RCL vs. Disney

34 minutes ago, robert52hale said:

We have only sailed twice, both on Disney Cruise.  What costs extra on RCL?  The price point is quite different for the comparable cruises (over $2000).  

Thanks for all your help in advance.

After 7 cruises Disney and 3 on RCL - The biggest extra cost is the soda package at about $10.60 per person per day.  Not necessary if you only drink water.  RC also has beverage packages that include alcohol, which Disney does not.  Standard Balcony rooms are also slightly smaller on RC, but for the price difference, we’ve moved to suites on RC.  On RC, standard dining is in the Main Dining room, no rotation.  RC does have more choices for specialty dining (up charge) than DCL.  

You can go on two to three RCL cruises for the price of one similar DCL cruises.

More choices in food, even included food, than DCL. More ship sizes, itineraries, things to do, better entertainment.

Disney is great for people with little kids, but IMO isn't worth the cost otherwise. And I'm a huge Disney fan.

I cruised on Disney with my son from 2005 to 2013.  That is when Disney priced me out of the market.  If I had an unlimited budget I would cruise Disney all the time.  But because I am on a limited budget I have not done a Disney Cruise in 9 years.  The two things that you need to keep in mind and remind your kids is; If you want sodas you need to do a soda package.  The second is there are many places to eat that are an extra cost.  Other than those two things the things that you pay for and get free are the same.  The staff will be quite different but you will also have more things to do with your kids, wave riders, rock walls, zip lines ...

Keep in mind that you will get lots of responses from a lot of people that do not like Disney or have not been on the ship, so read your responses with a filter on.

We are platinum on Disney, it was all we knew and we sailed her while our daughter was young, we watched her grow up on those ships. It was a special kind of expensive but it was also magical with a little one. We sailed both balcony and concierge & yes the prices were insane. Some friends were doing Royal for Thanksgiving and we were invited to join, after so many Disney voyages we signed on, Harmony of the Seas Owners Suite...we have not looked back. (Diamond at this point) Yes the soda is a small extra cost, pennies compared to the Disney fare. 

With our teen we find Royal is perfect, there are more similarities then differences and Royal crew is amazing, we found them to be better than Disney cast members most times. The specialty experiences are elevated, Disney is limited to the 2 special adult only restaurant spaces right now. I think Royal has a really great product and honestly I was surprised, I did not think it would feel so elevated & it's without being stuffy. 

I am looking forward to sailing the Disney Wish one day well into the future if I am blessed with grandbabies, because the look in their eyes is priceless. My money every time is on Royal though, so many more ships, itinerary's ship activities, just more well rounded. If you stay in a Grand Suite or above on Oasis class you get the wifi, Disney concierge gives you about 20 minutes a sailing. After that it costs $$$

While you don't rotate dining rooms, the menu rotates and honestly Wind Jammer is much better then Cabanas. Until they stop making 4 year olds Disney will be an expensive adventure for a family vacation BUT Royal I personally believe is heads & shoulders above, so much more quality bang for the buck. 

Oh and CoCo Cay crushes Castaway Cay, CRUSHES IT!

Calling @Baked Alaska I know you can help here!

We did Disney once when kids were 3 & 7 and have done 3 RCL with them since.  I'm glad we did Disney once but my kids have never asked to go back on Disney.  They love cruising and we can go on 2-3 cruises on RCL for the price of a Disney Cruise.  Study the ships and what all they offer.  Oasis class is AMAZING with so much for kids of all ages!

What ship are you looking at?  On Quantum class, they charge for iFly and North Star on sea days (and I think the virtual activity on Odyssey) and certain classes have a charge if they bring them back (e.g. cupcake class).

Otherwise activities on the ship are included (e.g. zipline, waterslides, flowrider, bumper cars, rock wall, abyss....depending on what is on the ship you are going on)

There are lots of food options that are included (and very good).  Or you can pay extra for specialty if wanted.

And I agree....with the changes to CoCo Cay...it's truly amazing!  We purchased the waterpark tickets and our kids had a blast! (If your cruise goes there)

11 hours ago, YouthD said:

There is no comparison between Wind Jammer and Cabanas, WJ is soo much better. And food on RCL is better.

Not a rip off at all. Disney charges what it can because enough people will pay their prices.

Not everyone agrees with the pricing, but enough do to fill their ships.

6 Disney, 5 Royal, and 1 Celebrity

We love Royal for its price point and all the activities, especially if you have teens.

I also love the Royal Drink packages (Deluxe and Refreshment), Disney just gouges you from day one on drinks.

Food is better on Disney if you are eating in the complimentary venues 

Coco Cay kicks castaway cays butt in the private island category 

For service there is no comparison, Disney is the clear winner. If you want Disney like service I highly recommend Celebrity but not for kids.