CPAP machine

My wife & I are in our 70’s & both use CPAP machines when sleeping. We are cruising on Allure of the seas (5/27-6/5) in a balcony cabin. While info has been difficult to gather, it appears as though there is only one electrical outlet in the vicinity of the bed(s) & it looks like a European (220) receptacle. Trying to be proactive w/this issue to avoid embarkation day problems. Can anyone help w/this ?

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to CPAP machine
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, Hoebo123 said:

My wife & I are in our 70’s & both use CPAP machines when sleeping. We are cruising on Allure of the seas (5/27-6/5) in a balcony cabin. While info has been difficult to gather, it appears as though there is only one electrical outlet in the vicinity of the bed(s) & it looks like a European (220) receptacle. Trying to be proactive w/this issue to avoid embarkation day problems. Can anyone help w/this ?

We are sailing on the same cruise, also in a balcony cabin, and I also use a CPAP.  My TA noted this when making our reservations and included it on our travel documents. 

If I were you, I would have your TA contact RC Special Needs Dept and request an extension cord and distilled water be provided to your room for both of your CPAPs. 

I read somewhere that there is an outlet located under the bed which is the perfect place to plug in the cord for your CPAPS.

I have sailed with a C-Pap many times.  I always make a request at booking to provide an extension cord and distilled water.  Originally, the cord and water were waiting for us in our room.  On later cruises, the items weren't delivered until I asked our cabin attendant.  But they've always been supplied.

On some ships, the 110v outlet was convenient to the bedside, on others, the extension cord was plugged in elsewhere in the cabin.   

Yes to all respondents.  My experience was the same.  Make sure you or your TA registers your needs in the "Special Needs" portion of the reservation/website.  They will have "distilled water" and an extension cord waiting on you in your cabin.  Be prepared though, at least our experience, the extension cord was a 25 or 50 (can't remember which) foot construction type extension cord.  Which means it can get in the way and/or create a tripping hazard and it looked like it was just taken off of a construction site. But, it was there and we, my wife and I who both use CPAPs, slept well.  BTW, we were on the Symphony and we really didn't need the extension cord as there were 120v outlets right next to each side of the bed and we had a 4 plug insert to the outlet. Plenty of electric for charging mobile devices and running a CPAP.    

13 hours ago, WAYNO said:

I have sailed with a C-Pap many times.  I always make a request at booking to provide an extension cord and distilled water.  Originally, the cord and water were waiting for us in our room.  On later cruises, the items weren't delivered until I asked our cabin attendant.  But they've always been supplied.

On some ships, the 110v outlet was convenient to the bedside, on others, the extension cord was plugged in elsewhere in the cabin.   

Thanks for sharing. Was there a charge for the distilled water? 

38 minutes ago, jay1021 said:

Not for me/us.

This was the reply email when I completed the special needs form:

Tue 4/20/2021 8:46 AM
To: You
Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding your CPAP/BIPAP. 

We will provide you with the distilled water and an extension cord, at no extra cost. These items will be placed in your stateroom on the day of sailing.

Please carry your CPAP/BIPAP machine onboard with your carry-on luggage. Please do not check it in with the porters.

We have noted your reservation accordingly.

Best regards,
Access Advocate

• 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, bobm174 said:

Are the extensions they provide large enough if you're sleeping on the far side of the bed? Going to cruise on Navigator the seas and it looks like the outlet is quite a distance away from the bed

Yeah, they're always at least 20 foot cords.  We have to keep well over half of it rolled up so it's not in the path of anyone getting up in the middle of the night.

It has been my experience that the cabin stewards will (often without being asked) tape the extension cord down with painter's tape to eliminate/reduce the tripping hazard.  Just let them know!  And, if the water/extension cord aren't in your cabin when you first get in, let your steward know and he/she will track it down for you.

I usually route the cord under the bed.