proctored covid tests

I'm wondering about the online proctored tests. Several other companies besides Abbott offer proctored covid tests, are these accepted by RC for boarding? I called RC twice and one person said if proctored yes, the other one wasn't sure. Can someone give me a positive answer?

Thanks Dennis

2 hours ago, Dennis O said:

I'm wondering about the online proctored tests. Several other companies besides Abbott offer proctored covid tests, are these accepted by RC for boarding? I called RC twice and one person said if proctored yes, the other one wasn't sure. Can someone give me a positive answer?

Thanks Dennis

Right now, it appears just Abbott is being 100% accepted. However, if you can get a proctored test with all the pertinent info, I am sure RCG will accept. The CLIA number, DOB, Test results and Name are what is required and what most port workers are looking for. 

4 hours ago, Dennis O said:

Thanks Dennis

The Abbott Test is just one manufacturer that is acceptable and it happens that Abbott has partnered with Royal.  But, that doesn't mean that Royal won't accept others.  As long as your test meets the requirements, it doesn't matter what the manufacturer you use.  If you look about 4 or 5 lines below, the "Accepted Types of Tests and Results" doesn't mention any manufacturer.  See the following for detail:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from U.S. Ports including San Juan, Puerto Rico

Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status.   If you are unclear on test requirements for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is only accepted for vaccinated guests, and only when it is conducted under live video supervision. Learn more about acceptable telehealth tests including our home test kit.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.
  • Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests.

More on Abbott Brand Tests

We get a lot of questions about Abbott tests, the most commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s accepted.

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision. Learn more about our Abbott telehealth home test kit.
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, if taken at home and not supervised by a telehealth representative, is NOT accepted.

Where to Get Your Test

COVID-19 testing is very common nowadays. Most local pharmacy chains offer it, and most county or state websites can help you find a local public testing site. You can also go to a doctor’s office, diagnostic lab, or telehealth provider to get your test. For example, Quest Diagnostics offers appointments at over 1,500 locations in the U.S. with testing at no cost if you are eligible.

For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 2 to 3 days before your sail date, depending on your age and vaccination status. Learn more about how to calculate which days you can take your test.

Make sure that your selected test provider can provide you a valid results document in time for your travel.

Providing Your Results On Boarding Day

You will present your negative test result at the terminal upon boarding. Print out your result if possible for easy access, as you may need to present it at various points. We will also accept a valid results document presented on your phone. 

If you get a positive test result on your pre-cruise test, please call us at 1-800-256-6649 so we can rework your cruise plans.

ALSO

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/is-there-a-telemedicine-option-for-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

46 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

Yes. When using the Optum tests you actually go through eMed to do the telehealth testing. These are the same as the Optum tests but at a lower per test price point.

2 hours ago, Dennis O said:

I know about the Abbott test but I was mainly asking about a company call iHealth, they do on line proctor $8.99 for the test and $20. for the proctor, and wanted to know if this would be accepted?

There is no problem with ihealth.  ihealth labs has their own app, Abbott uses one called NAVICA.  I believe, meaning I'm not sure, ihealth manufacturers it's own test kits and uses its own App., wear as I don't believe NAVICA manufacturers any test kits but supports Abbott.  But, it's possible, I guess, one manufacturer can make test kits for both, all, or some.  

Personally, I'd just not worry about it.  Royal's site spells out what is acceptable and what's not.  No need to read into anything.  Just make sure that whatever you chose to use, it falls within the parameters that Royal requires.  

I get into it because I'm old and I enjoy research and it keeps my mind busy.  This is how I am about 70 percent of the day.  🤪

WIN_20220327_19_34_55_Pro.jpg

17 hours ago, jay1021 said:

There is no problem with ihealth.  ihealth labs has their own app, Abbott uses one called NAVICA.  I believe, meaning I'm not sure, ihealth manufacturers it's own test kits and uses its own App., wear as I don't believe NAVICA manufacturers any test kits but supports Abbott.  But, it's possible, I guess, one manufacturer can make test kits for both, all, or some.  

Personally, I'd just not worry about it.  Royal's site spells out what is acceptable and what's not.  No need to read into anything.  Just make sure that whatever you chose to use, it falls within the parameters that Royal requires.  

I get into it because I'm old and I enjoy research and it keeps my mind busy.  This is how I am about 70 percent of the day.  🤪

WIN_20220327_19_34_55_Pro.jpg

I do worry about it because I don't want to get to the port and not be able to board if Royal won't accept a certain test

13 minutes ago, Dennis O said:

I do worry about it because I don't want to get to the port and not be able to board if Royal won't accept a certain test

I would call and see if they provide all the pertinent info. I used one of those pop-up free places as my last test. I had to go to multiple ones to satisfy the criteria. If iHealth will give you something with a valid CLIA number, DOB etc., you will have no problem boarding. 

Per the iHealth Verified COVID Test Service FAQ at https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service#faqs

Can I use your verified test service for international travel (outside the U.S.)?

Our test kits and video-proctoring service are suitable for boarding a return flight back to the U.S. For other countries, please consult with your airline or cruise line for more information as different countries have different entry requirements. 

This leads me to believe that this service will suffice for Royal's testing requirements as well.

The crucial piece is what does the iHealth report look like?  As long as it has all the components that Royal is looking for as written in their testing FAQ, they will accept it.

Just for clarification, I submitted a question to Royal, through their website "CONTACT" page and asked directly if Abbott pre-cruise rapid home telehealth testing is the only acceptable test.  I also asked  that if it isn't, please provide a list of acceptable manufacturers/test telehealth test kits.  This was a few days ago and I'm still waiting on a response.  Go figure.  

The response from calling and talking to their "phone answerers" doesn't provide any better info.  

20 hours ago, jay1021 said:

Just for clarification, I submitted a question to Royal, through their website "CONTACT" page and asked directly if Abbott pre-cruise rapid home telehealth testing is the only acceptable test.  I also asked  that if it isn't, please provide a list of acceptable manufacturers/test telehealth test kits.  This was a few days ago and I'm still waiting on a response.  Go figure.  

The response from calling and talking to their "phone answerers" doesn't provide any better info.  

I also called TC twice inquiring if any other proctored test would be acceptable and 1 person said they weren't sure and the other said it "should be", should be isn't good enough for me. I need to know for sure

1 hour ago, Dennis O said:

I also called TC twice inquiring if any other proctored test would be acceptable and 1 person said they weren't sure and the other said it "should be", should be isn't good enough for me. I need to know for sure

EXACTLY!  It's a crap shoot when you call Royal's "phone answerers".  I don't know why they can't properly train their, so called "vacation planners" or what ever they are called.  You would think that with the importance of a thousand dollar +/- cruise on the line, the whole COVID thing would be high on their list of training.  Guess not!  I'm just glad that the moment I step on the ship, I'm done with the "Land Side" of Royal!