Pier Assist

During a live blog on YouTube in January, I asked Matt what kind of boarding/disembarking assistance Royal had for those with physical impairmentsI. I asked because I was scheduled for (and had) a total knee replacement on Feb 8th. But we were also scheduled to board Allure in Fort Lauderdale on Mar 13

Matt advised to contact Royal and ask for Pier Assist. So I did that through my trusty MEI travel agent (shout out to Kelley Hardy)

What I can tell you is it was a true revalation in customer service. We found the Pier Assist spot very easily and I was promptly popped into a wheelchair for boarding. My "driver" couid not have been better.  Sheryl and I were whisked through the security process in record time, and were quickly taken to the transition point. This is where a member of Allure's crew took over and had me onboard in a few moments, depositing me outside Cafe Promenade until our cabin was ready.

Shortly thereafter, remembering the words of my physiotherapist (motion is lotion), although I had the option to retain the wheelchair for the whole cruise, I made the somewhat erroneous decision to return the wheelchair to guest services. (I can be an idiot if I want to and this occassion was no exception).

Prior to disembarking, we confirmed with guest services how pier assist worked for ship to shore. On the day we arrived at the appropriate spot on the promenade, once more deposited into a wheelchair. This time it was down to the transition point with a member of crew, and picked up by a wheelchair driver from the terminal who zipped us through customs and immigration and all the way to the car.

Huge Kudos to all involved. From Matt to Kelley, then the staff at the terminal and of course, the ships company of Allure. I thank you one and all for enhancing what was a difficult time for both myself and Sheryl.  Sheryl of course takes the prize

Impressive - I also had full knee replacement in December, and was concerned that my Cruise in March (12 weeks post surgery) would be a challenge.  looking back, I shouldn't have been worried as at 12 weeks, I was about 95 percent healed and had no limitations on any activities (except running, and high impact type stuff).  My leg was still "tired" after a long day or a lot of walking on board and on excursions.  It never occurred to me that there was a service to help someone in your situation!  glad you had a good time!

9 hours ago, Mark_A said:

Impressive - I also had full knee replacement in December, and was concerned that my Cruise in March (12 weeks post surgery) would be a challenge.  looking back, I shouldn't have been worried as at 12 weeks, I was about 95 percent healed and had no limitations on any activities (except running, and high impact type stuff).  My leg was still "tired" after a long day or a lot of walking on board and on excursions.  It never occurred to me that there was a service to help someone in your situation!  glad you had a good time!

Thanks tis much appreciated. Another idiot move of mine was not taking my ice machine. Electing instead for cold gel packs as a substitute. Our cabin attendant was amazing in keeping me supplied with ice buckets to chill them down. Not as good as the ice chiller, but took the edge off. Honestly, I cannot praise Royal enough for the help I had.

Incidentally, my surgery was delayed by 2 weeks, so I should have been much further along in the recovery process. If I were to go this week it would be a completely different experience, although I would still gladly accept the Pier Assist again.