Alaska Testing - supervised antigen? + Seattle recommendations

Scoular

Hi All,

I’ve seen the recent release on testing and I cruise on the 5th May on Ovation. What isn’t completely clear is if the antigen test has to be supervised or not. Does anyone know?

Separately, I accidentally miscalculated our cruise length and turns out I booked our return flight 2 days late 😂 oh well, 2days extra in Seattle! We’re already going early and flying to Seattle first to explore it, then a few days in Vancouver before embarking on our cruise but looks like we’ll be back to explore further. Any recommendations on what to do in Seattle since we now have so long there after our cruise? 😅

We cruise AK as well, later in May.  Current protocols, which are subject to change, require tests that are administered locally, or video-supervised.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/pre-cruise-testing

And we will be around after our cruise. We will be driving out to Mt Ranier National Park. There is also Whidbey Island and Snoqualmie Falls.  Then there is Woodinville for wine-tastings at the different wineries.We aren’t interested in downtown Seattle ourselves, but there are the tourist spots there as well. 

Enjoy your trip! 🙂

16 minutes ago, KJones said:

We've done day trips to Mt. Ranier, and to Snoqualmie Falls + wine tasting in Woodinville. Of course, these would require a rental car.

Your comment reminded me of a tip for rental cars. We use Enterprise, and they had no cars available at the airport. But the Enterprise Exotics nearby did. So, for just a few $ difference, we will be driving a Mercedes, Porsche, or similar. Apparently there is a market in Seattle for exotics. 

1 hour ago, Scoular said:

Hi All,

I’ve seen the recent release on testing and I cruise on the 5th May on Ovation. What isn’t completely clear is if the antigen test has to be supervised or not. Does anyone know?

Separately, I accidentally miscalculated our cruise length and turns out I booked our return flight 2 days late 😂 oh well, 2days extra in Seattle! We’re already going early and flying to Seattle first to explore it, then a few days in Vancouver before embarking on our cruise but looks like we’ll be back to explore further. Any recommendations on what to do in Seattle since we now have so long there after our cruise? 😅

Short answer, YES, all testing must be supervised.  Long answer, see below:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from North America (U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada)

Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status. If you are unclear on test requirements for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is only accepted for vaccinated guests, and only when it is conducted under live video supervision. Learn more about acceptable telehealth tests including our home test kit.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.
  • Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests.

More on Abbott Brand Tests

We get a lot of questions about Abbott tests, the most commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s accepted.

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision. Learn more about our Abbott telehealth home test kit.
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, if taken at home and not supervised by a telehealth representative, is NOT accepted.

Where to Get Your Test

COVID-19 testing is very common nowadays. Most local pharmacy chains offer it, and most county or state websites can help you find a local public testing site. You can also go to a doctor’s office, diagnostic lab, or telehealth provider to get your test. For example, Quest Diagnostics offers appointments at over 1,500 locations in the U.S. with testing at no cost if you are eligible.

For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 2 to 3 days before your sail date, depending on your age and vaccination status. Learn more about how to calculate which days you can take your test.

Make sure that your selected test provider can provide you a valid results document in time for your travel.

Providing Your Results On Boarding Day

You will present your negative test result at the terminal upon boarding. Print out your result if possible for easy access, as you may need to present it at various points. We will also accept a valid results document presented on your phone. 

If you get a positive test result on your pre-cruise test, please call us at 1-800-256-6649 so we can rework your cruise plans.

AND

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

Required Testing for All Guests Sailing Round-Trip From U.S. Homeports

This info covers cruises that begin and end within North America. Guests on one-way transatlantic sailings should see the next section.

All Guests: Required Pre-Cruise Testing 

Before boarding day, you’ll need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense.

• Vaccinated guests must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. NOTE: Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.
  • Unvaccinated kids’ pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids’ test at the terminal.
  • Learn more about how to calculate which days you can take your test.
  • Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-cruise test. 

If you're travelling to the U.S. from another country, you'll also need to take a PCR or antigen test to enter the U.S.

For guests on a cruise that visits Bermuda, additional travel and testing requirements may apply to your sailing. Learn more.

Unvaccinated Kids Age 2-11: Additional Complimentary Testing

In addition to the pre-cruise test, unvaccinated kids will take one or two more tests, depending on the length of the cruise. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests.

On boarding day, 

• Unvaccinated kids will take a complimentary test when checking in at the terminal. Registration details will be sent via email in advance. 
  • For cruises that are 5 nights or longer, unvaccinated kids will take a complimentary antigen test onboard before the cruise ends. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.
  • For sailings from Seattle, Washington, unvaccinated kids age 5 – 11 will take a complimentary test within 1 day of arrival to Canada. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.

Guests Under the Age of 2

Guests under the age of 2 have no testing requirements.

NOTE: Sailings longer than 10 nights may have additional onboard testing requirements

Alaska Cruisetour Guests: Required Pre-Tour Testing

Royal Caribbean Cruisetour guests need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense, before the land-tour portion of your Cruisetour.

• Vaccinated guests must show a negative result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before the day the land tour starts. Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before the day the land tour starts. Guests under 2 years of age do not need to complete a pre-Cruisetour test.

Cruisetour guests will also need to complete the pre-cruise testing to board the ship in addition to the pre-tour testing. Vaccinated guests are advised to bring an eMed test kit with them on their Cruisetour to meet the pre-cruise testing requirement. For vaccinated guests without a test kit or unvaccinated kids age 2-11 in need of a PCR test, a testing provider in Anchorage will be available to test guests at their own expense. Details on how to register for testing in Anchorage will be provided by your Cruisetour guide.

24 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Of course, it’s a fluid situation, and at some point they could require boosters….or do away with pre-cruise testing all together. I expect the latter at any time, since I ordered our 6 pack of video-monitored tests from eMed today. 😂

Ohhhhh man, I hope you are right.