yourself"...

2 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

I'm referring to making easier for the non US travelers to take a test before cruising, maybe with a partnership with a 3rd party lab or any other option different that "look for yourself"...

You would hope that CLIA would fight hard for the CDC to drop that Test to Cruise requirement. 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Ja-sun said:

You know very well that Royal wants to get back to 100% and pre-covid times, but any little change, and they take them back a step, then that means less people on the ships. Which means less money for Royal. This would eventually be passed down to us someway, somehow. I think it's smart for them to err on the side of caution for now. Until the numbers go down.

Royal is rapidly approaching 100% capacity WITH the current protocols in place. The on board experience is pretty close to pre covid, and is inching closer and closer every week.  

I see no catalyst here to push them to change anything quickly.

3 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Royal is rapidly approaching 100% capacity WITH the current protocols in place. The on board experience is pretty close to pre covid, and is inching closer and closer every week.  

I see no catalyst here to push them to change anything quickly.

Except they're in the process of running a KSF promotion without summer blackout dates. I'm sure going from 85% to a 100% capacity is a big enough carrot in terms of pure profit margin to make it worth their while.