Texting other guests

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 10:41 PM, AshleyDillo said:

It's a chat feature within the Royal app. You pay $1.99 per day per device. Everyone you would want to chat with has to be on the cruise and also purchase the chat feature.

How do we get charged? And does everyone in the room get charged or just the people that want to text each other? 

Thanks!

15 hours ago, therealbigredrules said:

Note.  The chat feature is not included as part of the internet package. It is an extra charge on top of VOOM. Distasteful / nickel and dime after dropping a few hundred for VOOM in my view.

I agree it's silly the chat feature isn't included if you have Voom, however, if you buy the Voom package there's no need for the Royal Caribbean chat feature. You can use any messaging app out there to do the same thing without the chat feature cost. Facebook messenger, Whatsapp, Skype, etc.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I agree it's silly the chat feature isn't included if you have Voom, however, if you buy the Voom package there's no need for the Royal Caribbean chat feature. You can use any messaging app out there to do the same thing without the chat feature cost. Facebook messenger, Whatsapp, Skype, etc.

Unless I missed an alternative approach.  It is needed if only 2 of the 4 in your group have voom internet.  In our case, I purchased the full Voom package for my 2 kids.  The 2 adults "survived" a week without internet. I had no issue paying for myself and wife to text (although other lines include this for free).  The rub for me is having to then pay for the kids so the entire family could chat.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

RC needs to scrap the chat feature and just allow free or reduced price access to just the popular messaging apps, much like airlines do

I totally agree but that isn't the Royal way.  They toiled with the chat feature for 18 months delaying it's rollout while they struggled to find a way to get notifications working without allowing other chats apps to work.  It's that important to them that they delayed the revenue stream to keep 3rd party chat from working.  

I just got off the Allure.  My siblings and I all purchased the CHAT to help keep in touch with each other.  Only the people using chat needs to pay for chat.  It helped us keep in touch.  The only problem I had was there was no notification of new chat messages.  I would recommend it. 

18 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I just got off the Allure.  My siblings and I all purchased the CHAT to help keep in touch with each other.  Only the people using chat needs to pay for chat.  It helped us keep in touch.  The only problem I had was there was no notification of new chat messages.  I would recommend it. 

How did you pay? Ahead of time or does it have an option once on board. 

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Once you are on board and agree to use the chat feature, you will be charged on your seapass account immediately and for the full week.  

As to notifications, I got new messages notifications just fine, almost as quickly as push notifications.  I even got notifications on my Apple Watch.  It is a reliable and good way to chat with your family members.

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

You can only sign up for it one you are on board.  Just click on the bubble in the upper right corner of the RC app.  You will get a screen, listing the price ($1.99/day), and telling you that you can only communicate with others who had purchased the service.